Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095645 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5370 on: November 28, 2011, 10:30:55 am »

See, that's why I play with tiles. Stupid colorblindness.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: November 28, 2011, 03:37:13 pm »

See, that's why I play with tiles. Stupid colorblindness.
In this particular case it wouldn't really matter, since elks and elephants never appear in the same biome. I'm not actually sure if there are any creatures that share a biome and also a tile.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

murdersmith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: November 29, 2011, 11:35:57 am »

Started to play a year or two back, made one or two forts learning the ropes. Fore some reason quit until now.  Yesterday got may first real fortress up and going - all is nice and I am happy.

Then the first caravan comes. I have mad a bit of trade goods, get those to the depot, form a good deal at approximate value of 5000 (finally some anvils!). Am ready to press (t), but then I notice the (o)ffer  option. Thinking that it means "offer your proposed deal for review so that the merchant does not get angry if his profit is too low", I press it... no anvils for me.

Moments later my carpenter, one of the founding seven, claims workshop and starts demanding things -
   -logs I have;
   -tanned hide I don't have, but I set up required industry and butchered my yak;
   -yarn cloth.. I was going to trade from merchant, but then just gave him all my stuff for free - don't have.

This facepalm cost me years profit and a founding member.

blake77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: November 29, 2011, 11:55:56 am »

Rob the merchants. You can either deconstruct the trade depot or seize their goods.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: November 29, 2011, 11:47:08 pm »

Had a fortress running for about 7 years, with everything going smoothly. There were about a dozen FBs running around in a cave I had blocked off so I finally decided to employ one of my patented FB traps. All was going well, everything was in place. So I go to dig the final hole to let the FBs in and the moment I do one of my dwarves darts into the cave. Two of her children mindlessly follow in after her. Too late I realized that I had left the auto-collect webs option on. I turned it off but the idiot dwarf had already made up her mind. The forgotten beasts wrath was swift and terrible.

What followed was a series of critical mistakes as I desperately tried to salvage my trap. In the end the FBs mercilessly swarmed into my fortress, slaughtering everything in their path.   :-\

runhidesurvive

• Bay Watcher
  • And let there be a moderate amount of light!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5375 on: November 30, 2011, 08:00:47 am »

i always manage to kill off a high master miner or two somehow and when i do everything grinds to a halt in my fortress, also i never seem to get farms right

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: November 30, 2011, 08:24:03 am »

Mirthful surroundings, soil, shallow and deep metals, flux, a waterfall, plenty of trees and plants. Paradise.

I find the perfect spot for what would be the most impressive fortress ever made (heh)... Trying to make a spiral ramp I screw up and my miner ends up trapped. I set my mason to mining duty and manage to collapse half the hill on top of him while clearing the entrance. He won't wake up. Several other minor facepalms later I decide to abandon and reclaim.

The perfect embarking site, tainted by my own stupidity >:(

Henrik Undrgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: November 30, 2011, 08:58:35 am »

When I realised a resetting pressure plate connected to my retracting bridge was causing it to open and close allowing goblins in to the main hallway in small groups during seiges. ::)Wont make that mistake again.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: November 30, 2011, 09:20:34 am »

Several other minorminer facepalms later I decide to abandon and reclaim.

Fixed that for ya! *ba-dum tish* ;D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: November 30, 2011, 01:19:46 pm »

Several other minorminer facepalms later I decide to abandon and reclaim.

Fixed that for ya! *ba-dum tish* ;D

Mining related puns ensues in 3... 2.. 1..

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5380 on: November 30, 2011, 01:23:24 pm »

I embarked in a new location with two woodcutters and no axe...so far lots of peeved dwarves waiting to take their turn laying on the two wood beds we've got in the sleeping area...

runhidesurvive

• Bay Watcher
  • And let there be a moderate amount of light!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: November 30, 2011, 01:33:17 pm »

I embarked in a new location with two woodcutters and no axe...so far lots of peeved dwarves waiting to take their turn laying on the two wood beds we've got in the sleeping area...
do you have any wood? you could make training axes and if you dont have wood you could dissasemble the wagon

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: November 30, 2011, 01:35:44 pm »

do you have any wood? you could make training axes and if you dont have wood you could dissasemble the wagon

Seems like he already did, built carpentry with one unit of wood, then used the other two to build beds.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5383 on: November 30, 2011, 02:05:21 pm »

Trying to make a spiral ramp I screw up and my miner ends up trapped.
Try screwing down next time.

I make a single-tile up/down staircase where the middle of the spiral would be. It allows access to all floors, gives you a point of reference, and reserves space for either a fast access path or a long shaft that can be used for something. I'm thinking a giant mist generator here, with the water being passed constantly from pump to pump and never needing to be topped up.

Also, you can get hold of the worldgen parameters and get a second go at the world, and then make a backup copy of the untouched world.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: November 30, 2011, 02:52:42 pm »

Seems like he already did, built carpentry with one unit of wood, then used the other two to build beds.

Actually it's better than that... I built carpentry with one unit of stone then used wood to build two beds and a table (because you can't build tables with stone!!!....wait for it....wait for it.....*WHAM* facepalm).

No !fun! yet but angry bored dwarves could be very !FUN! in short order.
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 729