Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2116158 times)

erissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4695 on: July 06, 2011, 04:07:03 am »

Booze doesn't explode.

It boils. The red gas is booze vapor.

I think I can live with calling a rapid expansion of gas an explosion.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: July 06, 2011, 03:52:59 pm »

Finally learning to use some macros because of the huge megaproject in working on.
Being disappointed that it takes sooo long to designate those walls.
After 3 days of using slow macro, accidentally discovering that theres a macro speed controlling option in init.
Default=15=slowpoke speed, changed to 1= insanely fast macros.
Lost so much time.

Also realising that making a 1 wall macro and spamming it is way faster than manual typing .
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:58:14 pm by Z1000000m »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: July 06, 2011, 05:12:06 pm »

You know you can designate several tile of wall with the [ukmh] keys, right?

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: July 06, 2011, 09:04:29 pm »

My last fort had the greatest battle I have ever had in dwarf fortress.

I counted - 182 enemies, thanks to the fortress defense mode. Most of them in the late tiers. After two years of endless battles, sieges, ambushes, I had closed my fortress. Of the fifty steel-clad fully legendary dorfs, 26 remained. 24 others were just starting their training - ¾ of them were still novice in everything. After a sad error in lever linking, I opened my fortress and poured magma on that lever. Not my finest moment.

After an epic battle, I ordered the retreat. There was 156 dwarfs before the assault - after the battle, 78 remained. Nearly all of them made it to the bunker, only a dozen or so were killed while they were going. I made a review of my troops - no soldier was still alive. They had all died trying to make it to the gates to give a chance to my masons who needed some time to wall the fortress off. I passed to plan B. Digging to the gates, I sent my dorfs to loot the bodies of those who died there - friends and ennemies. I quickly retreated, equipped the survivors... And I attacked.

I was surprised the dorfs survived. I guess the other army had been really damaged by the battle of the gates. Anyway, 13 dorfs were still alive, I was about to restart production of food and booze and everything was happy and I realized half of the fortress was covered in magma. The original magma flow that the lever had unleashed - it was'nt stopped, because the drawbridge I built to block it was never linked to the lever!

/facepalm.

All the remaining dorfs died, if you wonder: all the useful piles (wood, stone...) were under the magma and I could'nt make walls.

Awesome0Person

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: July 06, 2011, 09:48:35 pm »

I learned to never let dwarfs mine candy without supervision. It was my first fort that lasted for more than a year. It had a pretty cool name, Wheelstockades, plus it had a dwarf with a candy sword who killed plenty of the clowns. The combat reports were hilarious.
Soon, you'll have a drunken avatar of destruction. As opposed to your normal drunken paragons of destruction.

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: July 08, 2011, 01:40:16 am »

After being taken aback by the fact that a flying forest titan brutalized all my legendary planters and my brewer before it was killed I realized that even though I judiciously roofed over my outdoor farming plots,
there was a 1x1 notch a flying enemy could get through from a channel I dug to a murky pool.

Of course the channel was only there to irrigate rebuilt flooring after excavating the outdoor access caused a cave-in and killed two dwarves, two farm plots and three stockpiles.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: July 08, 2011, 01:42:44 am »

Another text book case:
I just finished my danger room in my fort's second year and ordered everyone in. I had put 5 weapons per tile to maximise output. I put the lever on repeat and left. suddenly I had messages like "urist mccheesemaker has been impaled on spikes'. zoom to location and find half my military torn to pieces. So why would trainning spears kill dorfs? Because I had gotten my mencing wooden spikes I was using for my dodge-'em and my danger room confused. FACE -> PALM

Also so mirgrants have just arrived next to a herd of capybaras. Should be fun.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4702 on: July 08, 2011, 05:50:03 am »

fire imps crept out of nowhere and started going up the staircase. Intercept and killed by a soldier, who, with a really, really Cool appeal decided to go for a drink.
The explosion destroyed everything.
every single booze in the stockpile and left ashes everywhere.
You know what's even more funny?
the soldier survived the fire, the explosion, and saved himself by ending up in the pool.
he then went back to grab a snack.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

kellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: July 08, 2011, 05:05:44 pm »

Replaced all the flooring and walling in my fortress with marble blocks, as well as made an awesome magma-delivery system to every other level of my fortress, so the levels above the magma would be able to have magma forges/kilns/furnaces/whathaveyou....these were also marble. I was so proud of my gleaming almost-ivory Fortress up untill I flipped the lever that released the magma, and I found out that marble isn't magma safe.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: July 08, 2011, 08:32:34 pm »

once when i was absolutely new to this game i decided it would be a good idea to convert the first layer of soil into a massive store room, but i forgot about the channeling i did on the edge of the map (to keep migrants out) and ended up caving in the entire map

Donagh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: July 08, 2011, 09:48:14 pm »

I had a surpluses of caged gobbos in the days before I knew the importance of disarming prisoners. Dropped one of them into an elaborate goblin arena with four of my recruits for some handy goblin slather training. Not only did he kill them all.. he escaped from my fortress with his life the little fucker!
=> facepalm

Tirunus

• Bay Watcher
  • Something witty here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: July 08, 2011, 10:07:37 pm »

I breached the mighty HFS in the search of of the famed adamantine, my fortress being near the surface I had much time and many peasants to slow down the tide of demons errr elephants going through a "phase". At the mouth of my tunnel system I built many a copper grate to block out the tide of black t-shirt clothed,studded bracelet wearing elephants And hopefully silencing the sounds of thousands of elephants saying "thats so metal"

But with their gain of crappy death metal music they burned straight through the copper grates and  gain entrance into the mighty citadel slaying all the half insane dwarves inside.
My personal text is in itself a attempt to be witty, making fun of the fact that peoples personal text usually are trying to make a witty one liner. Possibly a reference to the game or just a generally humorous. You may also find that this signature is not used to regurgitate someone else's joke in a attempt to immortalize that they felt but instead have just joined a crowd of people who are to hung onto past feeling, but is used to better explain the personal text.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4707 on: July 09, 2011, 02:20:36 am »

using legends viewers.
it turns out i have an historical Butterfly Monarch creature.
but i have no clue how to pinpoint it.
i do note that there was however a certain "BUTTERFLASH!" who died after a season of hunger in winter.
sad thing
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: July 09, 2011, 06:19:01 am »

Give order to pull a lever.
Noone comes.
I'm waiting.
Fucking dwarves.
What the hell?
Oh, I had the game on pause.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: July 09, 2011, 09:23:21 am »

I breached the mighty HFS in the search of of the famed adamantine, my fortress being near the surface I had much time and many peasants to slow down the tide of demons errr elephants going through a "phase". At the mouth of my tunnel system I built many a copper grate to block out the tide of black t-shirt clothed,studded bracelet wearing elephants And hopefully silencing the sounds of thousands of elephants saying "thats so metal"

But with their gain of crappy death metal music they burned straight through the copper grates and  gain entrance into the mighty citadel slaying all the half insane dwarves inside.
Probably the best analogy for HFS ever.

Death Metal Elephants.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 729