Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2135967 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1860 on: June 14, 2010, 11:13:03 am »

watching an animal trainer follow someone halfway around the map instead of waiting for them to drop the caged horse off at the animal stockpile.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: June 14, 2010, 01:22:55 pm »

I embarked on a pretty awesome looking map. In search of bronze (as I had pledged not to use steel) and bismuth, i had chosen a map rich in granite and limestone - things were shaping up quite well. There was one small problem, namely the huge 19 z-level waterfall that was slowing my fps right to a crawling 40 fps.

Of course, I haven't learned the lesson that water is deadly just yet.

I decide to stop the river by damming it where the waterfall began, and building my fort by carving it into the base. The plan was to dig a stairway down next to the river, and a walkway across, then dam the river with a wall.

'Dig here,' I told the miner. She looked at me with a knowing glance, and heaved the weight of her pickaxe onto her back. She hit the ground with rapid strokes, chipping away large chunks of limestone with ease. Surely enough, the stairway formed before my eyes in mere moments, an almost awe inspiring feat.
     'Deep enough?' she called, up from the little pit she had dug herself at the side. I stared out across the waterfall, noticing a slight error in my judgement of where the stairwell should have been placed.
     'Deep enough!?' she repeated, jolting me awake from my daydreaming. I called out to her in response.
      'Aye, deep enough.'
     There was a sigh of relief. 'Can I get back to my mining now?'
     'Not yet. I need that tunnel widened slightly - could you tunnel this section slightly towards the south?'
     She gave me a look. 'Sure... why?'
     'I just misjudged the position a bit, that's all.'
     There was a strained grunt as the pickaxe was hauled back into the miner's huge arms. It was swung rapidly, tapping out a rhythmic pattern against the limestone wall beneath. Almost hypnotising.
     I stood, watching the water of the brook trickle off the cliff. In a few minutes, the entire stream downriver would be robbed of water. Combined with the hypnotic tapping of the miner's pick, I suppose I phased out.

I was awoken by screaming.
     In a flash, I saw the hulking body of the miner wrenched from beneath me in a twisted gait, slamming her upper body into the sharp limestone crevasse that overhung the cascading water. I leapt forward, arms outstretched, but to no avail.
     Helplessly, I watched the body tumble into the abyss. I stood, mortified, until the echoing scream had died away, leaving the silence of the mountain to embrace me.
     Hurriedly, I dashed down the cliff edge, in search of the body. There had been no 'crunch', no sound of any impact with the ground, merely the resonating scream that had torn apart my eardrums, and scattered the goats who had been grazing nearby.
     I got no further than the entryway to the gorge. Here, the waters of the brook trickled through, once a pure, crystal spring that reflected the morning sunlight.
     Now, the crystal water was contaminated with a red stream that flowed through it, twisting this way and that, like blood red tendrils. Something lay in the current, not too far away, disturbing the flow.
     Entirely out of curiosity, I picked it up to examine it closer. It was heavy, and wooden - it felt quite stiff, though, and felt as if it hadn't been long. I hauled it up to get a closer look.
     It was the pickaxe.
     Dangling from the handle, was the late miner's hand, torn off at the wrist.
     I hadn't even gotten her name.

I facepalmed with such ferocity from that one I gave myself a headache.
Stands to reason I abandoned the fort on reflex.
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: June 14, 2010, 07:17:54 pm »

My entire fortress is gone. The whole thing fell into the fucking ocean.

I was trying to make my entrance a bit nicer, and was wondering if mist could rise up through floor grates. So I removed one of the tiles connecting my fort to the mainland and replaced it with a grate. I then repeated this process for the other two tiles, assuming the grates still acted as connectors. Well, they don't. The whole fortress instantly plummeted into the murky deep when I removed the last floor tile. All of the food, weapons, and items were in the fort as well. Yet not a single dwarf died from this. Through some miracle, they all were down in the caverns or in the workshops when the fort broke. Still, I obviously abandoned. I still find it hard to believe that I managed to do this. I can only imagine what it's like for the dwarves emerging from the mine, seeing the remains of their beloved home sinking to the bottom of the ocean.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: June 15, 2010, 12:45:47 am »

Dug a deep well shaft to the first cavern layer, only to have my miner miss the landing pad I made for him.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: June 15, 2010, 01:38:39 am »

That's...wow. I've lost my share of dwarves to the grates-and-bridges-pretend-to-be-supports bug, but the entire fort?

