Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2117469 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7395 on: February 07, 2013, 09:14:47 pm »

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.
And still died
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7396 on: February 08, 2013, 09:04:11 pm »

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.
And still died
There are just that many forts. It's impossible to be further than 12 miles from the nearest one.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: February 09, 2013, 08:53:31 am »

Need more clothing.  Why am I out of pigtails?  Hmm, it's summer, the pigtail plot should be full of seeds.  I hope I haven't been cooking the seeds or something.  No, I have 200 seeds.  Where are they?

In the farmer's workshop, which has some give/receive orders associated with it and so won't give the seeds back to the generic seed stockpile.  Argh.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: February 09, 2013, 01:39:18 pm »

I just had a series of facepalms as a result of attempting to completely automate my silk farm. My silk farms are bi-directional - the spider shoots one way, while webs are collected from the other. When ready, I simply had to flip a lever to switch direction. I was looking to automate this by means of a water reservoir repeatedly filling and draining - the idea was that when the tank reaches half-full, the spider would be webbing to the west and my dwarfs collect from the east. Then, when the tank reaches half-empty they would swap sides.

Facepalm number one: When I tested the pressure plate that should have triggered the switch from west to east, it didn't work. At all. Still, I had just moments before the test made the switch with the pre-existing manual lever, so I figured that the commands where sent too close to one another and the gates got confused.

Facepalm number two: One of the pressure plates was too sensitive - it had to wait for the last bit of water to evaporate, and so a floodgate was locked open. This had the result of essentially causing the system to flail out of control, pouring water in more or less randomly. Easy enough to fix, just replace the pressure plate with one with a higher minimum setting.

Facepalm number three: In the process of attaching the faulty floodgate to the new pressure plate, I found I had neglected to put in a manual cut-off system, which left the jammed-open floodgate in the middle of a high-pressure water flow. Trying to time the mechanic's reattachment procedure with the random switching of the raising bridge upstream failed, and accidentally flooded half of the access ways to the system. Luckily, I was able to install some doors to keep most of my fort dry.

Facepalm number four: During the brainstorm to figure out how to get into the floodgate despite the high-pressure water flowing past it I realised that I could have made the design slightly more efficient. I decided that I wasn't even gonna bother streamlining the design, coz here on DF we're all about unnecessary complexity.

Finally, by installing a cutoff downstream, I managed to lock the randomly-opening bridge in the upright position, thus allowing access to the floodgate. Which led to...

Facepalm number five: The floodgate was still up, and I had no way of actually getting it to close. Again, a simple fix. I replaced it with a fresh new floodgate.

Finally, the thing was filling and draining properly! Yay!

Facepalm number six: The mid-reservoir floodgate has the exact same sensitivity issue as the first faulty one. Grr! Fortunately, I already had a system of drawbridges to let me at that particular plate, so repairs should be quite simple. In theory. Maybe.

Facepalm number seven: I already deconstructed the manual lever, which would have made repairs simple. I'm gonna have to get creative now.

Edit:

Facepalm number eight: Somewhere during this whole debacle, the autosave kicked in. "Dammit!" says I, "I could have loaded from before I stuffed the thing up and built it right! I never even thought of that. Now it's too late!" because I don't back up my saves. Still, this is DF, where the difference between an excellent design aesthetic and a royal cock-up is entirely dependent on your point of view.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:59:48 pm by Aviator CJ »
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: February 09, 2013, 03:50:30 pm »

I now want to build an automated silk farm.

What did you use as GCS bait? was it tamed?

Spy227X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7400 on: February 09, 2013, 08:48:32 pm »

Figuring out that Shift-,/. was actually changing the Z-Level.
Is this freshwater or saltwater? Because alternatively you could breed a large amount of crocodiles and unleash them into the waters... indirect genocide.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: February 09, 2013, 09:50:58 pm »

I now want to build an automated silk farm.

What did you use as GCS bait? was it tamed?

It was a wild spider, using turkeys as bait animals. I used to use dogs, but it got annoying when puppies got born. If you use birds, then they won't reproduce without a nest box, and they never need feeding.

And now for an update on my progress: After sleeping on the problem, I figure the only option I have is to drain the water supply, which means waiting for winter. Lesson learned: Always, ALWAYS include a manual cut-off switch, which should act up-stream of the fluid logic system of the hour.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

Mortis

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: February 10, 2013, 12:45:56 am »

My latest fort has had been going very well, despite managing to attract four forgotten beasts and a titan in the last year. However, I failed to notice my barons mandate, and so my legendary+5 carpenter was deemed to have been responsible. Because I handn't bothered with a hammerer yet, my captain of the guard came along and started punching her , since he didn't have a weapon. He didn't have any skill at striker, yet on the second punch
Urist McCaptain punches the carpenter in the head, tearing the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
The carpenter has been struck down

Her husband (swordmaster, full masterwork adamantine plate/sword/shield) went beserk, killing half the fort before dying from a bad case of arrows, and sending the fort into a tantrum spiral.
I currently have three sane dwarves with only minor injuries tending the dozen or so wounded, and a goblin siege sitting outside.
My full signature
To expand on this, I'm hoping someone can explain to me why my babies appear to be coated in axel grease...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: February 10, 2013, 03:45:32 am »

Nobles or failed moods, they're ALWAYS the catalyst.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: February 11, 2013, 03:49:47 am »

Adventure mode, full stop. I've never lasted an in-game month.

Is there some way to make your adventurer a weredragon from the start?
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Auroros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: February 11, 2013, 09:52:35 am »

WereDragons? Mod Dragons to be playable as outsider :)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: February 11, 2013, 03:06:07 pm »

I added [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] to the underground animal people. Just be a serpent man, start with as high Ambusher and Biter as possible. All targets human sized and smaller will die, guaranteed, from a single bite. Takes a bit though.

Speaking of outsiders, if this gives anyone ideas, they aren't listed as the enemy of any groups or entities (because they don't inherit the relations of a parent civ) until they actually strike someone from that group, so initially they can retire at any site owned by a faction (kobold caves, bandit camps, etc).

Mortis

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: February 11, 2013, 07:00:57 pm »

Is that all you need to do to make a creature controllable in adventure mode?
I'm new to modding, so please excuse me for not knowing this stuff  :-[
My full signature
To expand on this, I'm hoping someone can explain to me why my babies appear to be coated in axel grease...

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: February 11, 2013, 07:59:04 pm »

I've never modded before, where do you put that?

And can you do it with dragons too?
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: February 11, 2013, 08:09:28 pm »

I believe [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] is an entity tag. If you're cool with dragons building cities, trading, FIGHTING WARS, then go right ahead. :D
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 729