Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2115107 times)

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10815 on: March 21, 2021, 05:29:42 pm »

Yeah thats what happened lol, someone showed up with a book containing the secrets and then dipped after half the people became necromancers
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #10816 on: March 22, 2021, 03:52:21 pm »

so winter came when i thought i was safe behind my walls..

History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

Byakuren

• Escaped Lunatic
  • What text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10817 on: April 30, 2021, 03:35:38 am »

I wanted to try to do controlled cave-in to get through aquifer

But, what happened... I not only failed at making cave-in because, I messed up layers, and digged/channeled wrong way, but I also ended up doing it too shallow.
Becuase of how I messed up, I made only one layer of ground fall. Which wasn't even enough to get to aquifer itself.

But, this is learning fun, so yay
Just sleepy times

papperwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10818 on: May 07, 2021, 08:23:27 am »

Recently, I have found a world, where almost all the civilisation is either enslaved by goblins or in towers, so I got to play for dead civilisation. After the first two migration waves, I did not get any more dwarfs and I am currently on the population of 22 (without setting any limit in d.init). I also don't get any caravans. So basically a similar scenario to the biodome project with exception of a lot of undead waves. It is really funny because every dwarf matter and every death is really painful (12 years of waiting for replacement). Till this moment I had only four deaths, two based on unmet strange moods (I don't have wool and any wool-bearing animal was not in the vicinity).

Now to the facepalm moment: I recently found adamantine.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10819 on: May 15, 2021, 03:14:11 pm »

I recently set up a 'Dodge This' bridge (1x wide path flanked by deep chasms, with archers firing down the path & weapon traps on it) to keep the goblins at bay until I can get something funnier built.

During the first 'live-fire' test of this bridge, one of my marksdwarves decided that the whole tactic was too dishonorable for him, and so charged out to meet the sole remaining goblin in glorious melee combat. As expected, he immediately had his hairy arse handed to him, but with the last remaining erg of energy left in his crippled body he...dodged. Sideways.

Into the chasm.

After plummeting ~5 Z-levels, he slammed into the bottom floor of the chasm...which was 1 Z-level above the upper part of my base proper. I can only assume that this marksdwarf (with no metal armor) was so prodigiously fat that it was his weight alone that let him punch straight through the floor of the chasm and land in a bleeding heap in the middle of my Manager's bedroom (who slept through the whole thing).

The funniest thing was that this marksdwarf survived the fall. I suspect that he has been the butt of a good few jokes around the barracks ever since, though!

Mystic2000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10820 on: May 30, 2021, 02:09:49 pm »

Had one 2 days ago that was so stupid i made an account here just to document it

To provide context, Claspfactions, first fort that actually got anywhere without me ragequitting due to something going wrong in a dumb/obnoxious way (i'm a huge noob and have no patience lol), still suffering from fallout of first siege which was a pretty bad massacre causing the survivors to suffer massively from stress and depression, was slowly getting back up and installing useful things to boost morale.

Eventually a second siege arrive, for the most part, not a big issue, for immediatly after barely surviving siege one i had set up a new invader hall with a series of atom smashers, the goblins are trapped, the smashers are activated on repeat, they get wiped from existence.

the invader hall and main entrance are both opened again, and fortress operations resume as normal, a library and temple are getting constructed, and a tunnel is set leading to the caverns for trapping a FB inside our invader hall to serve as a spittle turret

things run smoothly, until i see a missing dwarf message, at first nothing too alarming, figured it was an insane one that wandered off somewhere to die (dwarves falling into depression was fairly common by now), until i get another one, and another one, and another one...

at first too confused to really do anything, i press the units key and realise my population had crashed from 80-something dwarves to a mere 13, with 7 of them in perma-rest due to injuries, i start panicking, wondering what in Armok's name was happening

...then i look up at my invader hall

i had forgotten to turn off the smashers who were still triggered on repeat by a idling dwarf, meaning i was atomizing my own populace the entire time

soon after, my FB trapping attempt fails due to a dwarf taking too long to press the lever for the trap (one ****ing tile away from the bridges closing in time) and me lacking the planning to add "buffer" doors so this isn't an issue, and the FB kills off my remaining able dwarves, and after a huge fight with the horde of tamed dogs in the fort (who put up a lot more of a fight than i figured, the FB was in a really sorry state after that, but the thing refused to actually die), Claspfactions falls, and surprisingly, despite the frustration, i don't mind that ending, it wasn't what i expected for a fall of this fort, but the idea of a ancient monster getting swarmed by dogs and tearing it's way through them is pretty metal.

TIL that Losing is more Fun than living on forever as a defacto asylum

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10821 on: June 08, 2021, 11:48:41 am »

Two dwarves are removing two tiles of constructed floor. Above the ocean. Tiles get removed, both dwarves drown. Can you guess what happened?

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10822 on: June 10, 2021, 06:54:19 am »

Built a workshop with a specific collision profile and it got in the way of the dwarf, so I actually lost the dwarf when he went missing, and uh, I didn't find him for like two seasons.

Kinda sad; we missed the miasma though.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10823 on: June 19, 2021, 05:12:45 pm »

Dumping a bucket of water into a dwarven water reactor generates a brief pulse of power, capable of washing away an entire work crew.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Additionally, a single row of screw pumps is sufficient as long as you bring power in from above.  Powering them from the side allows the water just pumped to flow back around deep enough to cause job cancellation spam.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 05:56:31 pm by Schmaven »

IRQ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10824 on: June 30, 2021, 05:02:46 pm »

Not exactly a facepalm from me since it was a random chance, but... I guess I created the shortest existing fortress ever.

Spawned right next to a river between a bunch of crocodiles. Managed to pause after a first couple of dwarves became reptile food but the entire gameplay was something between 10 and 20 seconds.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10825 on: June 30, 2021, 05:36:19 pm »

Not exactly a facepalm from me since it was a random chance, but... I guess I created the shortest existing fortress ever.

Spawned right next to a river between a bunch of crocodiles. Managed to pause after a first couple of dwarves became reptile food but the entire gameplay was something between 10 and 20 seconds.

Reminds me of

"Let's found our settlement here, right in this ogre's face."

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10826 on: June 30, 2021, 05:40:25 pm »

I was recently draining a drowning chamber outdoors, and since there were a couple of survivors I had a military squad stationed nearby. Experienced players probably know what comes next: winter. My squad, which had been standing in 1 and 2 level water as it was pumped out, were encased in ice. Sorry, dwarfcicles, we hardly knew ye!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10827 on: July 01, 2021, 03:19:30 am »

I had something similar where I spawned in a terrifying biome and literally the entire party was thralled by some cloud before being able to do anything at all.  Sometimes the !!FUN!! in this game is just how ridiculous the end is.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10828 on: July 01, 2021, 05:02:38 pm »

Urist McBrewdwarf held a "brewing demonstration" in the farmers guild today, 3/4 of the fort showed up for it... And proceeded to give birth. Wrong kind of brewing demonstration Urist!!!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10829 on: July 02, 2021, 06:03:10 pm »

Congratulations on the fort increase. That's a lot of babies! Were any twins?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 729