Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2116100 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3420 on: December 20, 2010, 05:24:35 pm »

If you dig out the square, you should get his bones back.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: December 20, 2010, 05:34:52 pm »

Hmm, I might try. Though it's still aquiferous terrain. I sort of hoped he'd float up when the ice melts, but that won't happen, will it? (If the ice is planning to melt at all.)
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: December 20, 2010, 06:59:29 pm »

Busy hallway fileld with civilians, siege operator, ballista, fire at will. (I thought I made a catapault!  Seriously!)
Hallway filled with poor dwarves.

Oops.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: December 20, 2010, 07:22:05 pm »

I use yearly autosave.

I played through an entire year in one sitting, from winter to autumn. In late autumn, a kobold thief came knocking, I decided to let my military chase it as far as it would lead them with a kill order.

The game crashed the instant the kobold left the map, presumably because of the kill order.

What's more, I can't seem to get an account working on the bugtracker, so I can't even report this bug (if unknown).
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: December 20, 2010, 07:36:10 pm »

A creature made of fire will die if you tap it with a featherwood crutch. Not much to fear, really.

Or just kicking it.
I do love that webcomic.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: December 20, 2010, 07:40:07 pm »

A creature made of fire will die if you tap it with a featherwood crutch. Not much to fear, really.

Or just kicking it.
I do love that webcomic.
*High five*
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: December 20, 2010, 07:49:44 pm »

I use yearly autosave.

I played through an entire year in one sitting, from winter to autumn. In late autumn, a kobold thief came knocking, I decided to let my military chase it as far as it would lead them with a kill order.

The game crashed the instant the kobold left the map, presumably because of the kill order.

What's more, I can't seem to get an account working on the bugtracker, so I can't even report this bug (if unknown).

No, if the game crashed every time a squad loses its target due to it leaving the map, it would be unplayable. Your bug was most likely either related to something else entirely or the kobold was some sort of special case - maybe he carried some item that shouldn't be carried or something like that.
Anyway, I play with seasonal autosave AND autobackup and so far it's saved my for more than once.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: December 20, 2010, 08:12:11 pm »

I use yearly autosave.

No, if the game crashed every time a squad loses its target due to it leaving the map, it would be unplayable. Your bug was most likely either related to something else entirely or the kobold was some sort of special case - maybe he carried some item that shouldn't be carried or something like that.
Anyway, I play with seasonal autosave AND autobackup and so far it's saved my for more than once.

Well, assuming he's playing on a mac or linux, the bug has already been reported, and has been marked as acknowledged.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: December 20, 2010, 08:19:20 pm »

Und I am Lunix :D

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: December 21, 2010, 02:16:15 am »

How do I get DF for linux (Ubuntu 10.4 LTS) without wine?

I can't use the tool my ISP gave me to hook up to the internet (to get Wine and such) 'cause I don't have wine  :D its great here.

*a few moments later*
seems there's no "linux version of DF"
*facepalm*
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: December 21, 2010, 02:53:13 am »

Began in the bottom of a basin, with the spring of a brook and magma nearby. Easily defensible with some quick mining away of some slopes, through in an elevated drowning chamber as the effective airlock into the fortress proper. I was making use of the basin as a courtyard of sorts; outdoor farming, water source, trade depot. . . no fish unfortunately.

So winter rolls round. Brook freezes at a bend near the edge of the map, along a microline wall I've built across its' surface to block the map edge. Back towards the spring, water bursts through the top brook tiles and proceeds to fill the basin. Doors at my entrances to my underground farming, and into the fortress proper seal out the water, but the dwarven caravan I've been host to haven't developed gills.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: December 21, 2010, 08:26:15 am »

How do I get DF for linux (Ubuntu 10.4 LTS) without wine?

Use a real operating system?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: December 21, 2010, 09:59:15 am »

three things:
1. lulz
2. hey! I can boot off my flash drive and play 3d shooting and racing games on an IBM laptop.
3. I use both windows and linux, thank you.
yeah...
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: December 21, 2010, 12:35:49 pm »

@TolyK:

Go to bay12games.com/dwarves

assuming you're using firefox, or indeed any sensibly designed browser, hit ctrl+f and enter "linux" as the search term. If you can't find it after that, I cannot help you. Once you have it, it's pretty much the same to use as the windows version, though it may take some getting used to. There's a shell script that runs the game named 'df' instead of any sort of .exe though. If you want to get it in your menu, you'll have to take some extra steps.

(Written assuming you're new to the field:)
Go to http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DwarfFortress and save the page image, we'll use it as the menu icon. now go to System -> Preferences -> Main Menu ; highlight the games folder (or a subfolder you intend to use to store the item), and select "add item". The box that pops up, there's an icon insert where you can use that image to use as the menu icon, put "Dwarf Fortress" in for name, and the *exact* path to the df (For me, for instance, the path is /home/monarch/noninstalled\ games/df_linux/df) goes into the command section. Save it and you have a new menu entry for Dwarf Fortress, running natively and everything.

This message will also be PM'd to you.

@TheJackal: I find this amusing, since Ubuntu is ultimately a custom Debian install, so this implies Debian isn't a real OS either, and if Debian isn't a real OS, then Red Hat/Fedora, Arch, and any other package system (really the only thing distinguishing these various OSes, since they're based off of the same core components (Linux, who'd'a thunk'it)) are also not real OSes, leaving us with ones that are very carefully and deliberately user unfriendly unless you already know exactly what you're doing. My point is, every distro has its purpose.

My other point is, "use a real OS" is deader than cake being a lie or even, dare I say it, all your base belonging to us.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: December 21, 2010, 01:01:17 pm »

thanks for the link.
I feel like an idiot now.
*facecomputer*
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 729