Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2117173 times)

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5340 on: November 18, 2011, 03:17:13 pm »

Abandoned several (going well 20 hour+) adventure's due to falling in water ... soooo any way turns out you CAN climb out ... *facepalm*

Bro tip: hold alt and move toward the bank
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: November 18, 2011, 04:49:54 pm »

The vegetations in a 70 square radius died off from the radiated heat, and my dwarves all over my fortress eventually went mad from the bad thoughts from the ambiant heat.
Tantrum spiral.
Radiated heat does not exist in DF and there are no temperature-related thoughts.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SebbyTheFreak

• Bay Watcher
  • Gold for the Gold God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: November 18, 2011, 07:35:22 pm »

The vegetations in a 70 square radius died off from the radiated heat, and my dwarves all over my fortress eventually went mad from the bad thoughts from the ambiant heat.
Tantrum spiral.
Radiated heat does not exist in DF and there are no temperature-related thoughts.

Then what the hell burnt the forest? (It was "burnt grass, burnt tree, etc.) all around the place, and never anything caught fire. All the near-or-far water evaporated soon after the magma moat, and all my dwarves were unable to work any efficiently after either.

GoldenZeppelin

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Nyeh, Squidward?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: November 18, 2011, 09:44:03 pm »

My two miners are apperently in a competition to see who can murder the other fastest by channeling the ground out from below them. So far all of Urist McUnlucky's limbs are crushed.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: November 18, 2011, 10:22:05 pm »

The trade dwarfs came, and somehow they manage to go through the routine before I could get all my trade items to the depot. No imported food for me...
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: November 19, 2011, 02:18:38 am »

Tantrum spiral.

Then what the hell burnt the forest? (It was "burnt grass, burnt tree, etc.) all around the place, and never anything caught fire. All the near-or-far water evaporated soon after the magma moat, and all my dwarves were unable to work any efficiently after either.

temperature exists and can be turned on/off. Similarly, embarking in a cold or scorcing environment could cause some trouble, in both cases at least through (possible) lack of surface water
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: November 19, 2011, 09:43:16 am »

I just found out a hungry head has gotten into my mine shaft, and I order my only militia dwarf to attack it, only to find she is sleeping...
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: November 19, 2011, 12:04:09 pm »

solution: atom smasher corridor
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

UristMcFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: November 19, 2011, 12:10:26 pm »

A Roc (who named the age) wandered into my map, and got inside my fortress, I pulled the "Fuck Everything lever" (which opened the aqufier above my fortress, to try to take the beast down with me. I had no military but sent everyone to attack it to see how many the Roc would kill.

It killed none, it was killed easily, unfortunately the flood continued. Still my 2 year fort managed to end the age of "The Roc and the Forest Titan" which was cool.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: November 19, 2011, 01:30:22 pm »

Here's a great one. I built a huge magma pump stack and a aqueduct (magmaduct?) to channel magma out onto the heads of enemies who approached the front gate.

My framerate is down to 1fp5s. I finally begin to wonder if magma is really worth it if you can't do anything while you're using it.

Oh, and did I mention everything is on fire? =D Wheeeeeeeee I'm gonna die.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: November 19, 2011, 01:42:20 pm »

shit, that empties into my dining room...
 :-X
How the fuck did you manage to do that.

Very carefully?
More then likely by either not taking into account that magma can path diagonally, by originally intending the room to be used for something else before it was a cistern (maybe a waterfall attempt?)
 or just failing to finish walling it off.
Um... not quite... I had a flooding system in place, which i guess flowed with magma... wooden hatches, heh heh...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: November 21, 2011, 08:59:40 am »

Do you have a screenshot of the burnt stuff? The word doesn't appear in the string dump, and trees are alway referred to by species even when dead. The only effect magma has on anything that's not sharing its tile is to raise tile temperatures to 10075 and to burn screw pumps with non-nethercap wooden components.

I would expect a hot biome to evaporate surface water and to dry grass, but this doesn't affect trees and would happen even without any lava on the map. Conversely, a cooler biome with a volcano and lava moat wouldn't have any dry grass except perhaps on the level directly above a magma tile.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: November 21, 2011, 06:48:38 pm »

Just spent the last four hours finding the perfect embark site (a cliff with a waterfall and sedimentary layers) and laying the skeleton of my new fort concept.  Carefully laid plans involving maximum z-level dwarf action, with routes between all areas, and best of all, an interconnected system of waterfalls which fed thru the whole thing.  The first underground layer looked like a circuit board, where I fed in the river water individually to each waterfall (Im new, and was afraid of wierdness if I tried to just split flows).  Thru it all, I managed to build up the basics of dwarf society, cramming people into unfinished areas which would soon be expansive, mist filled halls for revelling and admiring the engravings of vanquished mega-beasts.   

Anyhow, after much ado, I was finally ready to dig the channels.  Mechanisms in place? Check.  Floodgates working properly? Check.  Drainage system ready and sealed?  Check.  Ok.  Dig those ditches, guys.  Two squares of channel per waterfall.  No problem.  Ok.. no... wai....WHY DID YOU JUMP INTO THE CHANNELS YOU FORKING BEARDED IDIOTS!!!!    QUICK!! ACK! RUN BACK OUT!!   What do you mean, the CURRENT is TOO STRONG!?!  ok.. ok.. dont panic.. Dig your way out.   What do you mean, you cant dig in waist deep water??  Shit!  Ok.. fuck, now you are drowning?  Ok, sorry -oops I mean, "We are going to try something. We are going to get you out. DO NOT PANIC!"

(hushed voice) "Pull the lever." 

You sure boss?  Ok.

Flood gates open.  Dwarves fall eleven z levels into a pile of broken obsidian. (seriously, of all rubble, it had to be volcanic glass).   Kinda wishing I had installed individual switches to each gate, some water *might* have broken their fall,  but hey hind-sight is 20-20, right?   Miraculously, one guy actually lived.  Id put him on traction (he has a broken everything), but we dont have any.  Hoping "Doc" can fix him up with the two pieces of cloth and the two thread I brought on embark.  Havent had much time to set up a hospital, what with all the digging going on...  We are already getting to work on his burial slab, tho, in the interests of saving time in the future. 

But man, those waterfalls are impressive! =)  Every single level, fall after fall, misty rooms...  The new immigrants love it already.  Hey, any of you guys good with a pick?

(seriously tho, its lame to have to build a wall then suspend it for something as dumb as not having the AI path into a newly dug ditch with no exits.  WTF.)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: November 22, 2011, 05:29:27 am »

welcome to the wonderful world of DF

when you make a floor cave in, make sure they dont stand on the wrong side. These guys will literally saw off the branch they are sitting on

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: November 22, 2011, 02:59:46 pm »

These guys will literally saw off the branch they are sitting on
No, they won't. Sitting on branches isn't implemented yet. They will happily remove the floor they are standing on, though, causing them to plummet 20 z-levels into magma though.
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 729