Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2117203 times)

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6225 on: April 30, 2012, 03:23:38 am »

yes, archers are over powered
I particularly like how elite archers shoot accurately through fortifications that are 10 tiles away. I was so baffled when I first saw they do that, I was certain that I had forgotten to build fortifications in the first place.

Also, @TSTwizby: your signature's a little off, the first line seems to be misquoted to Sabreur instead of simonthedwarf.

Well they can if they are skilled enough - so can your dwarfs... but yeah I hate that too. let em at least get a penalty and not ignore the defenses completely!

I dont care how good you are - 10 decent Marksdwarfs fully armored, with iron Bolts, behind fortifications one z-level up, firing down at a single (Master)-Bowgoblin. Falling one by one to the bastard, and whats even worse - u cannot help 'em because everybody going up into the fortifications is shot the instant he putting his head through the hatch...

Legolas the Goblin???

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: May 01, 2012, 01:26:02 am »

First one: Temporary dirt fort, just finished the stone fort 60z lower, between the 2 cavern layers. I delete my meeting zone, add a meeting hall in my new legendary dining room. The moment everyone gets down there...

THE DEAD WALK.

The facepalm? I hadn't moved the lever yet. 60z to climb, and twice as far to walk to get around the cavern to the lever to lock up the fort. They made it in.

Second one: No military yet, only a dozen dwarves. THE DEAD WALK. Lock down the fort, start pumping out traps and whatnot to try and create a hall to kill them all off and reclaim the surface before the caravan arrives. After a minute, I realize, no FPS drop. Check the u-menu...

5 zombies. Total. <<Enemy facepalm.

I send out my 6 miners. They kill 2 one at a time. Then the other 3 mob mine one at a time. <<My facepalm.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

CandyOreVein

• Bay Watcher
  • [RELEASESCLOWNS_TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: May 01, 2012, 03:11:25 am »

Yeah miners are great fighters bait for FBs.
Urist McNeedsToPullLever cancles pull lever. Enemy we where trying to keep out scared him.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: May 02, 2012, 04:44:38 am »

Hm, I had a similar Problem - 19 Dwarfs (5 children) Fort not yet secured  - I was in a desert bionome an wanted to secure my food/booze supply. In general a Great site with Flux, Gold, Iron...

I m getting my defenses ready, complaining about the slow work of my masons, when the Message strikes - THE DEAD WALK -

I panic setting burrows, trying to wall off my entrance, when I realize its just ONE human zombie...

"No Problem" I say - sending my woodcutter, hunter and miners in for the kill... they have just reached the surface, when all of a sudden my refuse Stockpile comes to life - damn Necro

FACE PALM - my Fort is overrun by dead camels and ravens...

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: May 02, 2012, 11:49:51 am »

I was training my militia in danger rooms again and a few months later I noticed that my militia commander was throwing a tantrum. (luckily the angry hammerlord clad in steel didn't wander to the living quarters.) Naturally I checked what was going on and noticed something strange in the dangerrooms surrounding the one he was using.

They were filled with kitten blood and dead cats or atleast what remains of them. (and 3 bloody dwarves sparring atop the traps :P ) It turns out that the hammerlord (ironically named Catten Basementmurders, the ultimate depression of the angels) loved cats for their aloofness and had been adopted by 43 little furballs which had one by one followed him to the traps. Atleast it explains why there had been a pack of cats following my squads every now and then.

After that I learned my lesson and began making every door near the darn place tightly closed. (But on the plus side, he doesn't really care about anything anymore.)
Edit: And now he died a few years later at the ripe age of 163.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:55:38 am by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

karloss99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: May 02, 2012, 01:45:54 pm »

I send my militia commander to kill a horse.
She has killed 5 enemies so far, including a kobold thief.

She did not take that kick to the head so good...  :o

oh well...

Hey Urist McUseless you have been promoted to militia commander. Congratulations!

(note - my fort is a reclaim and has a military of 1. That alone is a facepalm on own right.)

