Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2111265 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2325 on: August 12, 2010, 04:56:53 pm »

Oh dear.

Guess who just smoothed the floors under his farm plots...
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: August 12, 2010, 05:17:23 pm »

NEW FARMS FOR YOU!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

hailthefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: August 12, 2010, 09:33:16 pm »

I always build reusable irrigation systems for exactly that reason. Never know what might happen.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: August 12, 2010, 09:37:54 pm »

Except IIRC dwarves will actually make an attempt to keepsmoothed stone clean (of, say, mud).

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: August 12, 2010, 09:40:28 pm »

I flooded my hospital, twice. It was a problem with me forgetting how water worked and channeling into a brook for a well source, flood two was left longer so it filled up more, and thus was harder to empty.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: August 12, 2010, 09:44:29 pm »

I flooded my hospital, twice. It was a problem with me forgetting how water worked and channeling into a brook for a well source, flood two was left longer so it filled up more, and thus was harder to empty.

Open the door and pray?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: August 12, 2010, 09:45:41 pm »

Open the door and pray?
Actually, I broke down the double doors to the hospital both times. It moved 10 tiles then went down two stairwells to my workshop room where it puddled a little then evaporated.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: August 12, 2010, 10:41:53 pm »

I've never seen them clean up mud.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

jerobe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: August 12, 2010, 11:04:47 pm »

Realising after more than 2 years of playing this game that you can hotkey locations. Armok bugger me.

What, no way?? Oh my Armok.

I've been playing actively during the last two weeks on a now 14 year fortress. The time I've spent jumping and scrolling between ground-level and 133 z-levels down where I recently (as in 4 years game time ago) decided to move all facilities is just so... I had even chained rare animals like giant cheetahs at different z-levels to use as reference for fast scrolling.

Well okay that's one more facepalm for your enjoyment.

The thing I wanted to write about though is a phenomenon I didn't know existed, curse you all for not telling me! I have always been very careful to monitor every cat that enters my fortress. The cat society in my fortress is a patriarchy that knows of no mercy for females. Now, I had also limited my fortress to 105 dwarves. Everything to spare the FPS. It was all fine when the limit was reached a few years into the game.

However a phenomenon I recently detected exempt of this limit is the dwarfsplosion. Yes, they will burst your limits and 14 years in to the game they're everywhere. I'm now at 170 dwarves. Suddenly the children waterfall idea doesn't sound so bad after all, does it? (not that it ever did to be honest) Even cats would be better than this, at least they fill a function, these things don't. They aren't even useful as makeshift slaves since they generally refuse to gather crops (standing orders checked). Of interesting note is that certain females seem to be more fertile than others. Even though I have like 70 children they all belong to a few families. One of my legendary siege operators has an entire ant trail following her, effectively bottle-necking everything in it's path. It will certainly be interesting when she has to fire a ballista and they're all standing in the way. I finally got my head out of my ass and blocked fertility entirely but the damage is done and I'm down to 35 FPS which might seem good to some but my aim was to keep it much higher.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: August 12, 2010, 11:25:24 pm »

Dude. At 7 dorfs on a 3x3 map, I top out at 35.

...dude...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: August 13, 2010, 12:13:00 am »

Dude. At 7 dorfs on a 3x3 map, I top out at 35.

...dude...

Drop it to 2x2 and you'll hit 50 FPS. At least I do. :)
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: August 13, 2010, 01:29:29 am »

I suppose, but I already find the 3x3...confining. Also, I did some monkeying around with the d_init file and got a little bit more respectable speed on my 3x3.

Also, my rig is a 6 year old single core. That doesn't help matters. Still runs decently, but I'd prefer a little more performance.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: August 13, 2010, 03:02:29 am »

I suppose, but I already find the 3x3...confining. Also, I did some monkeying around with the d_init file and got a little bit more respectable speed on my 3x3.

Also, my rig is a 6 year old single core. That doesn't help matters. Still runs decently, but I'd prefer a little more performance.

900 Megahertz Single core with 256 MB of RAM.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

hailthefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: August 13, 2010, 03:14:19 am »

The thing I wanted to write about though is a phenomenon I didn't know existed, curse you all for not telling me! I have always been very careful to monitor every cat that enters my fortress. The cat society in my fortress is a patriarchy that knows of no mercy for females. Now, I had also limited my fortress to 105 dwarves. Everything to spare the FPS. It was all fine when the limit was reached a few years into the game.

However a phenomenon I recently detected exempt of this limit is the dwarfsplosion. Yes, they will burst your limits and 14 years in to the game they're everywhere. I'm now at 170 dwarves. Suddenly the children waterfall idea doesn't sound so bad after all, does it? (not that it ever did to be honest) Even cats would be better than this, at least they fill a function, these things don't. They aren't even useful as makeshift slaves since they generally refuse to gather crops (standing orders checked). Of interesting note is that certain females seem to be more fertile than others. Even though I have like 70 children they all belong to a few families. One of my legendary siege operators has an entire ant trail following her, effectively bottle-necking everything in it's path. It will certainly be interesting when she has to fire a ballista and they're all standing in the way. I finally got my head out of my ass and blocked fertility entirely but the damage is done and I'm down to 35 FPS which might seem good to some but my aim was to keep it much higher.

There's an option in d_init to restrict the max number of children. I think it's also flexible, but should prevent massive dwarfsplosions.

Also, the dwarves with the tons of kids tend to be the dwarves that spend the most time hanging around with other dwarves, in my experience. Siege operator sounds like it fits this pattern. The busier your dwarves, the less socializing happens, thus less marriages, thus less kids. The problem is that once a dwarf is married, they have kids by quantum pollination, the same way animals breed. So the good news is that you can prevent the problem somewhat. The bad news is, you can't resolve it once it happens without slaughtering some dwarves.

Also.. I get about 100 FPS until I get around 50 dwarves. It slows to something comfortable, and doesn't start get unbearably slow until around 150 dwarves, when it gets to about 20 FPS.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: August 13, 2010, 07:03:09 am »

900 Megahertz Single core with 256 MB of RAM.

you really like to flaunt that, huh?

Ah well. My old laptop was of comparable spec. Although I never did run Dorf Fort on it.
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 729