Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2117153 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5160 on: October 10, 2011, 04:02:07 pm »

Just skeletal deer :D The dead d is my poor dog... The weirdest thing is that my woodcutter managed to fend off a pack of skeletal wolves, but the deer seem to instantly kill my dorfs.

DF is funny in that way. An seasoned adventurer can fend off giant wildcats and scorpions, wandering trolls, goblin ambushes, and even boogeymen, only to have his ears torn off in open combat with a lone rabid horse. For whatever reason, Toady decided to code the system to favor large herbivores and livestock. Armok spare us the day they rise up and rebel.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: October 10, 2011, 04:24:05 pm »

Four legs good.  Two legs bad.  Four legs good.  Two legs bad.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: October 10, 2011, 04:31:15 pm »

Hooooooly shit I just made a pretty big mistake. I'd sent my c-melee squad (led by my mayor!) to practice on caged Orggg (Giant Olm, Giant rat, 3x goblin) but I forgot to take the goblins' gear. All of them were lashers. Err. Yeah. I'd rushed in a,b,d squads as well because the lashers in no time had my mayor and another Dwarf wounded and down. One of the lashers almost escaped but ran into a stray badger (which got enraged) and a war grizzly (which smacked the goblin down) and eventually died there, the others were defeated later. I had to bring seven warriors into my hospital because I forgot to take three whips. Okay, one of those was a scourge.

Also, my malevolent munchkins thought it was a good idea to spread those seven wounded over four beds. Mayor on one, another Dwarf on another bed, yet another on yet another, and the remaning four plonked together on one bed. Despite there being three, four free beds.  ::)

For whatever reason, Toady decided to code the system to favor large herbivores and livestock. Armok spare us the day they rise up and rebel.
I'd almost be inclined to say that that's realism. Any single cow can easily turn a man into a nothing but a damp red spot in the mud, if only the cow'd realize. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: October 10, 2011, 04:36:56 pm »

The combat system favours large herbivores because they're big (an adult donkey is 1/5 bigger than an adult troll) and don't suffer so much from not having their particular body type taken into account. Alligators bite you with human-proportioned teeth in a human-proportioned head attached to a human-proportioned body they can't use, which cuts down on their effectiveness somewhat.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: October 10, 2011, 05:23:25 pm »

Which is why he next ought to edit carnivores and their ilk to array themselves with a compliment of full iron armor and weapons.

Makes sense, right?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: October 10, 2011, 05:46:57 pm »

Nah, he (I assume Toady) just should give proper jaws to alligators. With recognizable characteristics properly handled by combat engine. And long necks for giraffes while he is at it. Shame no one sponsored giraffe, he would be then forced to do it, heh, heh, heh.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: October 10, 2011, 05:48:11 pm »

Making animals behave 'right' for their apparent anatomy would make the large two legged birds in warm form one hilarious string of disembowelments and enraged squawking.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: October 10, 2011, 08:28:10 pm »

Which is why he next ought to edit carnivores and their ilk to array themselves with a compliment of full iron armor and weapons.

Makes sense, right?
Er... no.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: October 10, 2011, 10:26:23 pm »

Flooded two fortresses trying to make a well because I was still learning how water pressure works.

My fiance called it dorf bath.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: October 10, 2011, 11:09:01 pm »

Flooded two fortresses trying to make a well because I was still learning how water pressure works.

My fiance called it dorf bath.

Yeah, I lost the only productive fortress I every really loved to dwarf bathing.

I recommend you use two floodgates with separate switches and a temporary reservoir between them when you fill a well reservoir, as well as the "checkered pipe" technique somewhere along the line to those two. It is also a good idea to have a section of your water pipe that goes down one level, then rises back up through a grate to prevent monsters (which cannot destroy things on a different z-axis) from coming out of your well.

Nothing worse than goblins in the tap.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: October 11, 2011, 08:56:55 am »

Fortifications also work pretty well in that regard.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: October 11, 2011, 01:07:57 pm »

One of my earliest forts went to hell because i didn't know about aquefiers. "Im just going to go ahead and put this grate in the groun-OH GOD A DWARF WAS SHOT INTO THE AIR BY THE TORRENT".
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: October 11, 2011, 03:13:31 pm »

Used a pump to bring water from the river into a higher floor (still underground) for farming. I made a slight miscalculation with the pump, it was placed but water managed to flood back through the diagonal and wash my dwarf out to alligator infested territory :/
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: October 11, 2011, 03:48:51 pm »

Creatures can still pass through fortification if the water level is 7. I learned it the practical way by using fortification instead of wall grate to cut the carpenter some slack, but the carps still went through. Then I realised the wiki mentions such.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: October 11, 2011, 06:43:12 pm »

Creatures can still pass through fortification if the water level is 7. I learned it the practical way by using fortification instead of wall grate to cut the carpenter some slack, but the carps still went through. Then I realised the wiki mentions such.

Hrm... What would happen if you trapped the trespassers in a long hall of 7/7 flooded fortifications, then drained it through a barred wall? Would the ones on and surrounded by fortifications be permanently stuck? Would just go "GLUG!" and die..?
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 729