Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2116388 times)

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4741 on: July 18, 2011, 09:10:17 pm »

I dammed a river, and was rerouting it into my fortress to function as a waterfall.  I dug a drainage tunnel that went to the map edge, had pressure breaks both where the waterfall started AND flowed into my wells, grates on every access level, the works; I finally had the water all welled up and ready for release, PULL THE LEVER I SAY!

Oh, shit.  I forgot to re-link the floodgate to that lever when I had to move it.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Entih

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: July 19, 2011, 02:18:59 am »

Facepalm part 1:  I spent a few minutes modding the Human civ to allow fortress mode.  An hour or two later of sissy surface dweller building I realize there are no nobles or positions in the nobles screen.  I forgot to put them in.

Facepalm part 2:  I put the nobles in, why aren't they showing?  Wait... I don't have to build the world with them already in the civ file, do I?  Of course, building another world with that civ file worked.  A few hours of work down the drain, but at least I am building proper now.

Fahgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: July 20, 2011, 12:27:35 pm »

Read through the Tundra/Glacier thread and, inspired, preceded to create a new world. Looking around the glacier I discovered a volcano. Like any good dorf decided that was the best place to embark. set up my starting seven as per this post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88543.msg2454597#msg2454597

I paid special attention to the note to bring lots of fuel/bitumous coal. I brought 20 units of the stuff.

It was only after I built my first magma smelter I realised "I really didn't need to bring that bitumous coal did I...". Flux stone would have been better as I have plenty of Hematite. *sigh*  :-\

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: July 20, 2011, 02:24:39 pm »

In a recently-started fort of mine, I had breached the caverns early to get a tree farm and underground pasture available as quickly as possible. Since there weren't any beasts I could see down there, I let my woodworker/tree cutter cut down some nearby trees. Then, right after the second migrant wave, a giant iguana FB showed up in the caverns. "No problem," I thought. "He can't fly, so the up/down stairs won't be open to him." I forgot that there was one up stair for my woodcutter. Fun ensued.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: July 20, 2011, 02:28:12 pm »

When I ordered my two-member military to attack prisoners on the top of a wall with steep drops on both sides. My military is pancaked. :(

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: July 20, 2011, 08:06:55 pm »

All you noobs have pretty good screwups, but I recently usurped George Costanza for the title "lord of the idiots." Observe:
I spent two years building a 40 z-level deep pit trap with two bridges over them and a pillar in between that supported a pressure plate that did...fun stuff. The pit had a magma cleanup system, and then a draining system for the magma so it would return to its grated-cistern that led to a volcano and leave the goblinite behind. It was a masterful piece of dorfen engineering.
On the LAST z-level, after the bottom bridge that covered the magma, I accidentally dug through a support pillar when I hit d-h and didn't take the time to un-designate the pillars. The magma-covers collapsed, killing 3 Legendary Miners, and the bridge above collapsed. The debris killed an Adept Mechanic as he was climbing back up a staircase from the bottom, and the colapse itself killed a Grand Master Woodcutter who was getting wood, and a Legendary Gem Setter who had just finished making an artifact and carrying it back across the bridge: InkyShield, a Black Diamond Window.
The magma pit was connected to an underground volcano, so everything sunk to the semi-molten rock.

Bow and pay tribute to your king! For I am franti, Dwarf Lord of the idiots!

Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: July 20, 2011, 09:25:47 pm »

That last part makes up for your n00b comment. I have not had any face palms recently. . . .

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:39 am »

All you noobs have pretty good screwups, but I recently usurped George Costanza for the title "lord of the idiots." Observe:
I spent two years building a 40 z-level deep pit trap with two bridges over them and a pillar in between that supported a pressure plate that did...fun stuff. The pit had a magma cleanup system, and then a draining system for the magma so it would return to its grated-cistern that led to a volcano and leave the goblinite behind. It was a masterful piece of dorfen engineering.
On the LAST z-level, after the bottom bridge that covered the magma, I accidentally dug through a support pillar when I hit d-h and didn't take the time to un-designate the pillars. The magma-covers collapsed, killing 3 Legendary Miners, and the bridge above collapsed. The debris killed an Adept Mechanic as he was climbing back up a staircase from the bottom, and the colapse itself killed a Grand Master Woodcutter who was getting wood, and a Legendary Gem Setter who had just finished making an artifact and carrying it back across the bridge: InkyShield, a Black Diamond Window.
The magma pit was connected to an underground volcano, so everything sunk to the semi-molten rock.

The King is a fool!  Long live the King!
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: July 21, 2011, 06:34:59 am »

i built a 8 double-store tall house with well-system over 7 years, only to discover the wells froze shortly in winter...

next winter i turned temperature off, as i wanted to build a big city without troubles

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: July 21, 2011, 10:29:15 am »

My new fortress was up and going, the log palisade around my hole in the ground coming along nicely.

However, I was busy trying to get through the aquifer, so I set up the whole dirt-drop system... and only belatedly realised that aquifers can span more than one layer.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: July 21, 2011, 11:11:03 am »

reminded me of the thing in AOE 2:
'all hail! king of the losers!'
I know exactly what you mean.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: July 21, 2011, 03:22:25 pm »

Already referenced to this in the Note to Urist thread BUT ...

The Fort was expecting its first caravan. Farms were up and running, and some crops had been harvested. A still was supposed to churn out drinks.

"So, how's it going?"

NO BOOZE? WHAT?

By boozemaker was on a break. I had ordered a few spare ones, but they were all busy doing other things. Finally, the brewer decides to get back to work. He brews a single drink, drinks it himself and returns to the meeting hall for another break.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: July 21, 2011, 05:00:42 pm »

In my current fort I have a system for obisidianising a portion of the magma sea, in order to safely mine out the candy that's poking up through the magma.

I had floors full of down-stairs to let the water through to the lower levels. I thought, this looks untidy and started to channel it out.

Then I noticed the lowest level had aquired a rather bright red colour. Yup, I've channeled away the walls holding back the magma.

OK, it isn't the end of the world: I can re-obsidianize and re-excavate, but such a waste of time.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: July 21, 2011, 05:51:26 pm »

Was modding in using Oil for fuel (stupid no coal biomes.  ::)) and forgot to make the container part of the reaction.  :-[

Happily, I can now use various plants (including corn!) to make oil for fuel. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 729