Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2136259 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3630 on: January 12, 2011, 08:25:10 am »

So I'm playing with magma for the first time. I've dug out a nice, refillable reservoir connected to a volcano. I have a nice complex of workshops planned out on the floor above so I can use magma forges and stuff.

And like an idiot, I started filling the reservoir before I started on the workshops. So the game is literally pausing every second because the miners found warm stone. Yes, I know, stop telling me.

For what it's worth, I don't believe you can build the workshops without have the magma ready anyhow.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: January 12, 2011, 09:08:01 am »

You can dig out a workshop space, then dig out a magma reservoir and fill it. It's what I usually do.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: January 12, 2011, 10:00:35 am »

So I'm playing with magma for the first time. I've dug out a nice, refillable reservoir connected to a volcano. I have a nice complex of workshops planned out on the floor above so I can use magma forges and stuff.

And like an idiot, I started filling the reservoir before I started on the workshops. So the game is literally pausing every second because the miners found warm stone. Yes, I know, stop telling me.

For what it's worth, I don't believe you can build the workshops without have the magma ready anyhow.

She's referring to having the miners dig out the space for the workshops, in this case.

This is why I use channels and try to remember to dig out the workshop space before filling them. Forgot to do that yesterday, wound up just letting my miners uncover all the 'warm stone' warnings, mine out everything else, and then redesignated the channels.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #3633 on: January 12, 2011, 11:20:56 am »

Oh my god, one of my miner is marked for death. He breached the wall of the volcano for redirecting the magma...

but got a minor wound on the lower lip (can't find a more similar color).

Heavy bleeding. And what happens if a dwarf sees blood on the ground while running away from lava?

Exactly.

He stopped for cleaning the floor

P.S.: UnLuckily he ran away in time...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: January 12, 2011, 02:50:32 pm »

You can. They just won't function until the magma is in place.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: January 12, 2011, 07:55:29 pm »

New fortress, doing pretty good, i send my miners to dig out a sun roof so i can plant outside plants inside when,
A section of the cave has collapsed.
2 miners, along with an innocent pair of cats and a woodcutter dead.
Half my fortress dead, gone.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: January 12, 2011, 09:57:37 pm »

Trying to channel out a magma moat the simple way, by using a cave-in. Nope. Miner stands on the wrong side and dies.
Four times, with various 'don't stand here' methods tried.
Finally gave up and channeled it out the long way. Argh. Suicidal dorf.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

sicksock

• Bay Watcher
  • Incompetent Marksman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: January 13, 2011, 02:42:23 am »

When a grandmaster carpenter gets beheaded by a startled kobold theif.

His untimely death prevented me from giving everyone great beds. Good work kobold, way to go.
"I've been a bad, bad little Dwarf and I must simply be beaten. Oh don't use a weapon, use your bare hands and make me feel it"

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: January 13, 2011, 09:03:41 am »

2 miners, along with an innocent pair of cats and a woodcutter dead.
No such thing as innocent cats. Those miner realized this and heroically foiled the nefarious feline plots!

Also; my first regiment (set up to combat ogres and harpies) is named 'the creative generals' and the second squad (for melee) is named 'the creative soldiers' not sure if this is facepalmable, but it's not very creative. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Vee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: January 13, 2011, 03:37:21 pm »

We all love Elves - or rather we love the wood, but not the Elves...

Well I was building my 'real' Trade Depot, when the Elves showed up for the first time, and went to the - old - Depot (outside, quickly built to trade with the first caravan).
When my Mason deconstructed the Depot, the Elves had already unloaded their wares at, the Elves went to the other - new Depot.

... without the wares. Which now lie on the ground just outside the Fortress..
I'll see if they correctly take the stuff with them, when they go, or what happens. I'm really tempted to flood them with magma now, unfortunately I still lack magma safe pumps...

EDIT: "Oh a Kobold, kill it!" <-- Bad idea, the Kobold was already fleeing and I know my game crashes with segfault when the designated target of a squad leaves the location.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:54:16 pm by Vee »

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: January 13, 2011, 04:27:53 pm »

Congratulations! You successfully robbed the pointy ears! ;D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: January 13, 2011, 04:41:42 pm »

I know my game crashes with segfault when the designated target of a squad leaves the location.

What did you do to break DF in this manner? Mine doesn't do that...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: January 13, 2011, 05:26:27 pm »

Got a new one!!
OK, same fortress, and a trio of forest spiders appear. naturally i call upon the militia of every citizen being recruited. i then have them swarm onto the spiders.
First two, down then when i see the last one more or less surrounded by unconsciousness dwarves. i look and see each one has a strike to the head. EACH ONE. thankfully, my dorfs kill it with an axe.

Unfortunately, i just lost a third of my working force.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: January 14, 2011, 11:07:05 am »

I know my game crashes with segfault when the designated target of a squad leaves the location.

What did you do to break DF in this manner? Mine doesn't do that...

This was a confirmed bug with prior versions; I'm just not sure if it was fixed by .16 or not until .17/.18.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: January 14, 2011, 04:40:32 pm »

My facepalm happened last night while I was dreaming about DF (in ASCII of coarse!). All my previous forts; I've gone through enormous time and trouble to set up secure sewage even having a sewage diversion into a trap reservoir. Then it hit me: All this time I could have save myself much headache by simply drawing water from a aquifer instead of the surface or caves.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 729