Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2117269 times)

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6180 on: April 23, 2012, 12:41:18 am »

Cheese thread. From a Cheese man, in a mirthful location, in my Flora n Fauna mod location.

Which I didn't realise was there until I got the notification 'Urist has cancelled store item in stockpile: webbed'. >.<
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6181 on: April 23, 2012, 07:18:44 am »

sounds yummie
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6182 on: April 23, 2012, 07:37:02 am »

I embarked to waterfall location - I was lucky enough that two trees blocked worst path and so wall blocking it off completelly was painless to build.

Fast forward fort falling to siege, being succesfully reclaimed.

Then I needed trees. So I designated all of aboveground to be cut.

Two trees blocking waterfall-path-of-death were cut down and woodcutter to to the other end to cut down some more trees. Cue in march of death of dwarves trying to bring logs to stockpile.

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: April 23, 2012, 10:23:13 am »

I had 5 legendary hammer dwarves, The 5 Hammers (if only you could set unit names!), and I found some Adamantium so I decided to make them all Adamantium hammers and shields as their uniforms. Over the years (yes years!) I noticed how tough some of the FB fights were and how my weirdo hammer dwarfs kept resorting to biting and hitting the FB with their crossbows.

Eventually I had this incident where two FBs made it to my deep caverns base camp at the same time, one was intercepted by the 3 remaining Hammers and their new palls, the other ran straight into my war dog kennel. Basically the dogs tore their one apart while the Hammers took ages to finish off theirs.

Turns out that as Adamantium is so light it makes an awful choice for crushing weapons as it has no mass. I basically had given them the equivalent of wiffle bats to fight with. When I realised it made me think of that bit in Shaun of the Dead when they were trying to beat that zombie to death with pool cues to the tune of Queen - Don't Stop Me Now. Video made me LOL http://youtu.be/SnTR-cG5W1I
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:42:01 am by SAFry »

Blackadder

• Bay Watcher
  • Ask about our insanely low rate on !FUN! insurance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: April 23, 2012, 10:28:13 am »

This. He just walks up and punches him, and this happens on the first hit.
Urist McWrestler: "Hmm, maybe if I bite his ear with my front top teeth, bite his foot with my front bottom teeth, and bite his right hand with my back bottom teeth, I can easily win this fight!"
It's not a real PARTY until the queen has a baby, picks it up, kills two goblins by punching THROUGH THE SKULL with her remaining hand, and then finishes off half a barrel of fungus wine while still nursing.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: April 23, 2012, 11:31:48 am »

Hahaha.

Metalcrafter. Secretive mood. Likes scepters. Nice. He ignores the normal forge, preferring instead to descend into the black heart of my vault and work Armok's Gift into a supremely glorious artifact on the Golden Anvil Tamefamine! Praise be to Armok! What metals will your loyal servant use?

We have Platinum. Gold. Electrum. Silver. Fine Pewter. Black bronze, bismuth bronze, steel, iron, bronze, copper, billon, lay pewter, lead, zinc, nickel, the choice is yours!

What. You're not getting anything.

Likes Pig Iron.

Make Pig Iron.

She rushes off. Up the stairs out of the vault, through the maze, past the dining halls, up 4 levels, into the stockpile and back.

I can't even try to planepack this because her route takes ages!

This had better be the awesomest Pig Iron scepter ever or I swear to all the gods of brutality and bloodshed I will brain you with it. You need it.

edit: not bad. Kinda cool. Heavier than I expected. Weighs more than a black bronze morningstar or the artifact birchen cabinet.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:49:54 pm by AWdeV »
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: April 23, 2012, 03:27:17 pm »

Digging out a Dwarven particle accelerator in my latest fort, I accidentally hit 'dig downward staircase' instead of 'channel'. This would have been merely inconvenient if I hadn't then foolishly dug out a square under the staircase in the middle of the room (although I managed to get *most* of it channelled out properly).

Naturally, the miner who ended up bleeding out was friends with all of my starting seven, although the red arrows seem to have calmed down for now.

To honour his sacrifice, I've put him under the other dug-out staircase, which was next to a wall so it didn't fall down when I dug it out, and have constructed a menacing spike to sit on a platform one level above. Every goblin to get skewered on the spikes will be a sacrifice to my first casualty.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

CarpeDiem

• Bay Watcher
  • I just love Dwarves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6187 on: April 23, 2012, 08:39:50 pm »

Umm, +baby roast+ anyone?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6188 on: April 23, 2012, 10:04:13 pm »

Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: April 24, 2012, 01:34:18 am »

you know dwarfs are a bit weird, then you find that...
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6190 on: April 24, 2012, 06:00:53 am »

I had some fun with magma again. I was filling my magma corridors under my new magmaforge (pretty close to surface since it was an volcano embark) and noticed that they didnt seem to be filling up. Initially I didn't pay much attention to it but soon I noticed that something strange was going on and then I remembered that I opened a hole in the corridor wall to let my incompetent mason McTrapped out and forgot to fix it. All the magma had flown down my main staircase and flooded multiple levels (hospital, catacombs, noble quarters..). Well, I didn't lose many dwarves so I just pulled the lever to close the magmaflow but.. nothing happened. Seems like my floodgates were not magma-safe (instead I had built magma-safe aquaducts right next to it.. )

Luckily I had build 4 waterwalls around my main staircase that I used to fill my qistern. I started pumping water (and ended up flushing a screaming liaison and 4 cats plummeting down 13 levels) and managed to save the topmost flooded level. I somehow got it contained though I lost half of my rather large fort.

A few years after I started the water flow again and ended up flooding my meeting hall. Turns out that while I had mined/channeled out all the obsidian walls I had missed one floor on top of an obsidian wall.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:06:10 am by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6191 on: April 24, 2012, 06:23:30 am »

mechanisms in objects relating to magma also need to be magma safe

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6192 on: April 24, 2012, 07:19:36 am »

"Welp, looks like I need to go fell me some cave trees. What's the worst thing that could be lurking in there, anyway?"

*ka-GCS*

Seriously, it was like the damn thing was just waiting down there, just beyond my line of sight, for the hapless fool who would puncture the cavern wall. Are Giant Cave Spiders supposed to be psychic?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6193 on: April 24, 2012, 03:11:52 pm »

how is the well dry?

WE ARE RIGHT OVER THE FUCKING AQUIFER
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6194 on: April 24, 2012, 03:54:03 pm »

Looked away from my fort for a few minutes, and came back to find my poor hapless dwarves being butchered by giant keas.

Ouch.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 729