Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2116387 times)

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4710 on: July 09, 2011, 03:11:16 pm »

my military dorfs died of thirst while attempting to punch a yeti to death

Kohrmeh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: July 09, 2011, 04:22:45 pm »

Finding out I dont need to wait for migrants to come with the skills I need. I just needed to use the little labor with healthcare and farmming and all that what not so that they can brew stuff if my Brewer was killed by a GOD DAMN TROGLODYTE BECAUSE THE SQUAD WASNT FOLLOWING ORDERS. Thus makeing a booze less fortress that was in winter causeing everyone to kill each other.Oh how Fun it was.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: July 10, 2011, 07:34:49 am »

I dug a seperate tunnel down to the caverns to lure out a forgotten beast in front of my fortress and the traps.
It didn't seem interested and just crawled around, so I killed it. After I disabled the civilian alert, my dwarves started swarming into the caverns and started collecting the remains and body parts of about 20 trolls and goblins I threw down there......  :-\

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: July 10, 2011, 11:06:58 am »

taking 20 rabbits to feed my fortress, without realising that all they give is a single skull.

modding time!

callahan.44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: July 10, 2011, 03:05:19 pm »

Finding out I dont need to wait for migrants to come with the skills I need.

When you have 50+ dwarfs you'll know why everyone uses DwarfTherapist. 1 mouse click and you can make them all Brewers!
I'm so glad I don't use the ingame clusterf*ck skills assignment anymore.
"I had it all. I had a fortress that was very decent, a military that was getting very respectable. I was close to being complete."
"Shit man, now it's all gone."

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: July 11, 2011, 01:32:16 am »

Finding out I dont need to wait for migrants to come with the skills I need.

When you have 50+ dwarfs you'll know why everyone uses DwarfTherapist. 1 mouse click and you can make them all Brewers!
I'm so glad I don't use the ingame clusterf*ck skills assignment anymore.

Custom professions in DT are the best. Miners, Soldiers, Nurses and Workers. I'm considering making a "Legend" class, but meh. So you made a cool earring? Back to work!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: July 11, 2011, 11:00:35 pm »

The Jolly Battle- during the year who-the-hell-cares in the month of go-the-F***-back-to-work-ya-piss-drunk-dorvzzzzZZZZZZZZZ, during mid Diggy Diggy Hole:

My dwarves....oh, my retarded...STUPID...DWARVES. I generated a level through the advanced level maker*.
I set the temperature minimum to -1000 and the max to 1000! Now, I'm thinking..."My dwarves can handle this!" so I embark...on a scorching area...hot enough to melt, MELTED metal!
anyway, So I'm just watching my dwarves dig...then a dog begins to do a most...peculiar thing. he starts SLIPPING AND SLIDING AROUND! BUT I'M NOT DONE! THEN HE BEGINS TO LEAVE BLOOD EVERYWHERE! THEN HE MELTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AS IF ON FU**ING CUE, THE OTHER DWARVES BEGINS DO THE SAME DAM* THING!!! I'M NOW SITTING, SLACKJAW, WONDERING HOW IN THE NAME OF ARMOK COULD IT POSSIBLY GET ANY WORSE! LO AND BEHOLD, TWO FORGOTTEN BEAST SPEARMEN SHOW UP AND THROW MY LAST SURVIVING DWARF, THAT WAS APPARENTLY DIGGING A DEEP HOLE THAT I DON'T RECALL ORDERING HIM TO DIG IN THE FIRST PLACE, OFF A FU**ING CLIFF! BAM! FUN FUN FUN!

*Ahem*...it was a sad day.

