Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2117097 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3345 on: December 16, 2010, 10:08:26 am »

the thing is that water and magma (don't ask if you don't wanna know) keep the speed of falling the same. so falling into an abyss that's 100 z-levels of water (provided 1 z-level fall before hitting water)  is actually BETTER than falling off a 20 z-level cliff.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #3346 on: December 16, 2010, 02:10:00 pm »

1: Forgetting that mining designation doesn't cancel the floor above the tile.
R.I.P. Urist McMiner

2: Raised the 2 bridges at fortress entrance for blocking outside a thief, one soldier get stuck between them. Lowered them.
R.I.P. Urist McSoldier
EDIT: also R.I.P Urist McPaesant, died with McSoldier
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:30:08 pm by Iados »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: December 16, 2010, 04:10:55 pm »

I get that with goblin squads containing a snatched dwarf. Fun ensues every time, at least for them. It's a real pain, since they still rise as ghosts and ghosts kill my FPS and I have 14 dwarves inside and several dozen assorted corpses outside and I am not opening the drawbridge without switching invaders off.

That is what slabs are for.  The real problem is finding the dwarves to memorialize in the listing.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: December 16, 2010, 04:28:27 pm »

I don't have any pause boxes with butchered animals. The only line you need to change for dwarves is the one about citizen deaths.

That is what slabs are for.  The real problem is finding the dwarves to memorialize in the listing.
They're either not in the listing, or they're one of the blank entries. But since they vanish off the units list (the very first message of the fortress was the one about horrifying screams... those aren't on the units list any more), it's more likely to be the first.

Although... there's a dead snatched hammerdwarf lying around who's still in the Unit list. I'll see what happens once I get the haunting message.

Edit: No haunting message, just the slowdown. Dwarf does not appear in the unit list except when hovering around, and does not appear in the memorial list even when on the unit list as Undead. At that point the only way of getting rid of the ghost is to manually shove it in a coffin.

Pre-emptively creating a memorial keeps the dwarf as Deceased and avoids the whole mess.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 05:07:45 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: December 16, 2010, 05:04:11 pm »

(the very first message of the fortress was the one about horrifying screams...

That's...your map opens down right into the HFS.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: December 16, 2010, 05:08:48 pm »

HEY POST THAT SAVE RIGHT NOW PLEASE AS A COURTESY TO THE FORUM. THANK YOU!
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: December 16, 2010, 05:15:04 pm »

Which it shouldn't do because the blue stuff is below ground where it should be, and jumping to the announcement took me to an unrevealed patch of rock on... some level I forgot to make a note of. The site geography is a little unusual, although I don't know if it's strange at all. The magma starts at level 114 and the map bottoms out at 2. I followed it down to level 96 or so, and it seems that the spires are just very long.

No need for caps, it's really not that exciting. Although I can still post it if you want to do experiments.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: December 16, 2010, 05:21:47 pm »

yes please
sorry I just hit my caps lock key unconsiously. I love experimenting with these things. i once got 5 embarks of 200 war dogs to take them out. and idiot dwarves too.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: December 16, 2010, 06:17:58 pm »

Right, this is odd. In trying to pin down the embark tiles needed to get the announcement (which originates on level 2), I found... well...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So uh, god knows what's actually down there if you get a functioning embark.

Here are the worldgen settings

and a map

and the mods that are up (I think I got them all).

If that doesn't work then I'll try and get something up on DFFD, but I haven't used it before.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: December 16, 2010, 07:20:32 pm »

the thing is that water and magma (don't ask if you don't wanna know) keep the speed of falling the same. so falling into an abyss that's 100 z-levels of water (provided 1 z-level fall before hitting water)  is actually BETTER than falling off a 20 z-level cliff.

No, that is not true. A dwarf can fall infinity z-levels and as long as he drops into two (or possibly three) level high water, he'll be perfectly fine (if we disregard the drowning issue).
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: December 16, 2010, 09:17:49 pm »

So I had the wonderful idea of training my military dwarfs at swimming. I am in a terrifying beach, so I thinked it would be useful. But of course, at the same time two zombie whales were breaking in my fortress, going into an rampage and killing dwarfs quickly. So I sended my military, and then every thing failed in my life.

