Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2114332 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5430 on: December 10, 2011, 06:36:55 am »

My Supremme lengendary armorsmith WAS ATOMSMASHED.
Facepalm.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: December 10, 2011, 06:42:19 am »

Played with the raws and completely made a stable and civil entity.

Took a long time to gen a 'proper' world, as that entity likes good biomes (sunberries!!). Then sent in an expedition team.

Then I finally noticed in my new nobles that I forgot a manager in with all my messing around.

Hello random people in workshops.

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: December 10, 2011, 03:28:21 pm »

Derailed another thread

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, it's nice to have you back necro.

Captain Swing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: December 10, 2011, 04:38:34 pm »

I built a badass fort around a canyon. On the layer where the river was, I had a dining room exposed to the waterfall so that the dwarves were cheered up by the mist and an open-air meeting hall (from here on referred to as the O.A.M.H) over the river because I was paranoid about cave adaptation. When the river froze over, the dwarves strolled freely between the O.A.M.H and the dining room over the ice. I tried to build a fortifications around the O.A.M.H to stop this, but because I had forgotten about no-traffic areas, when the spring came...

Sploosh.

About half of my dwarves suddenly found that they had no floor above them, fell in the river and promptly drowned, starting an immense tantrum spiral that destroyed my fort. It was both the funniest and most frustrating thing ever to happen to me on Dwarf Fortress.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: December 11, 2011, 07:49:56 am »

I had a nice site on which I was going to build a large above-ground tower. I got the fort set up and into its second year, and only then realised I'd left the worldgen settings at '5 levels above ground'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: December 11, 2011, 08:48:29 am »

I had a nice site on which I was going to build a large above-ground tower. I got the fort set up and into its second year, and only then realised I'd left the worldgen settings at '5 levels above ground'.
Quote from: Surprising Revelation
left the worldgen settings at '5 levels above ground'.
Knowing only now that there is something affecting how far up you view. After building numerous above-ground forts.

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: December 11, 2011, 11:28:59 am »

i have played this game for like a year, and yesterday i finally learned how to make up/down staircases.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: December 11, 2011, 07:19:49 pm »

Was digging a hallway in an aquifer heavy embark and got the dampstone message ignored it because i thought it was just surface pools,they dig it out an all of a sudden the hallway starts billowing water.

Tried to build a wall it got overtaken by water so dug some emergency chanels across the hall just to slow it down,found out the very aquifer that was about to drown us saved us as the wall aquifer drained into the floor aquifer.

I now have my best ever fort with an eternaly draining hallway in an obscure corner.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: December 12, 2011, 05:46:45 pm »

I found a great embark site, very newb friendly, lots of minerals, huge chasm, flat heavily forested plateau cut off from the rest of the map.. the works.  So i savescummed it for practise.  Its missing a magma pipe so far, but the thing is, its not missing badgers.  Badgers, everywhere.  Enraging, latching on to my lambs, chasing and molesting the dwarven children.   Ugh.

So finally I got my head on straight and quickly knocked out all the ramps to the plateau.  Then I built a long tunnel in to the center, and stuffed it with cage traps.  At first, the badgers almost got thru, but I was lucky and they stopped just in time for me to rush out and replenish the cages.  The next wave, I had more than enough traps in place, and those badgers had no chance.  Over time, the badger tide slowly ebbed away into a mere trickle, until finally, it stopped. 

Cue the caravan.  Ive been so busy trapping badgers and chiseling out my new fort after proper specs for once, I havent made any crafts.  You know what I do have, tho? (you can see where this is going).  My army of haulers rushes into the depot with their arms bracing with over two dozen badger cages.  Which promptly get released.  It is badger mahem, in the dead center of my fort.  My "military" runs around in a panic.  The civilians run around in a panic.  In a panic, my newly arrived furnace operator dodges into the central waterfall, and careens over 15 z levels to his death.  My dwarves refuse to clear a wall to get to his corpse, and miasma is backing up and filling the lower levels of my fort.  And there are still badgers hiding in the mist. 

I am starting to have !fun! now.

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: December 12, 2011, 08:36:07 pm »

My dwarves refuse to clear a wall to get to his corpse, and miasma is backing up and filling the lower levels of my fort.  And there are still badgers hiding in the mist. 

I am starting to have !fun! now.

Saw this and had to do it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: December 12, 2011, 11:14:02 pm »

All is not lost, just dig the ground to a lower level.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: December 13, 2011, 12:30:39 pm »

Was digging a hallway in an aquifer heavy embark and got the dampstone message ignored it because i thought it was just surface pools,they dig it out an all of a sudden the hallway starts billowing water.

Tried to build a wall it got overtaken by water so dug some emergency chanels across the hall just to slow it down,found out the very aquifer that was about to drown us saved us as the wall aquifer drained into the floor aquifer.

I now have my best ever fort with an eternaly draining hallway in an obscure corner.

I once used that trick to dig out a huge area.  After 2 babies drowned, I figured out how to use grates.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: December 13, 2011, 02:21:53 pm »

Being a relative newbie to DF, I naturally became excited when I found magma, as I could finally smelt stuff. I have iron ores, but no coal.

By extension, due to having no metals, I haven't made a military.

Almost as soon as I breach the small part of cavern I need to, a Giant Crocodile decides to charge into my fortress, before I could do anything to prevent it, like remove the slopes.

Que half my dwarfs dying... until Urist Mc TradersGuard charges at the crocodile and kills it.

Here's the thing. The traders had LEFT a good five minuites of game time before. Urist Mc TradersGuard vanished right afterwards.

Unfortunetly, all the dwarves I lost were important ones. I lost my Mason and my Carpenter and my Mechanic and my brewer. Between the five dwarfves I had left, production grinded to a halt. The loss of both of my dogs didn't help things.

PijanySmok

• Bay Watcher
  • For mother Celestia, THIS IS PONYVILLE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: December 13, 2011, 08:26:35 pm »

My new fortress, just epic place where I had everything I needed. First caravan comes, I'm trading my masterpieces for food anvils and other useful stuff (bought about 50% caravan). Caravan is leaving.
*2 minutes later*
Dwarfs starved to death

OMG F****** ELVES STOLE MY ITEMS

Well don't ask I don't know how that happened but they took my crafts and the stuff I bought.

Another fortress.
Yay new fortress even more epic place.
*1minute later*
"has drowned"
My dwarf was standing on a river(ice) when spring came.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:29:25 pm by PijanySmok »
Why my pic doesn't work?

Check me or pm me there if you want something:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmokNiszczyciel

To all ponies: let's take control over the world!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: December 13, 2011, 10:56:27 pm »

Did you press 'o', or 't'? 'Offer' and 'trade' are not the same thing.

And it was probably the dwarves that stole your stuff, since they're the first caravan and elves don't carry anvils.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 729