Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095958 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5490 on: December 19, 2011, 08:49:37 pm »

I forgot to ceiling off a small section of the fortress and an FB got in and killed two dwarves. It had 18 to pick from and it got my only mechanic and only weaponsmith. >:(

If you set the popcap to something lower than 200 so that it actually gets enforced, you still should get messages about the fortress attracting no migrants, right? I haven't had any on this fortress. It occurs to me that if you discount the initial waves you get upon starting a new site, I haven't had any migrants since May. It's getting a little weird.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: December 19, 2011, 10:27:05 pm »

I designated a wide section of floor to be channeled. Of course that means 3 miners simultaneously breaching the cave into a troglodyte pit, one dwarf breaking many bones and later to add fun more guests:voracious crawler, mole dogs, a giant rat and crundles..... some bats, a troll and well that doens't matter since this fort was an axe factory...

Axe are like a penis to a dwarf!

CzarSquid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: December 19, 2011, 11:20:29 pm »

"Urist, what are you doing?"
"Building a floodgate so we can use the brook for the well"
"Where did you stick the lever for it?"
"In a corner in the same room as the well"
"Alright, its done! Let the water flow!"
"Hmm, I don't think the water is supposed to erupt out of the well"
"QUICK, THE LEVER! THE LEVER!"
"WE CAN'T REACH IT! THE WATER IS PUSHING US AWAY!"
"Who designed this fort? The whole structure is going to flood!"

...and that's how my first game ended.

ludsoe

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urst of Urstland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: December 20, 2011, 02:20:13 am »

I know how you feel.... But i had the lever in a small room surrounded by the network of water-pipes going to wells all over my fort.
Ludsoe has cancels life: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

(Reserved for more stuff)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: December 20, 2011, 02:59:13 pm »

I haven't had any migrants since May. It's getting a little weird.
Yay! Migrants! I got a High Master Mechanic and a couple of moderately-skilled weaponsmiths. A pity none of this lot like steel like my old smith did, stupid founder-chomping FB...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
« Reply #5495 on: December 20, 2011, 03:12:35 pm »

I have been building a out of the mountain wall to encircle the entrance and work for the outside needs of my dwarves. Ok, after I had built the entire wall, the second store floors, a barracks over the main gate, etc. I finally discover that, well, you can built constructions more than one tile at a time. Yes, after building a few hundred tiles with painstakingly micromanagement, I discover that I could have done that with a tenth of the work...

I still forget you can make roads in strips and do this myself, usually resulting in speccing building materials I wouldn't have chosen in my rush to get the thing laid down in 1x1 plots. I did the same thing with farms in my first fort and had to configure every square of my farm separately!
Oh, someone finally died of thirst

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: December 20, 2011, 03:34:05 pm »

pretty much my second fort
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
« Reply #5497 on: December 20, 2011, 04:53:59 pm »

Three or four games in a row without getting my squads to spar, wondering what was wrong, before realizing I figured out my first game, then later forgot, that you have to highlight each squad in the barracks you want to assign them to train in and hit 'T'
Oh, someone finally died of thirst

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: December 20, 2011, 04:56:26 pm »

Ghost picks up a raw turtle and idles inside a wall. He's put to rest, and now I have a wall "decorated" with raw turtle. :o
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: December 20, 2011, 10:29:04 pm »

A very meta moment: I was thinking about how the raws are used by DF.eve. It suddenly dawned on me: infile.

Its a C++ thing.

More on topic, I imagine I'm going to have some fun moments like this when my current megaproject is done.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: December 21, 2011, 05:26:09 pm »

I had a ramp that led over my fort walls and giving an entire goblin ambush free use of my 20 untrained and unequipped dwarves.

P.S: The rest died from a major aquifier fail. That is why I only had 20.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: December 21, 2011, 09:46:43 pm »

I was in a store today and saw a little decorative thing labelled a "mist fountain."  I thought, "Why would anyone buy that?  Oh! To make their dwarfs happy!  Oh, wait.  This is real life.  :-\ "
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Sroge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: December 22, 2011, 08:57:10 pm »

Just started playing, had my first fort going, with a small farm, livestock, various workshops, etc. when one of my miners strikes a cavern. I quickly send the miner back up and a mason down to block it off. As soon as it's finished being blocked off, I get a message saying that my expedition leader has been attacked by a giant cave spider. I freak out, and notice that half my dorfs had wandered into the caves before the mason could build walls. Eventually, they're all webbed/killed, and I abandon the fort :'(

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: December 23, 2011, 04:52:31 am »

When I died of starvation, Because I was afraid of the forgotten beast in my cavern(Where I farm). Somehow though, It had been dead for years.(I blame the amphibians)

PijanySmok

• Bay Watcher
  • For mother Celestia, THIS IS PONYVILLE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: December 23, 2011, 02:42:40 pm »

I facepalm everytime ice kills my dwarves/fortress... And always happen to me

Most epic facepalm I ever had...

I was having fun with my fortress watching how my dwarves are finishing walls... Was so happy they finally did it, after 8 dwarves have been killed by ice... Ok so they're building last walls... Oh hello Hydra... WHAT FUCK LOLO0OL BUT I HAVE ONLY 2 NOOB SOLDIERS LOLLLOOLOLOL. So I set my 2person squad to stay in the only entrance to my fortress, that haven't been finished yet. I noticed one of idiotic dwarves was not in fortress yet (burrow). Hydra has blocked the entrance, was about to enter, but WHAT this idiotic dwarf is coming! Hydra switched aggro on dwarf and was about to pewpew him. The dwarf ran by loads of traps, but the hydra wasnt trapped. Finally, hydra has pewpew'd my dwarf behind tree. I was "OMG CLOSE THESE WALLS NAO!11!". Idiotic masons (about 20 I had) didn't even think of getting close to construction site. Hydra was a few steps from them, and I had only 2 soldiers, I was "ok thxbye thanks for such good and idiotic fortress". It has biten my soldier, then stepped on a trap. I was "LOLOL RNG THANK YOU FUCKING THANK YOU". 20 seconds later: "A vile force of darkness has arrived" *ragequit*
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 04:37:49 pm by PijanySmok »
Why my pic doesn't work?

Check me or pm me there if you want something:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmokNiszczyciel

To all ponies: let's take control over the world!
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 729