Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2096040 times)

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10890 on: November 11, 2022, 02:54:43 pm »

We installed a new Magma Glass Furnace next to the one a moody Dwarf was using, and the Drop in Magma while the Pipeway filled caused that Furnace to temporarily lose Power

The Dwarf is now Insane.

spikethehobbitmage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10891 on: November 11, 2022, 06:34:14 pm »

My current fort has had a string of them, mostly water related.

• It's located at a corner between three biomes: Thick forest, sand desert, and mountain. Clear cut the forest for logs. Now there are lots of saplings, but no new trees will grow. Doh!
  • All three biomes claimed to have aquifers, but exploratory drilling in each has found all of nothing. My only water source is a single murky pool in a far corner that's frozen for eleven months of the year. Doh!
  • I dug a temporary cistern next to the pool, pumped half of the water into it to clean it, installed a well, and tried to bucket brigade to my fort. Two out of three Dorfs decided they liked contaminated water better and drew from the pool despite it not being a pond zone. Doh!
  • Dorfs couldn't brigade fast enough to beat evaporation, so I only managed to fill a pair of micro-reactors before the temp cistern ran out. Doh!
  • Speaking of evaporation, the pool dried up over summer, too. It doesn't rain here, so it doesn't fill. Doh!
I like the site and have a pre-embark backup, so I'm going to restart in place.

FenrirWoof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10892 on: December 11, 2022, 03:14:54 pm »

I... I didn't think that aquifers could leak DOWNWARD through z-levels.

Thus I was asking "Does Chalk have light aquifers" on Steam.

shadowelite7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10893 on: December 13, 2022, 11:43:37 am »

just starting the Steam version of DF. I did not have food or alcohol to give to the Dwarfs. After watching videos of other player's playthroughs, you can make a Farm underground. I found Red Sand when mining down and realized Plump Helmet was a plant, not an actual Helmet to wear. I survived my first winter and am prepared for what may come next while learning new things along the way.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 11:46:20 am by shadowelite7 »

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10894 on: December 22, 2022, 06:39:40 am »

I removed the ramp to the top of my fort (it's on a hill) to have a protected pasture, etc...
Cyclops: "Hold my guava beer".
Me: *facepalm*

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10895 on: December 22, 2022, 08:39:05 am »

I built my fort in a cavern layer. I found out that it was the second cavern layer when I mined upwards into an underground ocean in the first cavern layer.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10896 on: December 22, 2022, 12:56:10 pm »

I built my fort in a cavern layer. I found out that it was the second cavern layer when I mined upwards into an underground ocean in the first cavern layer.
That's such a wonderful image.

I've been playing a classic fort, dug out of a mud hill with a simple wall around in a tundra environment. Had a hydra camp outside the wall and I made the classic mistake of opening the floodgate just to pick up this one little thing, and then my entire fort full of otherwise idle dwarves streamed out at once, to meet the hydra head on. I think only 30 or so died before my ex-expedition leader put in the final kick to kill the thing.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10897 on: December 22, 2022, 09:24:54 pm »

Some migrants arrived, and were getting slaughtered by giant agitated birds with no path into the fort.  A hatch was unlocked to let some try to make it inside safely, but instead, about a dozen dwarves immediately ran outside and also got killed.  The hatch was again locked, and all hope for the surface lost.

horribleflesheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10898 on: December 27, 2022, 01:17:43 pm »

Ran a ten year fortress focused entirely on making a living looting abandoned sites and pillaging weak settlements. First year, we got ourselves a manual on the secrets of life and death from a tower- and before I had time to quarantine it, our fortress metalsmith had been necrotized. Some time goes by, we have a library right by the trade depot specifically for quickly selling the great volume of written content we acquire daily. The necromancer by now has been promoted to a count, and as a side hustle I've made him his own private, quarantined library to make copies of the secrets of life and death- which has been relocated from being hidden in a wall behind the wine casks to his very own tower.

The trade caravan rolls up, and I have all the copies moved to the depot thinking it'd be cheeky to sell the immortality ticket as an export good every year. Except for some reason, they're under an export prohibition. No matter, I sell the remaining books. Well, I didn't consider that they wouldn't be returned to the quarantine library specifically, and I didn't forbid them. They wound up in the general circulation, and half of my rogues are now undead wizards.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10899 on: January 01, 2023, 06:48:44 am »

After carefully trading to the maximum weight allowance of the caravan, I accidentally right clicked, and had to re-do everything.  Then, after getting everything just about designated for trade again, tried to type "leather" into the search bar, but the cursor wasn't in the window, so it closed the trade screen, and I had to re-do everything.  The letters L, T & H will immediately close the trade screen.  Search at your own peril.  Facepalming because the accidental right clicking has happened many times.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 12:41:32 pm by Schmaven »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10900 on: January 01, 2023, 11:06:16 pm »

A visiting marksdwarf decided to shoot down a human swordsman in my tavern for no apparent reason. He managed to miss the first four shots, crippling a dog, blowing a child's brains all over the floor, and kneecapping an off-duty militia trainee in the process. He snapped off a few parting shots to badly wound the human while fleeing into the spiral stack and ducking out at the next level up to hide from my first responders. The latter were composed of my militia commander and half his squad of legendary soldiers who did their thing, breaching and clearing the unfinished hab block in hot pursuit, bolts bouncing off of their steel plate. They splattered the miscreant across most of the room he was hiding in, then noticed that his murder weapon was a very nice artifact crossbow.

Genuinely befuddled as to what this guy was thinking. There wasn't any congestion, he just opened fire at another visitor from across the main dining hall. Best I can reckon is that something happened out in the world with their civs/groups. Got a sweet artifact crossbow out of his attempt to be a spaghetti western protagonist, at any rate.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10901 on: January 13, 2023, 03:59:54 pm »

My military dwarves have equipped my vials (one being full of golden salve) and poured booze in them.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10902 on: February 07, 2023, 04:40:52 pm »

My current fort features a z-level wide maze.
In the middle of it there's a battlement for the dwarves to practice shooting and battlements to repel the invaders.
So, this undead/gobbo siege comes.
It took them over 10 irl hours to get through the maze (I got 7 fps).
When they were passing the battlements my dwarves en masse went for a fresh supply of bolts...
Then, of course I found that there's a crack in the maze which allows the invaders to skip 50% of the most dangerous battlements section...
Now, 10+ hours later the first, most agile and fleet of foot, stragglers are getting to my melee squads.
You know what they have done?
After one gobbo had died, most of his buddies turned around and went looking for the exit!!!
I am FUMING here.

sniper_231996

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to make people happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10903 on: February 16, 2023, 03:24:41 am »

This sure is a strong facepalm :
https://youtu.be/I4ZJp_2qEb4
- Dungeon Lord Sniper

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10904 on: February 16, 2023, 10:05:38 am »

ohno

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729