Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2115519 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3360 on: December 17, 2010, 04:14:02 pm »

Didn't know that bronze is better than iron.

Yes, I'm an idiot.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: December 17, 2010, 08:40:35 pm »

Didn't know that bronze is better than iron.

Yes, I'm an idiot.

Wait, what?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: December 17, 2010, 09:11:50 pm »

Bronze armor/weapons are marginally better than iron. It was more pronounced in earlier version where armor/weapon effectiveness was in % rather than complex formulas we still haven't entirely sorted out, but it's still somewhat better.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: December 17, 2010, 09:15:22 pm »

In vanilla, iron used to be better than bronze. Now, with the more complex materials system, it's been reversed for wepons.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: December 17, 2010, 09:20:05 pm »

But isn't iron still better armour?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53571.0

Seems to indicate that it is.

As for facepalm moments?

Earlier today I forgot to account for preassure when working on a megaproject that involved magma pumps. Fortunately for me and my project, my last save had been mere minutes ago so I was able to undesignate.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: December 17, 2010, 09:25:12 pm »

Iron seems to be better for armor.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: December 18, 2010, 12:13:10 am »

Lost 20 dwarves in my first ever goblin siege. Went over fantastically apart from that; the only reason I lost so many was because they were caught in the mines (The only exit from which lead outside. I did this because I've gotten nasty hell from the beasties below in previous saves, so I wanted to be extra safe from em this time around.)

Also: I have taken every single goblin in the siege prisoner, except one who was murdered in front of his comrades along the cage line. I'm gonna be using them as training for a looong time :D

It's been a learning experience. And the dwarves who died were, luckily, not too important. Worst part of it all is my having 20 fps, with 99 dwarves running around dropping off corpses. Now to figure out prisoner dropoffs...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 12:20:30 am by Stoup »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: December 18, 2010, 12:31:11 am »

It's been a learning experience. And the dwarves who died were, luckily, not too important. Worst part of it all is my having 20 fps, with 99 dwarves running around dropping off corpses. Now to figure out prisoner dropoffs...
Build a tower of stairs, build a floor at the top, build the cage containing a prisoner of your choice there, make pit zone next to it, designate prisoner to be put in the pit, watch, laugh.

Anyway, I was in the middle of a siege when I sent my actually decent military guys out to engage the enemy at the beginning of the bridge instead of getting everyone inside and waiting it out. The gobbos probably would have killed themselves on all the traps.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: December 18, 2010, 12:34:09 am »

Build a tower of stairs, build a floor at the top, build the cage containing a prisoner of your choice there, make pit zone next to it, designate prisoner to be put in the pit, watch, laugh.

Anyway, I was in the middle of a siege when I sent my actually decent military guys out to engage the enemy at the beginning of the bridge instead of getting everyone inside and waiting it out. The gobbos probably would have killed themselves on all the traps.
Well, my idea was more along the lines of:
A. Bring them, in their cage, to a "slaughter room"
B. Strip them.
C. Allow my recruits to beat the living shit out of them, one at a time.
D. Piss on their corpses
THEN I would throw them into my moat, which contains plenty enough corpses already. Problem is I can't for the life of me figure out how to properly place an occupied cage...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: December 18, 2010, 12:42:32 am »

[ b ]uild->[j]cage->[ x ]show individual cages.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 01:22:04 am by FuzzyZergling »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: December 18, 2010, 12:49:10 am »

[ x ] is what he means
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: December 18, 2010, 12:51:03 am »

[ b ]uild->[j]cage->
  • show individual cages.
Thanks, that helps aplenty. X didn't show up, though after a bit more experimentation I found it out myself.

Another facepalm: I made my legendary miner my baroness. She was one of the founding 7, and she's one of the dwarves I most respect in my settlement (Ashsteel, for future reference) After she had injured herself trying to dig out the moat, I decided it was time to retire her. I didn't mind losing a miner, I could always forge more picks and labor was at an excess. (this is my first truly successful fortress, 120 dwarves at its peak) The only downside I've found to making her a noble? She's on the verge of suicide over the "pretentious burial arrangements of lesser dwarves".

My catacombs are in a coal vein I carved out...

On an unrelated note, I've decided to punish the goblins by locking them in the death chamber, and waiting for them to go insane/die of hunger
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 12:52:54 am by Stoup »

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: December 18, 2010, 12:56:48 am »

On an unrelated note, I've decided to punish the goblins by locking them in the death chamber, and waiting for them to go insane/die of hunger

I don't think that happens with goblins... Or any un-friendly creature for that matter.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: December 18, 2010, 01:05:39 am »

Ah, damn. Well I still have a lot of options, I got a really interesting map. Should I:
1. Dump them down my waterfall, to rot among the dead crocodiles?
2. Keep them in my stockpiles till I can capture a powerful beast, then unleash it upon them?
3. Continue with the plan to use them as training dummies?
4. Place them on the areas of my map isolated by rivers, then pull up the bridge I brought them in on? This would keep away any of the wild crocodiles that wander into these areas to be shot at by my archers/scare people in my dining room
5. Build an execution tower? Though unnecessary ( I already have 2 places set for dumping that provide fatal drops) it might be fun to drop them and be able to collect the remains
6. Drown them? I have a noble execution chamber I epically failed at making, which is now flooded. I could channel into it from above, dump the cages then let them get stuck against the grating at the end for all eternity.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: December 18, 2010, 01:24:18 am »

Dumping the cages themselves would do nothing, creatures inside don't need to breathe.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 729