Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2117275 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5700 on: February 11, 2012, 08:10:23 pm »

Urist McWeaponsmith has a Fey Mood! Happiness and excitement all around.

Lead short sword. At least when someone is struck with the flat of the blade it will hurt.

Damn, that is awful. I feel your pain man! My armorsmith got into a mood and made a soap shield :(
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Nullnostalgia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: February 11, 2012, 09:06:50 pm »

Urist McWeaponsmith has a Fey Mood! Happiness and excitement all around.

Lead short sword. At least when someone is struck with the flat of the blade it will hurt.

Damn, that is awful. I feel your pain man! My armorsmith got into a mood and made a soap shield :(

It's for waging war on dirt and grime! :awesomeface:

In all seriousness, what if that soap shield was utilized whilst fighting a FB with deadly, deadly, syndrome... in a flooded chamber? With a constant soapy bath in battle, no dwarf will die of disease!

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: February 11, 2012, 10:50:25 pm »

I had a facepalm moment.

I was building a well above ground I built walls and stairs and designated a pond the dorfs filled it to five out of seven.

It then stayed like that quite a while I eventualy noticed the dorfs (filling pond) would go to the platform round the well get the bucket then pick up water from the well and put it back in WHAAAAAT.

Turns out I had water zones only but no zone so they were just getting the closest water they couldnt reach it till it got to five.

Them dorfs are stupid,also wow bloodstones are not worth much even cut.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: February 12, 2012, 03:15:41 am »

Just crushed two dwarves and a baby because they rushed under the for atomsmasher just after I'd ordered its lever pulled.  Really should've made sure the stones being destroyed were set as forbidden...>.>

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: February 12, 2012, 11:03:41 am »

Solution for that one is to dump things in from the level above, and have the level below enclosed by walls (with optional door to rescue accidentally dumped items). That way your dwarves can't get under the atom-smasher unless they're stupid enough to dodge in from above.

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: February 12, 2012, 12:03:48 pm »

Still trying to figure out how to channel properly so water can come to lower levels (and eventually create fabulous waterfalls for the meeting areas). Proceeded to flood the entirety of Manorbell. /FACEPALM

automaticsquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: February 12, 2012, 04:40:34 pm »

improperly designated an area to be channeled the resulting cave in lost me 1 legendary miner and got the other lost in a cave so long that when he came back he went berserk using his steel pick and incredible skill to murder a ton of dwarfs. this of course led to the spiral that ended my fort.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: February 12, 2012, 06:10:10 pm »

Spent 50+ minutes carefully matching skills to dwarves at embark window... and forgot to bring items
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: February 12, 2012, 08:05:04 pm »

Embarked on a lovely flat plain with a huge-ass river running straight through the centre - I was going to make a massive, sprawling city devoted to trade. It had clay, sand, no aquifer, plenty of water - in other words, my perfect site.

Then I discovered why nobody else had come here before; pack of badgers on one side, pack of skeletal badgers on the other, river between me and safety.

Everyone died.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: February 12, 2012, 11:47:08 pm »

Embarked on a lovely flat plain with a huge-ass river running straight through the centre - I was going to make a massive, sprawling city devoted to trade. It had clay, sand, no aquifer, plenty of water - in other words, my perfect site.

Then I discovered why nobody else had come here before; pack of badgers on one side, pack of skeletal badgers on the other, river between me and safety.

Everyone died.

Had a good bit of fun then I take it?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: February 12, 2012, 11:48:31 pm »

Well, no. It wasn't that fun, sadly - I like the Fun Fairy to visit me just a little bit later in my fortress' life.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: February 12, 2012, 11:56:13 pm »

Well, no. It wasn't that fun, sadly - I like the Fun Fairy to visit me just a little bit later in my fortress' life.

Fair enough. Sounds like it would've been a great place regardless, if it were, y'know. Sans the angry balls of fur, hate, and skeleton.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: February 13, 2012, 04:55:18 am »

I embarked on a terrifying biome. Built up defenses and a couple of founder militia. They drove off those gargoyles and Ogres with the power of copper.

Then I began digging a few z-levels in, making stairs to find some metals for forging (already set up for my nice above-ground fort).

Then I breached the caverns. Not long after that (Start of Autumn, First year), and FB trudges in with it's...poison.

It massacred my 15 dwarves.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: February 13, 2012, 05:02:43 am »

Embarking on a volcano in the middle of a tundra, and playing for 3 years, during which much of my time was building up in preparation for Goblins to come attack me...before I bothered to check and see that there are, in fact, no Goblin civilizations in this world, or at least not any near enough to bother me. So much work preparing for goblins to come...all for nothing.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: February 13, 2012, 05:53:18 am »

Embarking on a volcano in the middle of a tundra, and playing for 3 years, during which much of my time was building up in preparation for Goblins to come attack me...before I bothered to check and see that there are, in fact, no Goblin civilizations in this world, or at least not any near enough to bother me. So much work preparing for goblins to come...all for nothing.

war with humans and pointy-ears
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 729