Now historians will write of a city which vanished from the face of the planet in a single night. It will become a legendary place with technology eclipsing the state-of-the-art and unimaginable vaults of treasure. And when someone claims that this city really did exist, and sank not from the wrath of the gods, but because of a line of floor grates, people will look at him funny.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:40:42 am by Eidako »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: June 15, 2010, 06:26:57 am »

Knowing her fate, SlapTunnels sent out wagons to all corners of the world. On board were the Seven: the Miner, the physician, the farmer, the mechanic, the mason, and all the other Legendary Dwarfs of Legend...

...Way doooooown below the ocean, where I wanna be, she may be...

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 06:39:36 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: June 15, 2010, 07:53:54 am »

First game of DF2010 I played. I dug straight down to get to see the magma seas and ended up making some new friends. Needless to say, my dwarves were all 'boned'. First and last time I blindly dig without a prepared defence.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: June 15, 2010, 08:00:32 am »

Hi!

I still find it hard to believe that I managed to do this. I can only imagine what it's like for the dwarves emerging from the mine, seeing the remains of their beloved home sinking to the bottom of the ocean.

:) :) :)

Hauler 1: Hmmpf, now just to place this in the stock ... Hey? Where did our fortress go?
Hauler 2: Huh!? You are right! Where is it?
Hauler 1: Hey! McDigger! Do you know where our home went?
McDigger: Ah, mmmhhhh, ... no? I don't think I know what happened. I think I gotta go.

Deathworks

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #1868 on: June 15, 2010, 12:27:40 pm »

I just had one. I like to embark on 'interesting' locations - high savagery, high evil, and at least 3 biomes for diversity - and until now, hadn't ended up somewhere with no water on the map. To make it better, this map -also- had very, very few trees, all of which had been made into beds before I noticed the lack of water.

I noticed the lack of water when I got the first 'Urist McDwarf dies of thirst...'

In a panic, I make sure the brewer and the carpenter and the woodcutter are still alive, and I devote all my resources to making just one barrel from the last log I have, and then trying to get someone to make some booze out of the berries in my food pile. I had to redesignate a new carpenter once and a new brewer three times, due to the current one dying of thirst while working, but in the end I managed to get a barrel of Strawberry Wine produced in time to save the last three dwarves, who all died to skeletal eagles about a month later.

Whoops.

Damn skeletal eagles, swooped in and grabbed the first dwarf by his head, shook him a little, and the head came off. Ouch.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: June 15, 2010, 04:33:23 pm »

I have recently embarked on a glacier. I remembered not to bring an axe to cut trees, since there won't be any, since I'm not planning to hit the caverns very soon. Thing is, I forgot to bring wood to make beds with. Crap.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

darkwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: June 15, 2010, 08:42:30 pm »

Logged in not only because the forums are cool, but also to share my first major facepalm moment.

Randomly genned a world, and it had rather a *lot* of water... so much so, that there were maybe 5 places without aquifers. Being a pussy, I said to myself "Okay, let's find somewhere without an aquifer..."

A little bit later... "Hrm, perfect! Now, what's the biomes... huh? evil? naaaah, can't be that bad."

I'd just started excavating my workshop area when skeletal mountain goats started slaughtering my band of dorfs.

*facedesk*

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: June 15, 2010, 09:08:54 pm »

So does that mean you've just made Dwarven Atlantis?
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: June 15, 2010, 10:19:22 pm »

40d, two face palms for the same fort, things are going pretty good, I finished the Great Wall of Deforestation and finally got around to carving out rooms so my 79 dorfs don't have to share 12 beds in the barracks, and Urist Mccarpenter cancels make bed, needs wood logs. facepalm #1 while wood trickles back in as trees regrow.

The second was that with the walls made and bridges raised I let my adamant axe wielding steel clad 'hero' go off duty to go fart around in the barracks, i figured since he was a 1 man squad he would just chillax till i told him to do something. A bit of not paying attention later and i get a "soandso fortress guard has been struck down" thats when I notice that 9 legendary wrestlers are in bed with yellow or red injuries.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: June 15, 2010, 11:51:11 pm »

The time i tried to get my miner to mine away this annoying stone blocking my megaproject,little did i know that that large stone was supporting heavier weight,suddenly CRASH!*urist mcminer has been struck down* without a miner i was f***ed.

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: June 16, 2010, 12:35:46 am »

Get the first mood of my fortress today. Takes one log...and makes a crossbow. I now have an artifact crossbow and a legendary bowdwarf in a version where pewpewdwarves are bugged. D:
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 729