Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2112574 times)

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2235 on: August 04, 2010, 06:59:38 pm »

My Vaultman dying from being shot with wooden bullets...

Wait what?

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: August 04, 2010, 07:01:11 pm »

You just made me want to play this mod with one technically not even a sentence.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: August 04, 2010, 07:11:49 pm »

You just made me want to play this mod with one technically not even a sentence.
A mod?
Fallout?

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: August 04, 2010, 07:38:04 pm »

That's the theme my Fort's Going with, sort of a Fallout 3 / Bioshock feel.

I didn't realize my civ was dead, so I started without an anvil to buy more blocks of glass for my glass dome into my mini-rapture.

lo-and-behold, no metalworking.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Bhaalspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: August 04, 2010, 08:15:06 pm »

You know, you don't have to kill them to take their stuff. You can just select all their goods and press the "sieze" button.

I know. my way was far more satisfying...at first.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: August 04, 2010, 08:34:49 pm »

These days I add doors where ever I can and have few "safe places" to run and retreat.

I knew this song before I knew DF.
I just recently lissened in.. and I thought DF imidiatly.
What do you say? Fits nicely doesn't it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffnALnYULbY

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2241 on: August 04, 2010, 09:25:43 pm »

I had, a while ago, decided to wall in a human caravan, in an effort to get their stuff when they died.
Then, the idea hit me...why not collapse the roof on them?

Cave-ins. The most powerful force on the planet.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: August 04, 2010, 11:11:52 pm »

For me, after painstakingly assigning jobs to each dwarf based on their personality, from a pre-drawn up list designed to cover everything, realizing I had 3 miners and 2 picks.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: August 04, 2010, 11:25:29 pm »

...did you not have a blacksmith?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

geodude

• Escaped Lunatic
  • 許せない!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: August 05, 2010, 05:39:56 am »

I had about 4 or 5 dwarves lying in beds after a horrible Forgotten Beast attack.  The the only doctor had a tantrum spiral and murdered 2 or 3 of them.  >:(
Harold Shipdwarf

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2245 on: August 05, 2010, 08:16:07 am »

ALL OF MY HATE

Every single weaponsmith immigrant has now been possessed not two years in to the fort's life!  Three possessions!  Screw it, savescumming this time.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: August 05, 2010, 11:30:47 am »

...did you not have a blacksmith?
I did, but then the aquifer glitched and the cavein just made more aquifer instead of letting me go through. RAGE!
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: August 05, 2010, 11:50:54 am »

Just remembered I had forgotten to turn on autosaving after the game crashed, three or four years since the last save.  >:(

It had just got more interesting too, a legendary human Law-Giver had turned up who was a humanoid tortoise with deadly gas, he'd taken out several goblin ambushes that were attacking the recently arrived human caravan.  He was fairly wounded, so I did the right thing and unleashed my military on him.  They tore him up, but most were sluggish, numb and/or feverish after being subjected to the gas, checked someone in the hospital and the game crashed.  I was hoping I could butcher the law giver for an awesome shell as well. :(

Oh well, hopefully I'll get more useful artifacts than wooden bracelets and rings this time, all made by my child prodigy beardlings. 

Eggsnham

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: August 05, 2010, 12:57:43 pm »

I stocked up on tons of food before embark, figuring that it would buy me some time to get myself established before I had to go and farm.

I hate farming in this game for some reason.

Anyways, so I bought lots of food and booze, having sold my bronze axes (no more defense and no more wood. Not a good idea) and anvil (I didn't know about metalworking at the time) to get it. I also sold some various other seeds and items that I'd viewed as useless at the time.

I also didn't bother giving my dwarfs  any skills save for a single miner/mason and a wood cutter/carpenter (who was half useless).

It actually didn't start off so bad, I dug out my burrow and stockpiles and made makeshift bedrooms so that even if they didn't have beds, they could still sleep somewhere.

Of course, after that I decided to go looking for some stone to mine so I'd have some building materials. I found nothing, even after going about 5+ Z levels down.

After a while we started running low on food and decided to plant some of my plump helmets. I decided to go and try to mine out a medium sized water pocket into a place that I named the "Farming Corridor". I figured that it was big enough to absorb all of the water; I was wrong. So now I have no wood, no stone, a flooded burrow, no beds and limited food and booze supplies.

"C'mon, trade caravans, I need you!" "Wait... Why are we getting immigrants?!"

Now I have more mouths to feed, my dwarfs are running on dwindling food supplies in a half flooded cave and we have no building materials.

Finally, the flood clears up and I'm able to plant some seeds in the mud. "That was easy."

Nope, it wasn't, because then and there for reasons unknown, a couple goblins roam into my fort and attack my unarmed untrained dwarfs. Of the fifteen or so that I had before, my population is now down to ten.

This story ends with a big "Fuck it" and me abandoning my fort.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: August 05, 2010, 01:49:05 pm »

Ouch. Sounds like someone's got a case of the Newbs.

Don't worry dude, It'll clear up in time.

In this situation you would have needed a large, open area for the water to spread over. you could also have activated the Plant Gathering Activity under the farming tab in Labor. this lets you go above ground and gather Plants (it's in the designations menu d -> p), some of which you can eat right away, some of which need to be worked before they're useful. The handy thing about above ground farms is they don't need to be wet.

About the stone: Get some, It's vitally important to get some kind of perimeter defense up quickly. don't find any? DIG DEEPER.

you say you stocked up on food, but what about alcohol? without booze they will work slower and slower until the Tantrum. or die of thirst, of you've got no well.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 02:04:56 pm by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 729