Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095509 times)

Mandemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2220 on: August 04, 2010, 10:31:07 am »

Digged the fortress into ground, with no mountains. Had everything running fine, when I decided to expand my farming network. Digged farm area, channels and everything. Dug the last part of the channel to let water.

Noticed I had forgot to add flood gates. On the first floor. Entire fortress was drowned when water came down the stair well.

These days I add doors where ever I can and have few "safe places" to run and retreat.
█████
█████
NOGRANIA SHALL NEVER DIE

Cannalan Pirate

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: August 04, 2010, 10:56:11 am »

These days I add doors where ever I can and have few "safe places" to run and retreat.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #2222 on: August 04, 2010, 10:58:21 am »

Constructed a cistern and buckets, started the bucket brigade to fill it up. While they were filling it, I got a well set up, so the nurses could get water from the cistern without wandering all the way outside while the patients died of thirst. As soon as the well was finished, all the bucket brigade dwarfs began filling their buckets from the well. I had 20 dwarves in a small room, taking water from a well and pouring it into a hole to fill the well.
I didn't realize it until a season later when I realized that the cistern wasn't getting any fuller.

Yeah, that happened with my hospital's cistern too. Dorfs were running around filling it with it's own water.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2223 on: August 04, 2010, 11:39:11 am »

I wanted to try waterwheel, but I couldn't get it to work so I decided to pump that pump manually. The pump was built so that it pumped water right into the platform the pumper were standing, and two dwarves washed themselves of to the cavern lake before I noticed that the entire town I had built underground was flooding.

I had no idea pumps pump water so fast.

Also I built, just to test how bright can microline really be, a trade depot out of microline.

I will NEVER make that mistake again.

Urist McPlayer cancels play Dwarf Fortress, blinded by microline.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: August 04, 2010, 12:37:54 pm »

Just made the MASSIVE mistake of making my mayor the Captain of the Guard.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #2225 on: August 04, 2010, 12:37:56 pm »

Also I built, just to test how bright can microline really be, a trade depot out of microline.

You can change the colors the game uses; I personally crank the brightness of cyan back about four notches; my current game has a microline TD as well, and it looks pretty good, actually.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: August 04, 2010, 12:42:17 pm »

Just made the MASSIVE mistake of making my mayor the Captain of the Guard.

Did he decide all his mandate issuing was a veritable crime and beat himself to death or something?
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: August 04, 2010, 12:45:37 pm »

nope, just years of ignored mandates for items made out of metal.

In a fortress incapable of working metal.

She's already beaten one dwarf nearly to death, the manager got away with only a broken toe though.

I don't think the farmer is going to make it, pancreatic damage, as well as a red lung. she's also permanently lost the ability to stand.

*Mayor facepalms*

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fell Asleep: Abdomen/Thorax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: August 04, 2010, 03:51:19 pm »

nope, just years of ignored mandates for items made out of metal.

In a fortress incapable of working metal.

She's already beaten one dwarf nearly to death, the manager got away with only a broken toe though.

I don't think the farmer is going to make it, pancreatic damage, as well as a red lung. she's also permanently lost the ability to stand.
Ah haha, sucks for that farmer. Lol.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: August 04, 2010, 04:23:07 pm »

o_O surprisingly, the farmer seems to be recovering.

It probably helps that she's "Absolutely inexhaustible, basically unbreakable, Very Strong and Very Rarely Sick"

*Mayor facepalms*

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: August 04, 2010, 05:21:44 pm »

A dwarven fortess without metalsmithing?
Have you gone stark raving mad?

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #2231 on: August 04, 2010, 05:30:44 pm »

You can change the colors the game uses; I personally crank the brightness of cyan back about four notches; my current game has a microline TD as well, and it looks pretty good, actually.

Are you kidding?! I build everything out of microcline!

MICROCLINE, GREATEST OF STONES! AMAZONITE, YEAH! It's blue orthoclase with a slightly different crystalline structure and it's AWESOME!
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: August 04, 2010, 05:40:31 pm »

A dwarven fortess without metalsmithing?
Have you gone stark raving mad?

My most resent fortresses are designed that way. First was embarked into forest, with no axes or picks to see how they went. They are doing fine, except their civ is now dead. GOnna build Dwarven culture from the wood up.

The other was in a terrifying wooded seascape. No axes or picks. Finally stole picks from the first trade caravan ( couldnt trade because my first seven where beaten to death by skeer) 

Two layers of SOIL and SAND down? Aquifer.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: August 04, 2010, 06:39:45 pm »

My mood is failin'. Bone Carver mood. Wants wood logs, body parts, raw green glass & tanned hides. He likes borax, electrum, white jade, the color mint green, battle axes, gauntlets, dogs and wild strawberries. So I slaughter a dog for him, figuring he'll take the bones and the hide. He takes the bones then sits in his workshop. I have raw green glass cut and uncut, 67 other hides of varying types in the trade depot, and plenty of wood.

Except, I don't have wood. I so vehemently refused to believe that I didn't have wood that I didn't check. My biome has tons of trees and I designated a huge pile of them to be cut recently, so it's kinda reasonable to think that.

Damnit.

Edit: Cut some trees, I think he might want shells.

It's winter. Faff.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 06:56:17 pm by Ethereal.Frog »
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: August 04, 2010, 06:55:52 pm »

My Vaultman dying from being shot with wooden bullets...
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 729