Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2117158 times)

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6165 on: April 19, 2012, 05:57:04 am »

I have dug out four spires worth of adamantine, carefully keeping the clowns on their own side, and was working on my fifth when I got a 'warm stone' warning. I figured it was just magma, so I planned to channel from above and let the magma safely dissipate. Then I was distracted by the arrival of a goblin siege, so I couldn't supervise the channeling operation.

So I activate the 'Red Alert' alert, calling all civvies in behind the doors, and watch as goblins and trolls variously slice, dice and skewer themselves on my plethora of traps. Suddenly I see a notification that a child has been killed. "What?" I say, and check the combat reports. At the top of the list, 'Devil of Cinders.'

Yeah, turns out the stone was warm because of a bunch of demons on the other side of it.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: April 19, 2012, 08:43:50 am »

Yeah, turns out the stone was warm because of a bunch of demons on the other side of it.

We should start posting signs along the spires reading

"When in doubt,
don't mine out"

similar to the signs on Hawai'i beaches... maybe with some tentacled horror maiming dwarves or stuff...
On the other hand: I did find out about HFS the hard way, made my day watching Demon hordes eat the Dwarves for elevensies.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: April 19, 2012, 09:13:18 am »

I found out about hfs the fun way, making hatches and tossing cats and ogres/cyclops down their LOL.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: April 19, 2012, 04:06:49 pm »

Low value furniture-artifacts are good.  You can use them as practical furniture that is indestructible (best hatch ever), and they won't skyrocket your fortress value and leave you unprepared for a massive goblin horde (or immigrant horde).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: April 20, 2012, 04:50:17 pm »

Recently, I decided to mark out multiple layers of my Dwarven particle accelerator for channelling simultaneously.

Ten seconds later one of my miners was down with multiple broken bones. Luckily, my other miner was able to dig a path to survival.

Less luckily, my other miner fell thirty seconds later and broke several of HIS bones. And a lung. Somehow.

Note to self: don't do that again.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

brennenderopa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: April 20, 2012, 05:27:05 pm »

My Roc training program failed so miserably. First I tried to pit the Roc against a normal Goblin. Apparently that copper sword was too hardcore and he died miserably. Then I savescummed, dangerroomed the Roc to uber legendary fighter level. In the arena he took down a minotaur, a giantess (with a wierd fps drop from 45 into the single digits) and several goblins. Then he encountered the lasher. A normal lasher. With an ({iron whip}). He lashed the beast into the head with his ({iron whip}), bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain.
In memory of Slalsto Dastbuslobo Otbuuse (what does that even mean?) / Born 173 / Went missing in the year 449 / Slayer of the Giantess Luth Flypride / Devoted father
okguy.jpg

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: April 20, 2012, 08:08:32 pm »

Lost a citizen to a gap in my cavern seals.  Apparently up/down stairs that breach the caverns allow flying forgotten beasts to fly up and out of the caverns.  Who'd have guessed?  Anyway, cue a fight breaking out, someone dodging down into the caverns and breaking his spine, and me spending the next 10 minutes frantically searching for the break in my defenses while the militia deals with the FB
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: April 21, 2012, 02:41:50 pm »

My Roc training program failed so miserably.-snip- Then he encountered the lasher. A normal lasher. With an ({iron whip}). He lashed the beast into the head with his ({iron whip}), bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain.
In memory of Slalsto Dastbuslobo Otbuuse (what does that even mean?) / Born 173 / Went missing in the year 449 / Slayer of the Giantess Luth Flypride / Devoted father
okguy.jpg

well, whip regularly kill dwarfs wearing a steel helmet, what did you expect. Also, the roc might have been quite young.

The closest I got for the name was in goblin: Slalsto LilacRoot HoaryTwig
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: April 22, 2012, 12:34:55 am »

Okay, turns out buiulding a lot of constructions out of the same kind of stone youi intend to build your trade depot on is a bad idea. Especially if you then go on to designate a lot more constructions and the dorfs forget all about your refuse stockpile roof for three years or so.
--> a phyllite boulder intended for the roof is stuck on the depot construction site for the entire time
--> no trade depot for you!

*facepalm*  :-[
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: April 22, 2012, 05:28:58 am »

The last migrant wave had a migrant in it with the hunting labor enabled, and I didn't notice until it was too late.

He sneaked off into the caverns and killed a draltha, this I noticed by coincidence. 90% of my embark is terrifying, and it's a matter of time before it will be raised from the dead. So I rush my military in to try and contain the situation, hoping that the body can be dragged to non cursed territory in time. The Draltha is raised from the dead just when my first soldiers (a couple of recruits) arrive, they are immediately chopped to bits and raised as new undead. The four of them slaughter the rest of the nearby draltha herd and it all goes downhill from there. They are adding a group of troglodites to their ranks as I type this. I've closed of this level of the caverns for now, and have retreated my military. The problem is that this level has the only water source (a small lake) on the entire (freezing) map, and I now have a large number of injured soldiers.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 05:32:03 am by Bralbaard »

brennenderopa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: April 22, 2012, 01:56:00 pm »

My Roc training program failed so miserably.-snip- Then he encountered the lasher. A normal lasher. With an ({iron whip}). He lashed the beast into the head with his ({iron whip}), bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain.
okguy.jpg

well, whip regularly kill dwarfs wearing a steel helmet, what did you expect. Also, the roc might have been quite young.

The closest I got for the name was in goblin: Slalsto LilacRoot HoaryTwig

So the goblins name the creatures? Interesting. No, he was nearly 300 years old and could kill a giantess and a minotaur without taking a scratch. I didn't realize the goblin was a lasher, I simply pitted the roc against random creatures I caught in cagetraps. He obliterated everything from minotaurs to giants without a single scratch. Those whips are simply too deadly, you just can't face them in close combat. I have them exterminated with extreme prejudice and a few crossbow bolts.

EpsilonSigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: April 22, 2012, 02:11:58 pm »

I just accidentally wiped out a goblin invasion with my catapult battery (I think there's around 30 all on 'fire at will'). I was busy building things and got the alert, quickly rushed up about 100 Z-level to greet the invasion and found 40 or so dead goblins splattered across a valley.

Not exactly the biggest invasion in the game's arsenal, but considering that's only the second non-ambush attack I've had I was mildly disappointed that the goblins didn't decide to exact a cruel and entertaining amount of Fun upon my super-productive fortress.

Earlier today I also managed to get a magma pump working (at last :D) and somehow pumped most of a small lake of it into my main food stockpile. -16000 foods, -1 dwarf, -a lot of valuable soil space :(

DeepBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: April 22, 2012, 05:13:53 pm »

When I trade, I usually select all my stuff I know I want to get rid off (read: crafts) first, so I have a rough budget of what I can afford. I did this today, about 7k worth (my 2nd caravan), and then I accidentially hit t. No idea why. But I traded all my shit for a single deer in a willow cage.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: April 22, 2012, 08:19:10 pm »

So the goblins name the creatures?
I thing FB and (semi)megabeasts are named in goblin. I tried dwarven first, no result, then I noticed the first name and remembered some goblins having that name.
Seems logical though that an evil race language would be used to name those monsters.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: April 22, 2012, 10:02:21 pm »

So apparently magma bathing a water-composed FB obsidianizes it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 729