Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2135868 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4890 on: August 11, 2011, 04:07:41 pm »

Figures. Still, was worth a try.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Aiyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: August 11, 2011, 07:12:26 pm »

When my dwarf in adventure mode, Vladimir Dentovski (inside joke with a friend), fought his way through a desert and a mountain range to bring an outlaw to justice, taking no damage... only for the outlaw to cut him down before he could swing his sword. *facedesk*
Sarchasm, Noun (Sar-Kaz-Im)
Definition: The gulf between your smartass comment, and the poor bastard that just doesn't get it.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: August 11, 2011, 07:31:06 pm »

Fey mood.  Dwarf claims the bowery.  Well, that's nice.  Something more useful than an artifact earing.  Nope--artifact bow.  Next time stay in and make some artifact arrows while you're at it, Urist Mcdouche.

At least its not an artifact fungiwood blowgun. Which is worse since you cant buy blowdarts :(
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: August 11, 2011, 07:42:23 pm »

Fey mood.  Dwarf claims the bowery.  Well, that's nice.  Something more useful than an artifact earing.  Nope--artifact bow.  Next time stay in and make some artifact arrows while you're at it, Urist Mcdouche.

At least its not an artifact fungiwood blowgun. Which is worse since you cant buy blowdarts :(
I just had that! GRAH AND I DIDN'T EVEN GET A LEGENDARY OUT OF IT.

He spent ages gathering ingredients too, the bastard.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: August 12, 2011, 02:14:05 am »

I didn't check my channeling designations and ended up channeling a lava tube right to my entrance while the humies were trading, and I didn't notice because I was watching dwarves mine out new living quarters until death notifications popped up.  much !!FUN!! was had.

GreenNight

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: August 12, 2011, 05:12:29 am »

I discovered that Dwarf Therapist exists for Linux.

Also, I did bad channeling/digging towards an aquifer and lost a legendary miner, he could go down the channel, but not up.

Aiyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: August 12, 2011, 09:15:17 am »

I just had that! GRAH AND I DIDN'T EVEN GET A LEGENDARY OUT OF IT.

He spent ages gathering ingredients too, the bastard.

I had a mason creature a legendary sword using my fortress' adamantite stocks... he used it to kill off the fortress then suicided.
Sarchasm, Noun (Sar-Kaz-Im)
Definition: The gulf between your smartass comment, and the poor bastard that just doesn't get it.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: August 12, 2011, 10:40:44 am »

In my latest fort I decided to build a road in the air, so traders would go up the 5 levels or so to my fortress in an awesome manner.

First I lost 7 dwarves when I built a bridge  and tried to continue the constructions - the game notes that the area can be built, but it causes a cavein immediatly - and dwarves sometimes get shoved off the edge for some reason (pressure differences?).

One of the more stupid deaths was when a piece fell, went down 4 stories through the fort and hit a dwarf who was walking underneath trying to engrave an empty room (that's unlucky).

Anyway, part of this awesome road was the barracks in the sky. Because of the silly way they build walls it had no corners. My epic dwarf was sparring, dodged - dodged out of the corner, fell 5 stories and died.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: August 12, 2011, 01:51:31 pm »

I forgot to wall off my pasture, the result was a bunch of badgers throwing a hissy-fit and killing all of my chickens.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

thor82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: August 13, 2011, 12:21:38 pm »

I forgot to wall off my pasture, the result was a bunch of badgers throwing a hissy-fit and killing all of my chickens.
wait, chicken must be assigned to the pasture area?!

i also contribute to the thread:
i suggested the game to one of my friends, he contacts me 2 days later stating that the game is too difficult and he stopped when he had to embark the dwarves

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #4900 on: August 13, 2011, 01:09:10 pm »

I don't think so. I always set up my nest boxes in my dining and/or food storage area and my chickens seem to be fine hanging out there. Just be sure the room's big enough they don't end up attacking each other.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: August 13, 2011, 09:39:09 pm »

Nope. It just makes keeping the bloody things in one place easier. It also apparently increases your FPS as there are fewer pathing calculations to do, but if that's confirmed or not I don't know.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: August 13, 2011, 10:07:03 pm »

Nope. It just makes keeping the bloody things in one place easier. It also apparently increases your FPS as there are fewer pathing calculations to do, but if that's confirmed or not I don't know.

Indeed it is, especially if you have a lot of very small pastures. It works for the same reason that chaining or pitting animals works.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: August 14, 2011, 06:49:31 am »

Hmm, good idea.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

erissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: August 14, 2011, 08:37:44 pm »

Indeed it is, especially if you have a lot of very small pastures. It works for the same reason that chaining or pitting animals works.

I usually just have a gigantic pasture overlapping my common area for my non-grazing non-butcherable animals. I keep whatever species of fowl I've chosen to breed in a second, more reasonably sized pasture with access to nest boxes.

At any rate, pastures beat pits in that cats don't feel compelled to escape them en masse at the first opportunity.
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 729