Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2116253 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4755 on: July 21, 2011, 06:03:15 pm »

Was modding in using Oil for fuel (stupid no coal biomes.  ::)) and forgot to make the container part of the reaction.  :-[

Happily, I can now use various plants (including corn!) to make oil for fuel. ^_^

You just made Ethanol!! I don't think that is a face palm but a strike of ingenuity as you discovered something by mistakenly doing something else.

Only without shouting "Eureka" and running off in excitement  :)

~~~
*Wonders how to make glass*

Urist Mc Noble: "I want clear glass!!"

Overseer: "All we have is green glass!"

It was then did I discover how to make clear glass...After a few dozen jailed attempts though.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: July 21, 2011, 06:16:18 pm »

Was modding in using Oil for fuel (stupid no coal biomes.  ::)) and forgot to make the container part of the reaction.  :-[

Happily, I can now use various plants (including corn!) to make oil for fuel. ^_^

You just made Ethanol!! I don't think that is a face palm but a strike of ingenuity as you discovered something by mistakenly doing something else.

Only without shouting "Eureka" and running off in excitement  :)

~~~
*Wonders how to make glass*

Urist Mc Noble: "I want clear glass!!"

Overseer: "All we have is green glass!"

It was then did I discover how to make clear glass...After a few dozen jailed attempts though.

Nah, the facepalm was messing up the reaction. Oil fuel was my intention here. I just had to go back and fix it to get my ethanol fix on. I also modded in a bunch of plants, including some that can be made into oil (including corn, peanuts and olives,) that can either be used as food or turned into fuel bars (coke).

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: July 22, 2011, 08:45:33 am »

this x.x

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: July 22, 2011, 02:30:17 pm »

The grossest moment I have ever had is right now as I am watching a guy drag a dead forgotten beast towards the butcher shop... it's a moth creature :P

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: July 22, 2011, 03:10:31 pm »

The grossest moment I have ever had is right now as I am watching a guy drag a dead forgotten beast towards the butcher shop... it's a moth creature :P

They arn't that bad , ate one accidentally last week. I was eating some sunflower seeds , picked one up I dropped (because I'm cheap)..put it in my mouth (because I've got terrible eye sight) ...found a wing in my mouth...it didn't taste that different than the sunflower seeds...
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: July 22, 2011, 04:39:40 pm »

I will attest from experience that cockroaches taste quite similar to almonds.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: July 22, 2011, 05:13:38 pm »

I don't know how to view a combat log in fortress mode, but I am sure I have seen people do it before. any ideas how?

EDIT: [r]eports, got it :P

2trips

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: July 22, 2011, 09:36:04 pm »

I've started a handful of forts now and had high hopes for my latest. They all thought I was daft to build a castle in the swamp, but I did it anyway! Just to show 'em! (And for the wood.)
The only entrance I could make was in a pathetic mud hill, very undwarflike. I made a cramped base under this pathetic mud hill and I only had 2 z-levels to the aquifer and no rock. I used reveal to find the one tiny hole through the aquifer (I made sure to get 3 biomes to maximise my chances and ended up with one tiny hole and no rock at all until I reach it), and I plan to move everything under the aquifer and keep a fake trade base at the pathetic mud hill. As I'm doing that, I decide to rig the whole top portion to drop in case of attack or elves. (I messed up my first trade with the elves by (o)ffering them everything. Whoops. Thank god for (s)ieze; I took everything they had. It worked so good I did it the second time they came and I think from now on I'm just robbing elves.)
Anyway I set up my first ever supports and lever, I think I've got it right, and I start moving everything downstairs and I'm trying to work out how to make a reactor with the aquifer, screw pumps and waterwheels when my best weaponsmith goes berserk(failed mood) and kills 2 dwarfs before being put down by my first ever functional military. I think some doors got dislodged in the fight.
I get so mad (not specifically about the doors) that I decide to drop the ceiling on their heads and perfect timing because the elves are here again! I wait till they set up in the trade depot right above my dining room where everyone is gathered for one final drink. Pull the lever, the supports fall but the ceiling does not. Pause, check the wiki, turns out the whole ceiling has to be totally disconnected. I had just erased the walls of my lower level so it was one big hall held up by 4 supports.
Okay guys, if you're not going to die that way then I'll destroy the stairs up, trapping you on this level, and dig out the aquifer to flood the level! Not so fast, all those exploratory stairs I dug into the aquifer below are draining extremely effectively. I remember something from the wiki about the aquifer absorbing water.
I wasn't paying attention to my immigrants and now my population is 84, the highest I've ever seen. After robbing the elves blind, we have enough food and booze to last us a very long time. Screw you Booktrampled.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: July 22, 2011, 11:50:13 pm »

