Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2117005 times)

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10860 on: October 30, 2021, 05:32:55 pm »

We forgot to assign Fish Cleaning when We started Our Fishing Industry.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10861 on: October 30, 2021, 05:37:31 pm »

There must have been quite a miasma situation before too long.  Hopefully no one was too traumatized by the stench of rotten fish.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10862 on: October 30, 2021, 08:30:13 pm »

There must have been quite a miasma situation before too long.  Hopefully no one was too traumatized by the stench of rotten fish.

That would have alerted Us within the Year.  Alas, We keep Our Fishing Industry above Ground so as to prevent Miasma!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10863 on: November 18, 2021, 05:58:25 am »

I tried linking the masterwork steel sword stockpile and the gold bar stockpile to the magma forge and do some gold studding, but a few lead grates were inside the workshop and got studded with gold instead of the swords...

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10864 on: November 24, 2021, 10:34:42 am »

I just had one when the wiki told me:

"A properly-managed and fully-utilized 3x3 plot growing plump helmets can produce an average of up to 2700 units of alcohol per year, enough to provide food (through booze-cooking with seeds) and drink for a fortress of 95 dwarves."  :o

I have been starting off with 5x6 plump helmet plots for my 10-20 dwarf, year one-two fortresses. The farm plots look so small for all those hungry and thirsty dwarves. I was wondering why, even when bringing 180x plump helmet spawn, I would get messages that I was out of spawn after 2-3 seasons. Guess my two, 5x6 plots explains my food and booze explosions.

I assume food will go bad, hopefully the booze stays fresh..

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10865 on: November 25, 2021, 03:30:43 am »

If the food is stored in containers (barrels or pots) and those containers are stored in a food storage area then the food will no longer reach an expired date or break down.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10866 on: November 25, 2021, 06:31:33 pm »

Ezar Sokan, "The Solider of Phrases"... A Wombat bone Battle Axe. Wombat bone. Worth 28,080 at least, but right into the vault with that and I see no reason for it to ever come back out.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10867 on: November 28, 2021, 03:06:18 pm »

[farming logistic woes]

I recently discovered the same stuff

Ezar Sokan, "The Solider of Phrases"... A Wombat bone Battle Axe. Wombat bone. Worth 28,080 at least, but right into the vault with that and I see no reason for it to ever come back out.

The reason is if you really really want someone killed with style.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10868 on: November 28, 2021, 03:18:30 pm »

I would assign that to an individual that needed "special treatment" and send them against a difficult foe, just to see how well that axe works.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10869 on: November 28, 2021, 10:52:34 pm »

The reason is if you really really want someone killed with style.
I would assign that to an individual that needed "special treatment" and send them against a difficult foe, just to see how well that axe works.

Eh, what to do with it is kind of a moot point now anyway, since I just gave up on that fort and it's werebeaver problem that I clearly wasn't going to be able to get rid of. Would have been just fine if they hadn't sent the same outpost liaison back...
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

axemangeorge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10870 on: December 15, 2021, 11:21:22 pm »

This happened to me once, only I didn't figure it out till I'd inadvertently drafted a necromancer into a melee squad... fighting goblins, fighting goblins, fighting -- zombie mussels? Seriously, 5 full squads stomped and smashed well over 100 clattering reanimated molluscs, three dwarves went completely insane and the clean-up took months. Nobody ate seafood for a long time after that.

axemangeorge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10871 on: December 15, 2021, 11:24:02 pm »

For a good time, assign this legendary weapon to your hammerer.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10872 on: December 16, 2021, 10:04:48 pm »

For a good time, assign this legendary weapon to your hammerer.

To be fair, real-world wombats are made of depleted plutonium and can go through your fence (or your truck) like a tank. They don't call them dif' crackers for nothing.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10873 on: January 13, 2022, 02:05:17 pm »

For some reason my dwarves have chosen to include great axes in their standard embark equipment instead of regular battle axes. Of course nobody can weild them. Not sure why, the game is unmodded.

Guess I'm sending the miners to find ore, I already have three logs from the wagon.

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10874 on: February 04, 2022, 04:44:16 am »

I noticed there were three unhappy dwarves ruining my good time: dwarves that were insane; dwarves that were starving themselves; and dwarves that were berserk.

The berserk dwarves ruined it for everybody because then I had to start locking them in the vault.
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 729