Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2116713 times)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2355 on: August 16, 2010, 01:37:12 am »

After embarking and digging a fair distance into the mountain side, I notice that there is a lake on top of the mountain I'm digging into, such that it would be quite easy for me to dig my way in there, let the water empty out, and build a farm in all that mud. So I dig a tunnel which ends up cutting into the side of the lake... and begins about 2 feet from my fortress entrance. Yeah, that wasn't very wise. Funny, though.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: August 16, 2010, 04:19:42 am »

Was too busy reading this thread and dug beneath an aquifer.  Almost flooded the whole place.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: August 16, 2010, 01:28:55 pm »

Was too busy reading this thread and dug beneath an aquifer.  Almost flooded the whole place.

Self-referential irony?
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: August 16, 2010, 02:28:24 pm »

Drowning Welcoming chamber 101: double check that the door into your brand new drowning welcoming chamber is actually locked before drowning greeting the humans.

Welcoming chamber 102: If not following 101, make sure the a set of controll levers are not just outside the door.

I have a feeling this is something most df players go through. Also got Urist McMoody died of thirst while most of the fortress was flooding :)
turns out it was the 6th moody dwarf claiming a workshop in a row and therefor got a small room all for himself, though someone forgot the door.

Edit: somehow none of my dwarfs, except the moody one, got killed \o/.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 02:30:56 pm by bremarv »
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Vulcanius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: August 16, 2010, 02:47:54 pm »

Today I accidentally atom-smashed my greatest legendary hammerlord Tulon Tulondeleth. I buried an empty sarcophagus in his honor.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: August 16, 2010, 03:49:15 pm »

Yes. Yes it is XP.

Whoever put XP on a computer with 8 MB of RAM needs to facepalm.

Back in '02, a guy I knew was obsessed with xp, to the point of forcing it into any computer that could possibly hold it. Somehow, he managed to get it to install to a late Pentium I (the dektop ran at about 3 frames per minute). Some people are strange.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hailthefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: August 16, 2010, 05:02:38 pm »

I'm going to go look at it on friday and I'll see what the deal is with the RAM.

As far as facepalms in DF, I punched my main stairwell into the middle of a colony of antmen. With no military, or wardogs, or DOORS.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: August 16, 2010, 05:50:30 pm »

Self-referential irony?

No, just garden variety dumb.  u_u

OT platform-wise:  I hate to admit it, but...  I have a *massive* thing for XP Pro.  After Dos/3.11/95/98...  it was actually stable.  Right now I'm clinging drowning-rat-style to my antique pc...  Gonna have to upgrade eventually, but the Windows 7 commercials make me want to kill things and I might not be smart enough for Linux.   :[
7+7

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: August 16, 2010, 06:45:33 pm »

Don't worry. The comercials are a lot worse then the OS. After some time to get used to it I now don't want to ever go back to XP. If only all those classic games would run on 7. Oh well, at least I got MoO2 running in DosBox.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: August 16, 2010, 07:45:21 pm »

Wondering why, when I've made kit for ten dwarves in full steel and set up the schedule accordingly, only one of them shows up to train, none of the others even stirring themselves to get gear.

Then realising that although I had set their custom professions in DwarfTherapist, I had neglected to actually induct the other trainees into the squad.

*FACEPALM*
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: August 16, 2010, 08:36:19 pm »

[...] If only all those classic games would run on 7. Oh well, at least I got MoO2 running in DosBox.

D:  What's the use of a PC if it doesn't play classic games?!

*is having enough trouble getting Thief 2 to run on THIS pc*

ETA:  Oh, and  on-topic:  something I am doing makes the game die.  Had to reboot a couple times and have numerous crashes.  Getting unplayable.  Think it might be multiple traps/constructions designated for building under a muddy pool.  Or the crazy moody gem setter.  Either way, whatever I did, it's getting unplayable and the fort is still young enough to abandon heartlessly.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 08:38:20 pm by melomel »
7+7

mrbigmuscles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: August 16, 2010, 09:26:24 pm »

I guess this isn't really my fault, but.. today I started a new world, put together an embark team carefully, and struck the earth.  However, something was happening about 40-50 zlevels down which caused large cavern collapses and corresponding drops in frame rate (i.e. to 0-2 FPS) and the game was unplayable.  A new kind of Fun?

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: August 17, 2010, 05:45:18 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:17:37 pm by Bronimin »

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2368 on: August 17, 2010, 11:56:08 am »

[...] If only all those classic games would run on 7. Oh well, at least I got MoO2 running in DosBox.

D:  What's the use of a PC if it doesn't play classic games?!

*is having enough trouble getting Thief 2 to run on THIS pc*

Huh? Thief 2 is a relatively easy game to get to run under modern OSes, as long as you do the processor affinity fix (it doesn't like dual-cores at all).  I've got it running under both Vista and 7.

Huh...  7 = &?   :o

/offtopic

Anyways, my worst facepalm was in old 40d, shortly after I found magma.  I made an obsidian mining chamber that broke the surface near the stream for convenience, but failed to realize the effect on my defenses...cue next goblin ambush merrily walking in my back door.

KG

randompeep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: August 17, 2010, 03:22:13 pm »

Well in dining room + water pressure = Fun. Yeah. Thank Armok my main staircase led directly to the first cave. Infinite flooding space go!

Edit: On the plus side, I now have a waterfall. On my former main staircase!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 03:59:43 pm by randompeep »
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 729