Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095812 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10770 on: August 24, 2020, 04:04:15 am »

Just realized you have to construct some instruments. I have been playing for almost 2 years.

This happened to me a few weeks ago.

I was wondering why my dorfs are not hauling certain instruments to my taverns and temples. Then I read the descriptions of said instruments: large/huge stationary instruments. "What's that, huh?", head to the wiki to read about stuff.

"Oh, you have to build these at the location... So, I've been doing this wrong ever since the procedural instruments came into the game. Oops."

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10771 on: August 25, 2020, 05:54:28 pm »

I just realised I accidentally designated some quantum stockpiles with "block all" instead of "forbid finished goods".

With the result that my dwarfs have spent the last two seasons thinking "this x+pig tail sock+x is the wrong material and quality for this stockpile", dragging it back to the feeder stockpile, putting it back in the dumping minecart, deciding it doesn't fit the stockpile, hauling it back to the feeder stockpile...

At least the feeder stockpile was small enough that not all my dwarfs were wasting their time.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10772 on: September 02, 2020, 02:28:22 pm »

I have a vanilla fort that's 8 years in and it has been running at 35-40 FPS (my cap is 40) all along with only 60 dwarfs.
Then all of a sudden it drops to 5 FPS so I investigated and pinned the blame on the obvious: keas flying around.
After the keas stole some stuff, a couple were killed, and the rest left the map... still 5 FPS... what???
So I started fiddling with some DFHack stuff like "autodump destroy-item" which didn't seem to do what it was meant to, and "cleanowned" which did work.
I also did "deteriorate clothes (& corpses) start", but those wouldn't have an immediate effect obviously.
So I tried making "high traffic areas" for the first time, which was cool and I like it, but no speedup.
After laboring a while at the dismal FPS, I looked at the giant mole trying to come through a locked door from a cavern.

So I unlocked the door and voila, the FPS jumped back to the 30's as the mole sauntered through the door to get caught in a cage trap.
Gotta remember that pathing can cause the slowdown!  Duh!
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10773 on: September 05, 2020, 03:43:52 am »

Just realized my library was also a garbage dump. That's where those dead animals were ending...
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10774 on: September 05, 2020, 07:00:36 am »

My Weapon/Armoursmith has mooded a... lead trinket with pictures of elves. He's now depressed as hell. So am I.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10775 on: September 07, 2020, 12:40:53 am »

Just realized my library was also a garbage dump. That's where those dead animals were ending...

Considering the quality of the books my dwarves usually generate, mine might as well be.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10776 on: September 07, 2020, 03:52:51 am »

Was building a megaproject in smallhands over in community games

realised I made 2 grave errors during construction. First, all the walls were not made of solid silver like I originally intended. Second, I made part of it one tile short and had to redo the entire staircase

its in the next overseer's turn now. here's hoping >>
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10777 on: September 07, 2020, 06:41:27 am »

Keep hoping, recon. I got no promises.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10778 on: September 08, 2020, 11:44:15 pm »

We have just learned that Furnaces must be designed before Construction, after spend the better part of an Hour wondering what was delaying it.

To make Matters worse, We learned it because We enabled Architecture for an unrelated Project.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10779 on: September 17, 2020, 02:51:20 am »

i thought that updating the game had broken the pumps somehow, only to realize that i had evidently hooked up a lever to the gears at some point and had inadvertently pulled it when i was looking for the one that closes the drawbridge gates during a siege.

i still don't know which ones are hooked to that bridge
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 03:24:14 am by nezclaw »
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10780 on: September 17, 2020, 05:07:47 am »

i still don't know which ones are hooked to that bridge

if you have dfhack you can rename buildings (i think it's ctrl-n on the view building screen?)... i like to rename my levers to describe what they do so i don't forget/lose them later

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10781 on: September 17, 2020, 05:10:48 am »

I still don't know which ones are hooked to that bridge

Another way you can use DFHack is moving the cursor over the bridge (or other mechanical device) with the 'q' view, then typing "gui/mechanisms" in the DFHack console will show you what it is linked up to.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10782 on: September 17, 2020, 08:57:04 am »

i *knew* there was a way to check links, thanks.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10783 on: September 17, 2020, 03:25:42 pm »

if you have dfhack you can rename buildings (i think it's ctrl-n on the view building screen?)... i like to rename my levers to describe what they do so i don't forget/lose them later

You don't need DFHack for that anymore.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10784 on: September 17, 2020, 09:12:50 pm »

You don't need DFHack for that anymore.

I used to be lazy about labeling things but once I had a magma cistern set to dump magma out front or to flood the fort with it.  I forgot which lever was which and had too much fun when goblins showed up.
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 729