Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2117123 times)

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6210 on: April 27, 2012, 11:49:08 pm »

This just happened five minutes ago.

I send Urist McLeverpuller to test my bridge.  All goes well with the pull and he responded very quickly.  Then he went for a drink...

It (the bridge) decided to pull up at the moment he stepped on the base. I looked for the body but he seemed to be wiped from existence,  and he was my most valuable idiot dwarf.  This doesn't seem bad,  except for the fact that I accidentally made the distance from the lever the exact distance it needed to not be.  I was fully prepared for that Urist to have a broken spine with crippling injuries,  and he just goes *poof*.

Stupid Dwarves... can't even prevent themselves from demolecularization...

EDIT:  I also locked myself out of the fort...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:50:59 pm by Revanchist »
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: April 27, 2012, 11:58:58 pm »

Oh, hey, here's one from the wayback machine.

The day I upgraded my computer from an ancient Celeron D to the AMD 1090T Six core. I also went from 1GB RAM to 8. (Apparently, the biggest impact on my speed was the extreme cache upgrade.) Also, my FPS on my carefully selected, excessive item culled, no moving water or magma, anti-fps drain 2x2 map went from ~16 to over 200,000. The siege that hit me right after I loaded the save lasted less than a second, and I lost 190 dorfs. My reaction?

O_O OMFGWAT?

Then I remembered that I had the FPS uncapped.

*facepalm*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

FlickerFly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: April 28, 2012, 01:09:03 am »

I decide to try out kobold camp.
After a couple of tries, I get a nice stable dirt-fort.
A large ambush of elvish spearmen comes over.
I close the door.
Then the merchants which were in the fort at the time decide to leave, opening the doors.
They come in, slaughtering my puny kobolds.
I am in another part of the fort at the time, and decide that some must have been caught outside.
By the time I figured out what was happening, I was pretty much doomed.

Also, on my first ever fortress (I'm new) I forgot to build a farm.
If I were you, I'd do exactly the same thing as you would, because I'd be you.
</inactivity>

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: April 28, 2012, 01:11:20 am »

I decide to try out kobold camp.
After a couple of tries, I get a nice stable dirt-fort.
A large ambush of elvish spearmen comes over.
I close the door.
Then the merchants which were in the fort at the time decide to leave, opening the doors.
They come in, slaughtering my puny kobolds.
I am in another part of the fort at the time, and decide that some must have been caught outside.
By the time I figured out what was happening, I was pretty much doomed.

Also, on my first ever fortress (I'm new) I forgot to build a farm.

Welcome to the kobold-family, we embrace you in open arms.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: April 28, 2012, 03:53:44 am »

First ambush of this fortress. A bunch of spears and a bowgoblin. My militia is clad in steel, melee dwarfs with two mail coats, a breastplate and two cloaks. Apparently it's cardboard. Especially the bowgoblin lays about him. Including my sheriff/militia commander who was charging as the bowgob was torturing a swordsdwarf. The bowgoblin turned, loosed one arrow which pierced two cloaks, a breastplate and two mail shirts to tear the middle spine nervous tissue. The MCom fell at the goblin's feet.

The hell am I even making steel armour for? Just to slow them down?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:03:03 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: April 28, 2012, 06:53:03 am »

yes, archers are over powered
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: April 28, 2012, 09:37:17 pm »

I set my crafters to make stone crafts, mugs and cabochons to trade to the elven caravan. Totally clogged up my stockpiles, and was praying for the day I could dump it for loads of plants, booze, cloth and exotic animals.

Turns out this world only has dwarves and kobolds.

. . .

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: April 29, 2012, 02:04:49 am »

Urist McMedicalDwarf keeps using adamantine thread to suture wounded soldiers.  One soldier had 6 adamantine sutures in him, literally making him the 6 million dollar  man dwarf.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: April 29, 2012, 03:35:41 am »

Our broker took a bath in infernal ash. She promptly exploded into a mess.

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: April 29, 2012, 09:43:08 pm »

I'm starting to think this militia vamps vs. web shooting demon battle with no foreseeable end that lasted for four years is starting to make my dwarves unhappy. I don't know, but I'm not releasing those soon to be berserk dwarves from eternal captivity anytime soon.

EDIT: One of the dwarves went mad, they escaped, and they hate cats. That noble man just ended the catsplosion with his epic military skills.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:22:11 pm by MrButtchicker »

CandyOreVein

• Bay Watcher
  • [RELEASESCLOWNS_TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: April 30, 2012, 12:13:42 am »

"Urist McFails cancles collect webs. Webbed."  *FACEPALM

There is no words to express the fail this dwarf has set upon my fort. I burned him alive in magma. I then cycled the meat of that dwarf into the local dwarven syrip roast supply.
Urist McNeedsToPullLever cancles pull lever. Enemy we where trying to keep out scared him.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: April 30, 2012, 12:32:19 am »

Oh, hey, here's one from the wayback machine.

The day I upgraded my computer from an ancient Celeron D to the AMD 1090T Six core. I also went from 1GB RAM to 8. (Apparently, the biggest impact on my speed was the extreme cache upgrade.) Also, my FPS on my carefully selected, excessive item culled, no moving water or magma, anti-fps drain 2x2 map went from ~16 to over 200,000. The siege that hit me right after I loaded the save lasted less than a second, and I lost 190 dorfs. My reaction?

O_O OMFGWAT?

Then I remembered that I had the FPS uncapped.

*facepalm*

I wish this would happen to me. I've got a fort of 50 dwarves, and I'm lucky if my FPS gets above 40, despite 4GB RAM. Of course, I'm in the middle of a megaproject, which might affect things somewhat...

Which brings me to my facepalm. I'm working with very limited stone resources, and trying to build a huge stone disk on top of a pillar overlooking a volcano. There's a pump stack set up in the middle of this pillar. I spend about a year in game, and about 10 hours out of game setting everything up when I realise that granite is not in fact magma safe.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: April 30, 2012, 02:36:34 am »

Remember, I went from a (now) 8 year old intel Celeron D to an AMD 1090T six core. Everything saw massive speed increases.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: April 30, 2012, 02:56:36 am »

yes, archers are over powered
I particularly like how elite archers shoot accurately through fortifications that are 10 tiles away. I was so baffled when I first saw they do that, I was certain that I had forgotten to build fortifications in the first place.

Also, @TSTwizby: your signature's a little off, the first line seems to be misquoted to Sabreur instead of simonthedwarf.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: April 30, 2012, 02:59:46 am »

...you're right. Not sure how that happened. Thanks.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 729