Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2117104 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5175 on: October 11, 2011, 06:59:55 pm »

Had a face palm moment a few days ago when I went through the trouble of digging down to the magma sea for the first time in the hopes of setting up my first magma pump stack.  Then I realized I had no way of making magma safe corkscrews.  :(  So I either try again on another fort or spend the next forever trading for steel anvils to melt down...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: October 12, 2011, 12:46:36 am »

Glass is magma-safe. Also a lot cheaper and easily acquired than crap-to-melt.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5177 on: October 12, 2011, 01:16:20 am »

<wrong thread>
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:54:40 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: October 12, 2011, 02:37:23 am »

Fortifications also work pretty well in that regard.
Creatures can still pass through fortification if the water level is 7. I learned it the practical way by using fortification instead of wall grate to cut the carpenter some slack, but the carps still went through. Then I realised the wiki mentions such.

Hrm... What would happen if you trapped the trespassers in a long hall of 7/7 flooded fortifications, then drained it through a barred wall? Would the ones on and surrounded by fortifications be permanently stuck? Would just go "GLUG!" and die..?
I think they might get pushed through the fortification, but I'm not sure. Saw something like that in a fort of my brother's once, a goblin was pushed through either a wall grate or a fortification by a diverted river. And then clung on for dear life before eventually going down the drain and crashing to a bloody death in his cavern.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: October 12, 2011, 07:46:21 am »

Creatures can still pass through fortification if the water level is 7. I learned it the practical way by using fortification instead of wall grate to cut the carpenter some slack, but the carps still went through. Then I realised the wiki mentions such.
Aye, true, but grates are vulnerable to building destroyers. Likewise, designing the well with one level of open space between the well and the water should be enough to prevent carp incidents (and ice deconstruction). I suppose ideally, you'd want fortifications followed by a grate, but until we get some sort of swimming, flying building-destroyer, I don't think there's that much to worry about.

I think they might get pushed through the fortification, but I'm not sure. Saw something like that in a fort of my brother's once, a goblin was pushed through either a wall grate or a fortification by a diverted river. And then clung on for dear life before eventually going down the drain and crashing to a bloody death in his cavern.
Aye, flowing water can sometimes push things through (even if it's not 7/7).

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: October 12, 2011, 08:46:51 am »

The bastard's corpse eventually was flushed off the map, which meant I couldn't even loot it.  ::)
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: October 12, 2011, 03:46:10 pm »

I feel like a total noob right now. I Gen'd a world that has a surface volcano that's >not< a 200 z-level high magma spire. I other words, the magma is immediately available for use without complicated draining. I was so ecstatic about this embark that I forgot to set my plump helmets not to be cooked. Now I have enough prepared meals to last the winter, but after that I'm kinda screwed. The mountain home trade caravan already left and I have no other trading civs to barter food or seeds off of.

Now I have 2 options: try and forage in the caves (not a good idea: the small area I have already seen is infested with trolls and giant cave spiders) or I can try and down some elephants...with the one sworddwarf in my new fort military.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: October 12, 2011, 04:13:57 pm »

Spear and training spear - two different things in equip menu. Months wasted!!!
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: October 12, 2011, 06:36:16 pm »

The bastard's corpse eventually was flushed off the map, which meant I couldn't even loot it.  ::)
That doesn't happen, as far as I know. What does happen is that water flow pushes items around and hides them. You can see them in the stocks screen and your dwarves can interact with them, but you can't see them by examining the tile they're on. Try finding the corpse in the stocks screen, it should be there and zoomable to even if you can't see it yourself.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

UristMcDwarfy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: October 12, 2011, 08:33:02 pm »

I haven't been playing for very long, so you can imagine my excitement when I finally got a good start in the beginning.

So there I was, just beginning to get my fortress off the ground, when I start getting notifications about my dwarfs having their work interrupted. I feared it to be something bad, bad enough to endanger the entire livelihood of the fort. I pictured Boatmurdered.

I zoomed to the location to see... a deer.

I figured it wouldn't be much of a problem and unpaused the game, choosing to see how this would play out. It was just a deer, right?

This deer single-handedly stopped almost all production in my fort because it rampaged through the only hall connecting the surface to my Dwarf's workshops. It stopped them from working, pushing them aside as it rushed through the halls, and kicked my Dwarf's teeth out for crying out loud. Blood was strewn across the halls.

Quickly seeing the damage done, I rallied the dwarfs into a single squad and sent them into glorious battle, most without even a weapon.

They chased this deer for a good two minutes up and down the halls, punching, kicking, and wrestling until this thing finally collapsed from a damaged lung.

My only decent carpenter Dwarf now has two broken feet and no teeth along with other miscellaneous wounds shared by the other Dwarfs, and it's taken so long for them to kill it that they are behind on the harvest and don't have nearly enough space for the migrants flooding through.

I hate this game.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: October 12, 2011, 08:53:38 pm »

I haven't been playing for very long, so you can imagine my excitement when I finally got a good start in the beginning.

So there I was, just beginning to get my fortress off the ground, when I start getting notifications about my dwarfs having their work interrupted. I feared it to be something bad, bad enough to endanger the entire livelihood of the fort. I pictured Boatmurdered.

I zoomed to the location to see... a deer.

I figured it wouldn't be much of a problem and unpaused the game, choosing to see how this would play out. It was just a deer, right?

This deer single-handedly stopped almost all production in my fort because it rampaged through the only hall connecting the surface to my Dwarf's workshops. It stopped them from working, pushing them aside as it rushed through the halls, and kicked my Dwarf's teeth out for crying out loud. Blood was strewn across the halls.

Quickly seeing the damage done, I rallied the dwarfs into a single squad and sent them into glorious battle, most without even a weapon.

They chased this deer for a good two minutes up and down the halls, punching, kicking, and wrestling until this thing finally collapsed from a damaged lung.

My only decent carpenter Dwarf now has two broken feet and no teeth along with other miscellaneous wounds shared by the other Dwarfs, and it's taken so long for them to kill it that they are behind on the harvest and don't have nearly enough space for the migrants flooding through.

I hate this game.

It's things like this that makes keeping an eye on this thread so much worth it.  :P

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: October 12, 2011, 09:04:23 pm »

deer.

I hate this game.
I love this game.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: October 12, 2011, 10:39:07 pm »

A forgotten beast made only of flame has fried the entire second cavern level and roasted my only decent siege engineer after he knocked its square shell off (actually, his head melted. OW.). It has killed at least one other dwarf. But my hauler, who styles himself a Bone Carver (Very Rusty but Adequate), appears to be wearing asbestos XX(pig tail loin cloth)XX. He's taken four direct(?) flame blasts, and has NO WOUNDS.

WHY NOT MY SIEGE ENGINEER????
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

h.scorpio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: October 13, 2011, 03:08:24 am »

Now I have 2 options: try and forage in the caves (not a good idea: the small area I have already seen is infested with trolls and giant cave spiders) or I can try and down some elephants...with the one sworddwarf in my new fort military.

Or you could collect plants from the outside world (if you have at least some vegetation) and try some outside farming.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: October 13, 2011, 04:09:11 am »

Or just kill the trolls and the spidahs.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 729