Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2116984 times)

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2370 on: August 17, 2010, 04:32:29 pm »

I am building my fort's second waterfall (first is in the entrance, this one is in my central rampway)  I always built floodgates attatched to levers for any water control system just in case I doo something stupid.  well, I did something stupid, I started the waterfall without finishing it to the drainage cavern [facepalm:1].  OK, that's foolish of me but I'll just flip the lever and everything will be fine (flip), head over to floodgate and what do I see, a rock where my floodgate used to be [facealm:2].  fine, it still hasn't been too long, let's see if I can't finish this fall while it's running for a bit of FUN.  In pause and pressing . repeatedly until I'm out of this mess and I end up with 2 wounded and 1 dead of my starting 7.  well, that was fun :)

Edit: just realized I have autosave turned on and savescumbed back to the season change only to find that this exact point was right AFTER I had pulled the lever and the rock had moved into place.  then I used the tiny bit of extra time it had taken me to facepalm previously to get a headstart on drilling the waterfall.  now the whole thing is done with no dwarves harmed and, more importantly, 0 structural damage.  I feel like this should be an achievement.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:02:51 pm by Dendou »

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: August 17, 2010, 05:24:38 pm »

Downloaded 31_12, decided I would leave the FPS uncapped (I normally cap it at 100).

Embark on a 4X4 area. Paused, my FPS steadily climbs. The highest I've let it go so far is 40,000. It takes 10 seconds to fall back down to 280 (6 dwarves-don't ask) after unpausing.

When I hit 150 dwarves, 70 FPS is going to feel like hell.

This was a cheap computer too.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: August 17, 2010, 05:39:56 pm »

Downloaded 31_12, decided I would leave the FPS uncapped (I normally cap it at 100).

Embark on a 4X4 area. Paused, my FPS steadily climbs. The highest I've let it go so far is 40,000. It takes 10 seconds to fall back down to 280 (6 dwarves-don't ask) after unpausing.

When I hit 150 dwarves, 70 FPS is going to feel like hell.

This was a cheap computer too.

Wait, what?
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: August 17, 2010, 05:41:48 pm »

Compared to 40000? Yes.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: August 17, 2010, 05:53:29 pm »

150 Dwarves at 70FPS is *Heaven*.

Quit your whining.
Can't get enough Bolo.

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: August 17, 2010, 07:28:19 pm »

Compared to 40000? Yes.

The game ticks constantly but does effectively nothing when paused. This means the FPS counter shoots waaay up. Mine goes to about that, unpause and play for awhile and it's about 400FPS with 7 dwarves uncapped =P

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: August 17, 2010, 07:51:15 pm »

150 Dwarves at 70FPS is *Heaven*.

Quit your whining.
No, I mean compared to almost 300 I have right now, it's going to feel sloooow, even though its very close to what I normally cap the FPS at (100). I can dig out a 10*10 room in seconds (well, until all but one miner died-but that's a different story all together-damn cave crocodiles).
What weird is that 40d was slower for me- I got 20 FPS with 80 dwarves, where you woudl think that the caverns would slow things down massively. \(o_o)/
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: August 18, 2010, 03:10:42 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:21:02 pm by Bronimin »

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: August 19, 2010, 01:50:02 pm »

In an effort to try to get my dwarfs to clean up the fort and put away all their scattered clothing, I put a couple of cabinets in the fort's shared bedroom (each dwarf has their own bed, but they all overlap).  At first it looks like its working, the unit list starts filling with "store owned item" jobs.  After a while, I check back, and there's still stuff scattered about the fort.  Thinking I didn't have enough cabinets, I built some more.  So I wait a while, then check again.  There's still stuff all over my fort.  I then fill up the bedroom, any tile that doesn't have a bed has a cabinet.  Still doesn't work.  So I check the unit list, and to my surprise, the dwarfs are trying to store owned item.  So I watched one of them, and it turns out they were taking items out of one cabinet and putting in a different one.  Had to forbid everything before they'd go get new ones. 

Durins Bane

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves dug too deep...not big surprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: August 19, 2010, 01:50:44 pm »

Once had a large population of elephants outside my fortress. Set up some cage traps, caught around 8 in total. 6 were made into war elephants. Little did I know that in the last two there was the spawn of satan.

