Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2135950 times)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #240 on: June 07, 2009, 10:17:27 am »

Woah, 2 anvils?  You're dwarves skills can't have been great...

7 5  4  basic peasants, low resource challenge.and both anvils stay, or the fort stops being Nobzitar.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 07, 2009, 10:26:04 am »

Yeah, if you really suck at making anvils, I guess.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

boonshanka

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Cats, Mmmm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 20, 2009, 12:22:19 pm »

Early on in the game I feel like I have fancy plumber shoes and I want to try them out.  I build a nice well a couple z-levels down with the water source, a couple z-l evels up ;p This is when I discover that the water not only fills my wells, but my fort too! Damn you water pressure.  On a happier note, I discovered that diagonal plumbing resets water pressure (from the wiki). That made my day.

Too see diagonal plumbing ;p Click Here!
(proudly sponsored by FacePalm Cheese Cola tm)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aaah and digging a huge pit using nothing but mass dig and channels... and then discovering the The Dwarf Support Mechanism Demolition Technique.

Awesome thread by the way :D If only I discovered it when I first started playing! haha
Yes, your Highness, just pull that lever!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 20, 2009, 12:25:47 pm »

I always build my wells on top of rivers and wall off a small area around them.  I blame laziness.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 20, 2009, 04:11:37 pm »

discovering the d->b menu.

oh god, the finger-destroying ages spent with the k tool manually dumping individual stones

*facepalm* you have got to be kidding me... its that easy?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 20, 2009, 06:12:56 pm »

discovering the d->b menu.

oh god, the finger-destroying ages spent with the k tool manually dumping individual stones

*facepalm* you have got to be kidding me... its that easy?

*pats on shoulder* I was like you once... Yes, it is that easy.
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 20, 2009, 06:21:29 pm »

(recent)

I had been anxiously waiting for a moment to lower my bridge in a very high traffic area.

FINALLY there was a break in dwarf flow and I pulled the lever

After a large series of announcements I realized that lever was connected to TWO bridges.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Chicostick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 21, 2009, 12:05:32 am »

I was hooking up a waterwheel to an underground river. In the process of expanding to put more in, I channeled out an area. Then I looked down and realized that I had just opened the river up to my lower floor, flooding the entire area. I tried to get my legendary miners to build walls, but I couldn't get them to in time.

Oh well, I later opened that lower floor up into a Bottomless Pit style chasm, and the water spread out to an area about 20 squares across. It also managed to sweep a bunch of troglodytes down to a level and kill them all.

The bad news is I had opened up that floor right at the beginning of the underground river, on one of the tiles marked "waterfall." Getting that floor back isn't going to happen.

Oh and another tip, don't accidentally set a Ballista to "fire at will" when it's facing a crowded entrance hallway.

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 21, 2009, 12:14:22 am »

Today, I learned the difference between a giant eagle and a skeletal giant eagle.

:(

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 21, 2009, 12:25:52 am »

Today, I learned the difference between a giant eagle and a skeletal giant eagle.

:(

Skin and meat and.... a brain right....
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 21, 2009, 03:39:07 am »

My face palm moment was when I discovered that cooking doesn't preserve seeds, and I had just 1 plumb helmet spawn and no plumb helmets.

Fortunatly due to the massive over-spawning of animals, my fortress survived due to all the meat. They were breeding so fast I needed to build 3 butchers with all the plutter.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 21, 2009, 05:25:25 am »

Finding the joy of the v button when creatures are standing on the same tile. Seriously, i've been playing this game for freaking ages without v, i guess brain injuries truly don't heal.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 21, 2009, 07:19:02 am »

After a large series of announcements I realized that lever was connected to TWO bridges.
And the other bridge...?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 21, 2009, 07:19:57 am »

When i realised that i could scroll down on the wounds menu to see if dwarves had spine injuries, must have spent alot on drinks trying to recover my throat after shouting at the recruits so much.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #254 on: June 21, 2009, 08:01:55 am »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:10:18 pm by Stany »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 729