Okay, this one is going to be done in character.

Overseer: The fort, she does well. We begun mining the bedrooms and dining hall is being smoothed as we speak. So far, no problems since that those snatchers killed a child and kidnapped the other. Well, almost we missed trading with the elves due to a goblin ambush shortly after that and those goblins are still there...
Dwarf: Sir, we have a problem.
Overseer: What is it this time?
Dwarf: Urist McMetalsmith has been taken by a mood.
Overseer: Great. Tell me when he's finished.
Dwarf: Urist McMETALSMITH.
Overseer: *Looks through papers* Oh... we have no smith's workshop or metal bars... so we need a smelter to smelt a least one bar of silver... and... oh... we are out of wood aren't we...
Dwarf: Yessir, the mason is on standby with the wall treatment.
Overseer: Noo... he's fine, we can get this done.
Dwarf: But the wood sir...
Overseer: Look there's a single tree just in front of the main gate. If we can get the wood cutter to cut it down, we'll be good. And the goblin are over on the edge of the land so they won't see him do it.
Dwarf: But isn't this too risky.
Overseer: Nah, we'll be fine. Hand me two copies of form q-P, please.

*Lever is pulled and gate opens.*
Overseer: Okay, I need to watch carefully and sign the form as soon as the log is brought in... wait... what... why is everyone going outside... why! The burrow restriction is still in effect come back! Where are you all going?
Dwarf: To get the elven caravan's stuff.
Overseer: But... the goblins are over there... why are they disregarding the burrow restriction?
Dwarf: Umm... burrow... what burrow?
Overseer: What do you mean what burrow? The Emergency Hidey-Hole burrow I made for our protection!
Dwarf: Oh... but you had that burrow removed... see this form here... you sighed it...
Overseer: *Looks at form... horrified.* No... this is form Double-U-d, I asked for form double d... I didn't want a burrow delete form, I wanted a mining designation form.
Dwarf: Oh... opps.

The goblins entered the fort and killed all those they could reach and mercifully left. There are now 12 out of the 40 we had. I'm am still alive, but I can barely continue living for all the sadness... except... well... At least those engravers finished smooth out this dining hall before they died. It looks gorgeous.

Dwarf: Sir, our mountain homes sent us a caravan.
Overseer: Good. You are now the broker. Go meet them and see to it that you bring some trade goods up.
Broker: Yessir.

*Crash* Suddenly an ambush appears in the middle of the trading hall. The goblins are chased off by the caravan guards, who then leave in a huff. Only 6 of our proud dwarves remain. My friend the broker is dead. So now I wander the empty halls in quiet space. I notice I'm being followed.

Dodok McNewBookkeeper: Expedition Leader, I want to talk to you.
Overseer: Okay, let's go to the dining room then...

