Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2114598 times)

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2265 on: August 07, 2010, 01:55:33 am »

One word: Planepacked
It has 17 images of itself, in addition to the entire history of the world on it.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

Socharis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: August 07, 2010, 03:01:14 am »

Building a 'fast route' and a 'goblin route' to my depot and getting the whole damn thing dug out before realizing that my depot was only 5 squares from the edge of the map.  Doh!

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: August 07, 2010, 04:34:47 am »

One word: Planepacked
It has 17 images of itself, in addition to the entire history of the world on it.
It is the beginning and the end. If only any dwarf gazing upon it would be driven mad, that would complete it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: August 07, 2010, 09:55:16 am »

Actually Planepacked recursed 73 times.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

necrodoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: August 07, 2010, 11:34:19 am »

so i modded in some new materials:

dragonmetal: a super strong red metal, found anywhere but very rare, not very sharp.
pyronite: a white (how to change to yellow?) material with an over average fixed temp, found within natural obsidian. a valuable material,  but dangerous.
crystalium oxide: a white highly unstable material found within opal clusters, can ignite and blow up even from the heat from smelters. very light and sharp.
hydrostone: a blue material found in gabbo. when smelted, produces freezium.
freezium: a valuable cyan material. due to his low fixed temp, it is VERY useful preventing fires and magma accidents.

i had a successful fort running on the 5th year, and i finally found natural obsidian, along with some pyronite. to prevent fiery accidents, i give them freezium helmets. while the miners are hauling the pyronite, i had a small magma leak and the grass outside catched on fire. i quickly order my dwarfs to haul freezium outside to cool down the fire. the miners were still hauling pyronite, but now though the crystalium oxide stock pile (freezium stock pile was near the crystallium pile, and i forgot to lock the door again *facepalm*) and then one IDIOT miner decides to cancel his job to get drinks RIGHT ontop of the crystalium pile, causing it to explode 10 seconds later before anyone reacted, killing 2 miners, causing one of the hauled pyronite to land ontop of the foodstock pile, causing the booze to explode and the rest to catch on fire,  sending burning stuff into the old section of the fortress which most of it was wood, heat causes a nearby magma safe floodgate to melt, magma comes down and flows over the dragonmetal stockpile (i planned to make armor outa that, omfg) right into the fuel stockpile, causing it to ignite, causing a nearby artifact to burn, causing the artifact owner to tantarum (who is also my military commander  ::)) killing some dwarfs and starting a tantarum spiral with killed the fortress. the worst thing is, that i could prevent ALL of this if i remembered to forbid the freezium in the crystalium oxide pile.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: August 07, 2010, 11:38:31 am »

That is so awesome, I dont know what to say.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: August 07, 2010, 11:43:02 am »

Ah Dwarf Fortress modding.  Nothing says great success and utter death and destruction at the same time, quite like 'k'ing over a tile and seeing "Boiling Explodium".
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TheFish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheFish Plays
« Reply #2272 on: August 07, 2010, 03:05:29 pm »

first post and first real face palm moment, still pretty mild by the standards of this thread.

my longest running fort (only 3 years) was going great until i decided to carve out a moat around my fortifications.... straight through the middle of my fort on the next level down... unfortunately i failed to notice my mistake until i had diverted the nearby river. oops.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: August 07, 2010, 03:34:11 pm »

first post and first real face palm moment, still pretty mild by the standards of this thread.

my longest running fort (only 3 years) was going great until i decided to carve out a moat around my fortifications.... straight through the middle of my fort on the next level down... unfortunately i failed to notice my mistake until i had diverted the nearby river. oops.
I think everyone makes that mistake once.  :D

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: August 07, 2010, 03:47:02 pm »

It is one of the many rites of passage to a DF player.  Teaches you to double check your designations (including the adjacent z-levels).  Teaches you what does (and does not) work for quick emergency constructions, and teaches you how to keep a fortress functioning after a catastrophic disaster.

Welcome to the forums.  May you have much Fun.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: August 07, 2010, 03:49:43 pm »

When I mine I often use ramps to mine out two levels at once. Sometimes, I accidentally breach the wall to the outside. If I don't notice it in time and fill it with constructions, then suddenly the game zooms into the middle of my fortress with the message: An ambush! Curse them!  :-[

Even worse if I breach my own magma channel using this method. I lost several miners to such incidents in one fortress.

weird beard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: August 07, 2010, 06:34:24 pm »

I think everyone makes that mistake once.  :D

I'm pretty sure I've done that two or three times.

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: August 07, 2010, 06:58:27 pm »

I've done it. Redirect the water into the mines while you get magma redirected to the source, then atom smash the water in the mines or drain into edge fortifications.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: August 07, 2010, 07:57:28 pm »

Modded "Black Wolfram" into my game as a new type of metal for my dorfs to make (just like making steel, but with no flux.)

First, I forgot to add the [PERMITTED_REACTION:BLACK_WOLFRAM_MAKING] to the entity, so they couldn't make it.
Second, I forgot to change "wolfram" to "black wolfram", so I had two entries for "Wolfram <item>" for everything metal, and couldn't easily tell them apart (aside from points value).
Third, I tried to run a current save with updated RAWs.

*facepalm*

I finally got it all running, though. Gonna add more metals soon. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: August 07, 2010, 10:42:30 pm »

crystalium oxide: a white highly unstable material found within opal clusters, can ignite and blow up even from the heat from smelters. very light and sharp.

Great story--sounds like a Fun mod! :D I'm a little confused though. If it blows up when heated, how can it be forged into weapons?

(Trying to figure how to make the chemistry work in the spoiler:)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm. Trying to make the chemistry of a Rule of Cool mod follow Real Life rules probably counts as a face palm-worthy moment.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 729