Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095570 times)

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2340 on: August 13, 2010, 02:44:59 pm »

900 Megahertz Single core with 256 MB of RAM.

you really like to flaunt that, huh?

Ah well. My old laptop was of comparable spec. Although I never did run Dorf Fort on it.

It makes some people feel better about their own POS. There's not much lower you can go unless your computer is as old as I am.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: August 13, 2010, 04:25:46 pm »

So, I started playing the new version (haven't played since 40d) and I'm a tad rusty.  things are going well and I'm in a place that's frozen over with a river running through the middle and a stream intersecting(both frozen) a few Zs up it right next to where my dwarves started.  I'm thinking, "lovely, I can place my entrance on the surface of the river underneath the stream.  My caravans can enter via either end of the river and the frozen stream above will look cool."  well, all is going fine and I just got my autosave for summer's start, and then, I see the snow covering everywhere is meltifying itself.  I've built a small hill inside my fort beyond where the stream falls so, hopefully, it will just runoff into the river or not actually melt at all.  perhaps later on I shall make my entrance run right through this not so forever frozen waterfall.  yes, an entrance made of pure glass, but clear glass, no crystal, with gem windows of clear diamonds, and a magma pillar running through the middle, and elf corpses bleeding slowly upstream so it is forever red with blood, and I'll mod fire imps to war imps and have them guard... oh armok, I've missed dwarf fortress :)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: August 13, 2010, 09:35:09 pm »

@FuzzyDoom

My computer isn't quite as slow as yours (I think it's a bit under 1.4 GHz, with maybe 512 MB of RAM?), but it's a laptop.

It all but exploded when I tried to gen a Large world.

In other news, downloading Ironhand's 0.47, playing it, then having 0.48 come out the next morning. >_>
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: August 14, 2010, 09:04:11 am »

I suppose, but I already find the 3x3...confining. Also, I did some monkeying around with the d_init file and got a little bit more respectable speed on my 3x3.

Also, my rig is a 6 year old single core. That doesn't help matters. Still runs decently, but I'd prefer a little more performance.

900 Megahertz Single core with 256 MB of RAM.

2.97Ghz single core Celron D with 1.5GB of ram. Mine should really be running faster. WTF, computer!?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: August 14, 2010, 10:29:20 am »

1.4Ghz single core CPU with 256 ram and 32mb graphic card + 6gb harddrive, go beat that.

But, if I keep the embark small, and fiddle with settings a bit, I can get steady 40-50FPS, which is more than playable for me :)

Meh, enough of OT.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

hailthefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: August 14, 2010, 01:19:54 pm »

I should try to run DF on my Grandma's computer. Dunno the processor, but it's got Windows XP and 8 MB of RAM. Yes. 8 MB.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: August 14, 2010, 01:56:49 pm »

I should try to run DF on my Grandma's computer. Dunno the processor, but it's got Windows XP and 8 MB of RAM. Yes. 8 MB.

That wouldn't be Windows XP. And do it...FOR SCIENCE!
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.

hailthefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: August 14, 2010, 02:39:00 pm »

Yes. Yes it is XP.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: August 14, 2010, 08:33:31 pm »

Yes. Yes it is XP.

Whoever put XP on a computer with 8 MB of RAM needs to facepalm.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: August 14, 2010, 09:10:45 pm »

Yes. Yes it is XP.

Whoever put XP on a computer with 8 MB of RAM needs to facepalm.
I don't think that would even turn on........
Nom nom nom

hailthefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: August 15, 2010, 12:22:58 am »

It did. It just ran like shit. I think the RAM chip got corrupted at some point or something, because I doubt it was BUILT with only 8 MB in it.

Anyhow, back on topic, why do my worlds always have so damn few underground Z-levels. I've been trying to plan a fort around a large underground vertical complex, and only have like 30 z-layers between the surface and the magma sea, and about a third of them are 90% cavern.

graniteadam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: August 15, 2010, 01:23:55 am »

Ok here's my first facepalm moment:

A little hard to see, but basically all my bridges and stone traps are set up to keep those ambushes out. But oh yeah, when the bridge is up, there's this little crack on the lower left that goblins just come right through. Fun

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: August 15, 2010, 05:07:55 am »

A minor but recent facepalm: As I'm moving from my temporary out-of-the-wagon stockpiles to more permanent excavations, I notice that the dwarves are still going up near the wagon to drink. Not a single barrel of booze has been moved downstairs, even though the original stockpile no longer even exists. I first look at the stockpile with a barrel in it - that's my prepared food stockpile, the one nearer the dining room; the OTHER one is the booze.

Except that therein lay the problem. I'd initially conceived of them the other way around, and turned barrels in the prepared-food pile to zero because they're normally unhelpful there(since prepared food is often made in stacks vastly too big for a barrel, and rarely in stacks small enough to fit more than one to a barrel).

But when I assigned the actual stockpile permissions, I'd left it backwards. So the prepared food was permitting barrels(so far only had the empty barrel), while the booze stockpile was not.

Kind of hard to store booze without storing the barrels it's in. *facepalm*
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Zyrjello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: August 15, 2010, 09:44:55 pm »

I just completed my pump stack that would fuel a reservoir, a well, and a waterfall that cleans up my entrance and trade depot. Everything was set to go, and I installed that last horizontal axle to make the whole thing run.

I waited expectantly at the top layer, hoping to see water gushing out at any moment.

And I kept waiting. Nothing happened.

I started scanning the layers of the stack, and I quickly found the problem: I had installed one of the pumps backward. *facepalm*

minozake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: August 15, 2010, 10:53:34 pm »

My dwarf bled out after a goblin siege because nobody wanted to collect him.  Also, anything to do with a claimed body, miasma, and unfilled refuse and graveyard.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 729