The whales basically did a massacre. Any soldier that was not dead at that moment was in coma for is whole life. And at the same times... Ogres. Three. Near of my fortress. They entered, passed the last whale alive (she was about to die anyway) and started another killing spree. The population of my fortress had dropped from 134 to 116 because of the whales, and now the ogres were just having fun with my civilians.

But of course, I had a plan. All the defenses of my fortress were down, the ten military dwarves were dead, I had ogres killing the cook in the dining room and zombie beasts could enter in my fortress (at this point, there was a little army against me, because I had never tried to make the zombie population outside of my fortress decrease) but I  had a goddamn epic plan.

All the 103 dwarfs still alive retreated into the deepest part of my fortress. I was doing a little challenge in this fortress and all my dwarfs were trained to fight, a little bit. But of course I had no equipment for them. So deep in my fortress, near the tree farm, i cutted all the trees of the underground and built a carpenter workshop to build wooden armors and shields, as much as possible, while the bad guys in the top were breaking doors and statues, getting near... I digged out after that some of the obsidian layer of my map and then built obsidian shortswords. At the end, half of the dwarfs were equipped with all this scrap before the ogres finally breaked in. And the massacre started again.

Killing, killing and killing. Dorfs flying across the room. The mayor getting owned by a zombie kraken and bleeding to death. The new milita commander, the only one with steel armor and weapons, got destroyed by a zombie tiger. But at the end, I won. 34 dorfs were still alive and nearly nothing else was living on the map. They returned up in the higher levels, reconstructed the doors, rebuilded the defenses, and the fortress started to live again. And then...

Forgotten Beast McWeirdName come in the fortress. It is a giant bear of fire, capable killing dwarfs with his venom.

/Facepalm

Harbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: December 16, 2010, 09:52:08 pm »

So I had the wonderful idea of training my military dwarfs at swimming. I am in a terrifying beach, so I thinked it would be useful. But of course, at the same time two zombie whales were breaking in my fortress, going into an rampage and killing dwarfs quickly. So I sended my military, and then every thing failed in my life.

The whales basically did a massacre. Any soldier that was not dead at that moment was in coma for is whole life. And at the same times... Ogres. Three. Near of my fortress. They entered, passed the last whale alive (she was about to die anyway) and started another killing spree. The population of my fortress had dropped from 134 to 116 because of the whales, and now the ogres were just having fun with my civilians.

But of course, I had a plan. All the defenses of my fortress were down, the ten military dwarves were dead, I had ogres killing the cook in the dining room and zombie beasts could enter in my fortress (at this point, there was a little army against me, because I had never tried to make the zombie population outside of my fortress decrease) but I  had a goddamn epic plan.

All the 103 dwarfs still alive retreated into the deepest part of my fortress. I was doing a little challenge in this fortress and all my dwarfs were trained to fight, a little bit. But of course I had no equipment for them. So deep in my fortress, near the tree farm, i cutted all the trees of the underground and built a carpenter workshop to build wooden armors and shields, as much as possible, while the bad guys in the top were breaking doors and statues, getting near... I digged out after that some of the obsidian layer of my map and then built obsidian shortswords. At the end, half of the dwarfs were equipped with all this scrap before the ogres finally breaked in. And the massacre started again.

Killing, killing and killing. Dorfs flying across the room. The mayor getting owned by a zombie kraken and bleeding to death. The new milita commander, the only one with steel armor and weapons, got destroyed by a zombie tiger. But at the end, I won. 34 dorfs were still alive and nearly nothing else was living on the map. They returned up in the higher levels, reconstructed the doors, rebuilded the defenses, and the fortress started to live again. And then...

Forgotten Beast McWeirdName come in the fortress. It is a giant bear of fire, capable killing dwarfs with his venom.

/Facepalm

I am in awe of the sheer epicness of this...
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: December 17, 2010, 02:16:23 am »

/Facepalm

I am in awe of the sheer epicness of this...

SERIOUSLY. Shootandrun, My hat is off to you.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #3358 on: December 17, 2010, 11:36:11 am »

discovering water pressure

'nuff said, happens to everybody

kaapelikala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: December 17, 2010, 03:56:11 pm »

Why, oh why. Why is my civ's leader a "Queen/drunk"?
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 729