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: May 02, 2012, 03:57:41 pm »

Backed up my region to take a peek into legends mode. Messed it up and subsequently erased one legendary hero and at least a decade worth of history from Zillithur   :(
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: May 02, 2012, 04:20:27 pm »

I set my GCS to stand up on a wall and shoot web down upon the goblins so they could not run when their ambush failed.  Unfortunately I didn't realize it had webbed a few stonefall traps.  5 haulers in the hospital later, I have moved the GCS to a different part of the ramparts.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: May 02, 2012, 08:34:06 pm »

I set my GCS to stand up on a wall and shoot web down upon the goblins so they could not run when their ambush failed.  Unfortunately I didn't realize it had webbed a few stonefall traps.  5 haulers in the hospital later, I have moved the GCS to a different part of the ramparts.

Hmm, that is actually be a good way to train doctors.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: May 02, 2012, 11:17:45 pm »

Okay, I gen a world. I look for an interesting dwarven civ with a normal monarch.

I find one and began scanning through legends with legends viewer and I find very interesting history.

A war with the elves. I embark with the sole goal of smothering the last city of elves in that civ. Almost every dwarf that comes to my civ has at least one elf on their kill list. A few have grizzly bears on their kill lists to boot.

I set up fortress and everything is okay for the first year. My first moody dwarf begins his construction after a single rock. But then I notice that I'm lacking in food due to the sudden super migration wave that I forgot to account for.

I send dwarves outside to hunt. There is a massive population of ravens in the area to kill off and one big old black bear.

That moment. CURSE ALL FRIENDS OF NATURE!

Oh shoot! Oh shoot! I forgot about them! And there are a bunch of dwarves outside. (Most of them are gathering wood.)

Just as I start to panic. Artifact is done. A gneiss mechanism, Mukarlir. Somewhat useful, what's the name mean?  :-\ "The Sad Climax"

DF just gave me its equivalent to a "screw you" didn't it? Either way, I managed to salvage the situation and caught a couple of the elves in cages. I also flipped one with the bridge, but he didn't even get a scratch. However, he hightailed it to the edge of the map afterwards.

"The Sad Climax" my hairy dwarf chin! This is only the first act, you tree-hugging hippies!
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: May 03, 2012, 12:33:02 am »

I'm pretty sure webbed stonefall traps are going to be a permanent feature of the medical training system in DF now
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: May 03, 2012, 12:59:58 am »

Also, on my first ever fortress (I'm new) I forgot to build a farm.
Happens.

After learning to start with building the farms, I forgot to turn off cooking for plants --> seeds got destroyed --> ‼Fun‼ ensued.  :-[
(This was before ver 0.34. I think cooking seed-bearing stuff is forbidden by default now.)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: May 03, 2012, 06:50:32 am »

Also, on my first ever fortress (I'm new) I forgot to build a farm.
Happens.

After learning to start with building the farms, I forgot to turn off cooking for plants --> seeds got destroyed --> ‼Fun‼ ensued.  :-[
(This was before ver 0.34. I think cooking seed-bearing stuff is forbidden by default now.)

Nope :) It's still active at least for plump helmets.
As is Booze.

Ever cooked your whole booze stockpile without noticing ?

KaraMong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: May 03, 2012, 09:40:42 am »

Just had a Fire-breathing FB sneak into my fortress and burn down over 40 dwarves plus the human caravan on the trade depot. All this because i forgot to seal the stairwell that leads to the caverns...

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: May 03, 2012, 05:16:16 pm »

In year 2 of my fort when I start setting up weapon traps with silver serrated discs (mainly for the wealth).  I was looking across the surface when I see some Giant Desert Scorpions.  I get super excited hoping they wonder into my cage traps.  Nope they beeline it towards the weapon traps and get torn to shreds.

These were the first GDS I have ever seen, 3rd or 4th fort on a savage desert biome.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:52:04 pm by Bartinyou »
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 729