Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2136746 times)

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6240 on: May 03, 2012, 08:13:19 pm »

Just had a Fire-breathing FB sneak into my fortress and burn down over 40 dwarves plus the human caravan on the trade depot. All this because i forgot to seal the stairwell that leads to the caverns...

This happened to me once, but I lost about 200. Who'd have thought a closed door wouldn't hold back a fire-breathing kangaroo?
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: May 04, 2012, 03:07:00 am »

Not really my own stupidity, but it elicited a mental facepalm...

Legendary+5 stonecrafter gets a fey mood. Crafts a 61,500 urist marble crown.

Waste of a mood...
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: May 04, 2012, 05:19:13 am »

I just found out that armor decays if left in a stockpile that also accepts refuse.

Luckily I only hadn't gotten into steel or adamantine industry yet, but still...
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: May 04, 2012, 10:02:29 am »

dodge-pit trap might be too strongly trapped. Of the 6 test subjects to enter there, a total of 0 dodged anywhere. The rest died on the traps that also refuse to get jammed. Very succesfull, but not how I hoped it would be. rerunning design...
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: May 04, 2012, 01:48:49 pm »

I just realised you can press "x" in the in the menu for building furniture to expand the list and select individual items, rather than just by material.

So much time wasted not knowing I could do that.  :P
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: May 04, 2012, 06:24:45 pm »

i wish i could go out glorious like you guys :(

im dying of thirst :'(
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: May 04, 2012, 06:56:24 pm »

My adventurer, a legendary swordsman, killer of titans and dragons, was on her way to kill yet another mountain titan... When she was confronted by a river. No big deal, right? She's practacally an olympic swimmer.

As soon as she entered the river, a giant sponge attacked her. In her head. Needless to say, she died. Instantly.

She was fully clad in steel that took a very long time to procure, too.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: May 04, 2012, 08:39:57 pm »

This is an old one, but back when I had just started, I heard so many great things about those "atom smashers" and just had to try one for myself. So I built a bridge, linked it up to a lever, and then q-a-P-r.

Of course, I didn't know that you had to make it a raising bridge, so it just retracted a whole bunch. All the rocks were flying around everywhere.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: May 05, 2012, 02:38:53 am »

I facepalmed on behalf of the FB that managed to kill itself by swimming around in a pond that it was filling with its own toxic secretions...
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: May 05, 2012, 09:13:53 am »

I was playing with Masterwork DF as an frost giant adventurer. All was going good, had killed werewolves, became a geomancer, and now I was on my way to kill a dragon. I was excited, since it was the first time I did so well. I get to the cave and instakill the dragon throwing my slade shield (It hit his head). I gather up the loot, and see there's a human town to the north. I'm travelling there when a GDS ambushes me. I kill it quite easily, using my geomancer powers. I try to fast-travel but it says "You don't feel safe enough to travel". I decided to just walk the rest of the way, when I suddenly see I'm melting. I then realize the area where I was was called "The Sands of Emptiness". I try to find a lake or murky pool, but fail and promptly melt to death.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: May 05, 2012, 02:48:23 pm »

+1 socks
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: May 05, 2012, 05:29:35 pm »

Checking out my fort in Stonesense. One of my dwarves is wearing only a pair of bright red socks and a pair of sandals. His thoughts says he is pretty okay with being otherwise naked.

I looked at his quirks. He loves to defy convention, obviously. He is modest, obviously not.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Gutierrez

• Bay Watcher
  • Hauling Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: May 05, 2012, 11:24:43 pm »

So the fortress celebrates Goblin Christmas and I get a few injuries on some good solders and a legendary armorer that somehow missed my burrowing.  The get taken to the hospital, no problem.  Except Goblin Christmas came in Winter.  All the ponds are frozen, so no way to wash them or offer them water from above.  The miners say it's not a problem they'll just cut through into the cave and we can make a well...  Guess what notification I forgot?  Right after they punch through what decides to say 'Hi' via syndrome dust and the ability to fly right up the well shaft right before it's finished? A forgotten beast.  Who dusts my crossbowmen in the stair shaft goes right up into the dorms right before dying.  Miasma pouring dwarf-puddles everywhere.

Yeah, you'd think I'd remember the FB announce...

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: May 06, 2012, 06:27:24 am »

i had this idea for a forts defence where the entrance to the fort is a long trench with a ballista battery and ending one z-level below.

\__________________________                Balistae
                                            \_________Door

the idea was to force invaders to run throug ballistae fire to reach my door where my meeledwarves would be waiting with markdwarves near the ballistae to suport them. shortly after i had everithing set up and a military a twoheaded giant comes and i set everything up. the giant enters the trench and i pause give my fisherdwarves/"siege operators" the order to fire, looked at the giant and unpaused. when i saw no projectiles flying i paused again and looked at my ballistaes and i saw that they had fired. i was like wtf but then i noticed the dead markdwarves. the only two casualties from this encounter were from friendly fire.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:12:14 am by chevil »

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #6254 on: May 06, 2012, 02:24:10 pm »

I was trying to build a cistern where I could store water from one of the murky pools on my map.  I had it mostly done when autumn hit and the water froze.  No problem, I said.  I'll just channel some lava from the nearby volcano into a chamber underneath the pool to melt it.  That went well (surprise!).  The water starts flowing.  I go to the cistern (9 or 10 z-levels below) and discover that I have forgotten water pressure.  The 30-odd block pool has flowed up a staircase from the pump room, filled the well room, and trickled into the cistern through the well.  Great, now it's had stagnant water in it.  I guess I'll just make it deeper and not fill the top level.  I designate the floor of the cistern to be channeled - while it's covered in 1/7 stagnant water.  It falls down to the new level.  Great, now that one' stagnant, too. Plus the murky pool re-froze when the water reached 1/7 and refuses to melt again.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 729