*(more like adv-*pukes*...anced......leve-*blaaaarrrrrgggg.....* maker....*blarg.*)
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Cpt.tazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: July 12, 2011, 12:15:44 pm »

in adventure mode i was sent to kill a legendary dragon, after about 30 other minor quests, i was walking along then i was attacked by bandits, i killed about 3 of them when suddenly magma filled the valley i was fighting in and i died, spent a good 2 hours trying to find the area in dwarf mode before i finally gave up, a flowing volcano would be awesome
Got a pterodactyl with a knobby turtle shell composed entirely of vomit in my caverns. Apparently it moves deliberately. It's teamed up with a giant steam shrimp.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where you aren't hallucinating.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: July 12, 2011, 12:18:02 pm »

The Jolly Battle- during the year who-the-hell-cares in the month of go-the-F***-back-to-work-ya-piss-drunk-dorvzzzzZZZZZZZZZ, during mid Diggy Diggy Hole:

My dwarves....oh, my retarded...STUPID...DWARVES. I generated a level through the advanced level maker*.
I set the temperature minimum to -1000 and the max to 1000! Now, I'm thinking..."My dwarves can handle this!" so I embark...on a scorching area...hot enough to melt, MELTED metal!
anyway, So I'm just watching my dwarves dig...then a dog begins to do a most...peculiar thing. he starts SLIPPING AND SLIDING AROUND! BUT I'M NOT DONE! THEN HE BEGINS TO LEAVE BLOOD EVERYWHERE! THEN HE MELTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AS IF ON FU**ING CUE, THE OTHER DWARVES BEGINS DO THE SAME DAM* THING!!! I'M NOW SITTING, SLACKJAW, WONDERING HOW IN THE NAME OF ARMOK COULD IT POSSIBLY GET ANY WORSE! LO AND BEHOLD, TWO FORGOTTEN BEAST SPEARMEN SHOW UP AND THROW MY LAST SURVIVING DWARF, THAT WAS APPARENTLY DIGGING A DEEP HOLE THAT I DON'T RECALL ORDERING HIM TO DIG IN THE FIRST PLACE, OFF A FU**ING CLIFF! BAM! FUN FUN FUN!

*Ahem*...it was a sad day.

*(more like adv-*pukes*...anced......leve-*blaaaarrrrrgggg.....* maker....*blarg.*)

You COULD mod dwarves to handle the heat.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: July 12, 2011, 03:22:43 pm »

shhhh....they're sleeping...OH SHIT NOT AGAIN! NO! DON'T GO UP THERE! THERES NO NEED TO GET YOUR FRIEND'S STU-shit.
 ??? REALLY!? REALLY!? IT TOOK THE OVER DWARVES LIKE THREE GOOD MINUTES TO START SLIP'N'SLIDING! YOU, ON THE OTHER HAND, WALK OUT THERE FOR 5 SECONDS, LOOK AT THE SUN, SMILE, THEN MELT INTO A PILE OF FUCKING FROSTY THE GODDAMN SNOWMAN!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: July 13, 2011, 01:30:25 pm »

After the first attempt at obsidianising magma around a small candy tube (which succeeded but flooded the level above with water), I sent my best miner down to carefully chip out the candy without disturbing either magma or water. He was doing pretty well. So then I sent him to dig a staircase down to attack the next level.

He found a hidden pocket of magma.

"Erith Lolokthinstad, Miner, has bled to death" :(
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

AiresPenlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: July 13, 2011, 01:36:52 pm »

"Why are all my dwarves starving to death! The food stockpiles are full! See, dimple cups, cave wheat, and quarry bushes! Plenty to eat!"

To think I'd played this game for so long without considering that there are some things Dwarves will plant, that they won't eat.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: July 13, 2011, 03:31:52 pm »

Blargh. The only one of those three that I ever keep seeds around for is cave wheat, but only because it's brewable.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: July 13, 2011, 10:37:11 pm »

A starving dwarf eats every thing. Proved to be wrong!
 :-X
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Synthet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: July 14, 2011, 09:22:14 am »

That one time when I was starting out and my only brewer never made any alcohol and was resting almost all day which was causing all sorts of havoc.
I finally figure out how to find and check the lazy bugger only to discover hes been permanently disabled and I've been repeatedly ordering him to get out of his death bed, poor guy. Then everyone died from thirst, I even built a well over a river that froze over after the freaking construction!
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 729