Had a bunch kept near the trade depot, still in cages being lugged from the outside. I built the cages and released them. Suddenly:

"URIST MCMINER CANCELS EAT: INTERRUPTED BY ELEPHANT".

Apparently two elephants weren't tame. Oh fuck. Since I liked my elephant armada, I thought I'd rather catch them again and tame them. Apparently the dumbest of the two tried to kick a miner, who proceeded to beat it to an inch of its life. It had easily 10+ broken bones and was laying in a pool of blood and vomit. I thought since the one was already pretty much dead, the other should die too.

Big mistake.

It was currently inside my workshop space (Which was in a cavern surrounded by an underground lake). My only form of an army, my militia commander and his war elephant, chased after it. Militia commander hacked it a few times as it ran, but only chipping bone and bruising fat. It ran, bleeding, around the fortress like crazy, then returned to the workshop level, where the hospital was. It ran into the narrow hospital corridor, and I knew it was over. No place to run. It then proceeded to beat the everloving shit out've the militia commander, before his elephant could arrive to help. In one last defiant act, he cut off the elephant's left ear. The elephant retreated back into the hospital and beat the expedition leader, who was just passing through, to an inch of her life, leaving them both with a broken leg and arm each, as well as lots of bruising. Beaten but alive.

The elephant was now hanging out in a tiny part of the cavern that was on a lower level, near the lake. Its presence meant that the injured could not rest. Remembering what the miner did to the other one, I quickly drafted one and sent him after it. He chased it back into the hospital...where it proceeded to, in one move, dislocate his spine with a kick, and leave him slumped against the hospital wall, crippled. Next plan of attack, naturally, was to recruit the OTHER miner. He chased the elephant toward the carpenter's shop, cornering it. Only striking it a few times in the leg and the chest, the miner was quickly beat to death, his skull caved in. This is when the demonic elephant gained a name: Lovelycircles. As a last ditched effort to bring her down, I recruited the woodworker, armed with a copper axe, and assigned two war elephants to him.

They chased her back into the hospital (WHY OF ALL PLACES?!), with the woodworker entering the main part and the elephants lagging behind in the hallway. This was her attempt at an old trick, to go around her attacker while they were inside the hospital. It had worked on the militia commander, but not the woodworker. She ran directly into the waiting elephants, while the woodworker attacked from behind. Lovelycircles, already weak from old injuries, tried to attack the woodworker, who dodged, and the three proceeded to beat her to death. She died in the hallway of the hospital, surrounded by three victims she crippled for life. The miner would make a full recovery, while the militia commander was crippled until the end. The expedition leader died, sadly, to infection shortly after the death of Lovelycircles.

It was this elephant that brought about the fort's destruction. And I had thought they were not capable of Boatmurdered-grade destruction in DF2010. Boy did I learn the hard way.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: August 19, 2010, 04:20:59 pm »

Well if you wanna get really technical the elephants of Boatmurdered were bested by the simple, humble, monarch butterfly.

But yea, piss an elephant off and they are still capable of massive feats of devastation.  I mean hell, I wouldn't even wanna try to stop a baby elephant with nothing but a shortsword.  Let alone a full grown adult in confined spaces panicked out of it's mind.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: August 19, 2010, 04:29:26 pm »

You have piqued my interest with your mentions of butterfly devastation. I would like to know more.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: August 19, 2010, 04:31:38 pm »

You have piqued my interest with your mentions of butterfly devastation. I would like to know more.

Here's Boatmurdered in all it's Elephant/Magma horror:

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: August 19, 2010, 04:33:29 pm »

Haven't you read Boatmurdered?
Spoiler: Butterfly Devastation (click to show/hide)
Can't get enough Bolo.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: August 19, 2010, 04:40:37 pm »

Actually, (I'm not going to bother spoilering it) it was the monarch butterfly's remains that were wedging the door open, preventing StarkRavingMad Bremen from locking the dwarves in. Because of the open door, the idiot dwarves continued to run out to the elephant/cage trap corridor to stockpile the dead dwarves' clothes and get slaughtered.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:42:18 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 729