Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095533 times)

necrodoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2280 on: August 07, 2010, 10:52:14 pm »

crystalium oxide: a white highly unstable material found within opal clusters, can ignite and blow up even from the heat from smelters. very light and sharp.

Great story--sounds like a Fun mod! :D I'm a little confused though. If it blows up when heated, how can it be forged into weapons?

(Trying to figure how to make the chemistry work in the spoiler:)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm. Trying to make the chemistry of a Rule of Cool mod follow Real Life rules probably counts as a face palm-worthy moment.

it isnt supposted to be based of real life crystalium, infact i didnt even knew that there is such thing.
also im trying to mod crystalium to explode into shards instead, and i think it could be smelted if i would add freezium into the recipe.

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: August 08, 2010, 12:03:53 am »

freezium: a valuable cyan material. due to his low fixed temp, it is VERY useful preventing fires and magma accidents.
Nether-caps, found in the bottom cavern layer, produce wood that is always 0ºC
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: August 08, 2010, 12:11:38 am »

Well.  This thread seems to have averted a facepalm moment then.  Play my custom race in which some castes have a very low cold tolerance (0 degrees is fatal).  It would have been a terrible thing to place a number of beds made of that wood in the dorms...

The funny part would be how long it would take me to figure out why seemingly random members of the fortress suddenly keep dropping dead in the dorms.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:13:30 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: August 08, 2010, 12:12:59 am »

freezium: a valuable cyan material. due to his low fixed temp, it is VERY useful preventing fires and magma accidents.
I did not know that!
wow.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: August 08, 2010, 01:25:48 am »

Reduction of oxides rarely occurs without a strong reducing agent ie not often in nature. Oxygen (which is a good oxidising agent, funnily enough) is too abundant for that.
Trained a really boss military of macedwarves. Squad of crossbowgoblins turned up. 100% casualties for the home team! wooo! *facedesk*

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: August 08, 2010, 02:55:28 am »

it isnt supposted to be based of real life crystalium, infact i didnt even knew that there is such thing.
also im trying to mod crystalium to explode into shards instead, and i think it could be smelted if i would add freezium into the recipe.

No no, it doesn't actually exist. I was just trying to figure out how it would work if it was real. Which was pretty futile in the end. Hence the "this probably counts as a face-palm moment" remark at the end of the post. ::)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: August 08, 2010, 12:12:14 pm »

there is a megabeast in my local cave and i lost 5 of my 7 starting dwarfs to it

its ok now i locked it up and i am sending in useless migrants for him to snack on
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: August 08, 2010, 01:00:01 pm »

I did not know that!
wow.
I actually equip arena mode creatures in it. It allows me to survive a magma swim for about twice as long.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: August 08, 2010, 01:12:17 pm »

crystalium oxide: a white highly unstable material found within opal clusters, can ignite and blow up even from the heat from smelters. very light and sharp.

Great story--sounds like a Fun mod! :D I'm a little confused though. If it blows up when heated, how can it be forged into weapons?

(Trying to figure how to make the chemistry work in the spoiler:)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm. Trying to make the chemistry of a Rule of Cool mod follow Real Life rules probably counts as a face palm-worthy moment.
No because an oxide isn't the product of combustion, it's the product of oxidization.  Iron Oxide (rust) happens because the metal is exposed to air.  Presumably the pure Crystalium (yeah I know it isn't real) would end up having a thin coat of oxide to protect it from further corrosion as it'd be a reactive metal, but it'd presumably be only chemically, and not physically, reactive in its pure state.  Reactive metals form bonds more easily (and most often with oxygen) to maintain stability.  The oxygen that bonds to it would make it more volatile, as oxygen is a key part of combustion, as can be see with the awesome reaction of Fe2O3+Al+Heat=More Heat+Fe, more commonly referred to as Thermite.

Yes I know, every time you inject science into a fantasy discussion God kills a catgirl, but it just bugged me.  And actually I'm a Biologist so :P
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:18:12 pm by Urist McTaverish »
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: August 08, 2010, 02:42:21 pm »

No because an oxide isn't the product of combustion, it's the product of oxidization.  Iron Oxide (rust) happens because the metal is exposed to air.  Presumably the pure Crystalium (yeah I know it isn't real) would end up having a thin coat of oxide to protect it from further corrosion as it'd be a reactive metal, but it'd presumably be only chemically, and not physically, reactive in its pure state.  Reactive metals form bonds more easily (and most often with oxygen) to maintain stability.  The oxygen that bonds to it would make it more volatile, as oxygen is a key part of combustion, as can be see with the awesome reaction of Fe2O3+Al+Heat=More Heat+Fe, more commonly referred to as Thermite.

Yes I know, every time you inject science into a fantasy discussion God kills a catgirl, but it just bugged me.  And actually I'm a Biologist so :P

And you were doing so well, too...

("Volatile" in chemical terms is "easy to evaporate". This happens to contribute to the explosion risk of flammables, as flammable volatiles like gasoline can pre-mix with air, but "volatile" does not mean "combustible". It refers to the ease of changing state, and that has led to the more general usage of a situation that is prone to rapidly changing - and unfortunately, is often associated with blowing up. This connotation is creeping back into use in a chemical context, erroneously.)
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: August 08, 2010, 03:05:52 pm »

And you were doing so well, too...

("Volatile" in chemical terms is "easy to evaporate". This happens to contribute to the explosion risk of flammables, as flammable volatiles like gasoline can pre-mix with air, but "volatile" does not mean "combustible". It refers to the ease of changing state, and that has led to the more general usage of a situation that is prone to rapidly changing - and unfortunately, is often associated with blowing up. This connotation is creeping back into use in a chemical context, erroneously.)

I do apologize, sometimes the layman in me gets the better of me.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: August 08, 2010, 09:58:18 pm »

The oxygen that bonds to it would make it more volatile, as oxygen is a key part of combustion, as can be see with the awesome reaction of Fe2O3+Al+Heat=More Heat+Fe, more commonly referred to as Thermite.

You missed some of the Products and didn't balance the equation. 3 FeO2 + 2 Al + Heat = 3 Fe + 2 Al2O3 + Way more Heat
Chem 20 FTW! :P  Sorry 'bout that but my Chem teacher drilled this into my head and chemical equations have to look like this.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: August 08, 2010, 10:06:40 pm »

If we're going to be technical, I don't think the energy involved - especially not the activation energy - is normally listed in a chemical reaction on either the reagents OR the products side. ;)
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: August 08, 2010, 11:36:31 pm »

Yeah and it's expressed as an enthalpy change and then-
Oh wait we're careening off topic and the technicalities behind writing an equation rarely actually matter when you're using it for explanation's sake.

3 babies just drowned in my pumping system due to neglectful mothers :/

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: August 09, 2010, 02:04:59 am »

3 babies just drowned in my pumping system due to neglectful mothers :/

Heh, I always get "Urist McWrestler cancels spar: seeking infant".  I can just imagine dwarven babies flying through the air after a particularly rough takedown....
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 729