Overseer: What seems to be the problem?
Dodok: I... I seen death recently. My son was kidnapped. My daughter's corpse rots outside. My wife's corpse rots gem stockpile. And my baby haunted me this morning.
Overseer: Well... I suppose you should be happy.
Dodok: Ha... ha.. happy?!
Overseer: Look around you. We have enough food to last us 6 years. You have been appointed a noble recently. You have been given a nice office and a better bed room. And sir, look at this legendary dining room in which you sit. And to top it all off, your entire family is dead, so you don't need to worry about anyone else dying. You should be happy.
Dodok: Y... You think... I should.. be... HAPPY! You dare say that to me! You... you... ... argh.... *throws the table across the room* ARGH! *Kicks the chair across the room.* RAWR! ... THAT FELT GOOD!!
Overseer: Feel better.
Dodok: Yes, much. You're right I have ate in a legendary dining room recently. I have slept in a room like a personal palace lately. I have admired a lovely door lately. And throwing that table was icing on the cake. Thanks for the talk.
Overseer: Anytime.

But... alas... we are only six. Our fort has fallen and corpses lay everywhere... so... we do the only thing we can. We start digging graves. As long as dwarves live and breath in these halls, our fort shall not fall. Papertrailed will continue to live another day.

TL/DR:
One child kidnapped by snacher. Later, one child killed by snatcher.
Moody dwarf needed metal, attempt to get metal let the dwarves out.
I accidentally deleted the burrow by forgetting to press ESC key twice and then pressing d for designate.
Dwarves went on suicide parade to get elven caravan's stuff causing the goblins to notice the open gate.
Dwarven caravan shows up and bring 3 goblin ambushes with it that don't appear until my broker sees them in the middle of the room where the trade depot is set up. The caravan guards kill the goblins, but the goblins killed a mule or something so the caravan left. On of the ambushes got too far in though and slaughtered everyone but the final six.
One dwarf, had lost a relative in every previously mentioned event. He wanted some consoling from the expedition leader... and didn't get what he expected. He tantrummed in the dining hall, threw some stuff, and then noticed how much awesome stuff happened to him recently.

It was really a series of rapid facepalms for me.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: July 23, 2011, 12:02:45 am »

Key bindings. Set it to D at the very least.

Fun series of events even without that though.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: July 23, 2011, 12:31:52 am »

I set up a fort with 30 dorfs set up to resemble myself, my family, and my friends.

Winter, year 1: I am kicked in the head by a horse, and killed instantly. My wife attacks my best friend with an axe and beheads him. She then rampages through the dining hall, beheading everyone in her path, Highlander style. My brother shoots her in both lungs, the liver, and finally (mercifully) the brain. He goes on a rampage. My meekest friend (our jeweler,) runs rampant about my factory destroying all of the workshops. He then gets the sniper treatment from my brother, who in turn begins killing all of the livestock outside. My animal training buddy throws him into the hillside so hard that he explodes in a shower of gore. Said animal trainer wades into the dining hall, which is now a mosh pit of miasma and flying furniture, begins grabbing everyone and punching their faces in. Eventually, he succumbs to a mob of dwarves, who then turn their fury inward.

Spring, Year 2: There is one lone dwarf left, attempting to dig out a catacombs. As he breaches where the doorway would be, he meets his final enemy. Thirst.

...my kingdom for a horse.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: July 23, 2011, 09:10:11 am »

I will attest from experience that cockroaches taste quite similar to almonds.

That gives me an Idea for a terrifying (yet high in protein)  variation on granola..
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: July 23, 2011, 11:09:45 am »

...my kingdom for a horse.

That, sir, was an excellent read. And a perfect example of why I'm NEVER naming any of my dwarves after anyone I know.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: July 23, 2011, 11:20:37 am »

a minotaur came. I sent my entire fortress (60 dwarves) against him, and they were all killed, save two who are in the hospital, un-ambulatory, starving, and thirsty with a giant cave spider scratching at the door. While I am waiting for them to starve, I get a message "[insert name here], Minotaur has been struck down"... a water buffalo gored him in the lungs and he suffocated... that's just great

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: July 23, 2011, 05:31:36 pm »

Spent about a half hour finding the perfect flat place for an above ground fort

GUNS UP, LETS DO THIS

embark

oh.

i forgot to prepare carefully

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU