Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2116641 times)

matskuman5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7755 on: June 07, 2013, 11:43:02 am »

What mod makes dwarves poop?

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7756 on: June 07, 2013, 03:04:08 pm »

What mod makes dwarves poop?

Wasn't a mod that did it, I was using vanilla at the time. I think it was a syndrome that made them spew miasma.

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7757 on: June 08, 2013, 09:47:35 am »

Digging down to the magma sea, finding adamantite.  SWEET

Odd, why does it look like there's an elavator shaft.. oh well, must gets the adamantites...

Dorfs discover a glowing purple cavern.  RETRO SWEET!

Horrifying screams come from the depths.  Hmmm

118 flying fireball throwing/poison spitting/ice pooping demons swarm from the bowels of hell.

Fun ensued.  Did not have any way to cut off access from below.

That happened to me on the my second fortress, I was like, hmm maybe there's even more adamantite in this little area! Turns out it opens up hell. Also, my first time on this particular forum, seems like a nice fun community, I have only done 2 fortresses, on my third atm.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:49:52 am by 11sparky11 »
HugoLuman: What got in?
MrSparky: The river.

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7758 on: June 08, 2013, 04:09:22 pm »

Well I just had a super derp. My DF crashed after like 2 hours of straight playing, I then restarted just in case of some miracle it autosaved somehow (I was kidding my myself). When I realised there was no way of retrieving the data, I entered a tantrum and accidentally abandoned the fortress. I'm still really fucking pissed.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7759 on: June 08, 2013, 05:07:14 pm »

Well I just had a super derp. My DF crashed after like 2 hours of straight playing, I then restarted just in case of some miracle it autosaved somehow (I was kidding my myself). When I realised there was no way of retrieving the data, I entered a tantrum and accidentally abandoned the fortress. I'm still really fucking pissed.
You can set the game to autosave per season, check the wiki on how to edit the d_init.txt file. The wiki is a pretty nifty place.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7760 on: June 09, 2013, 04:03:31 am »

You can set the game to autosave per season, check the wiki on how to edit the d_init.txt file. The wiki is a pretty nifty place.

It already does, (LNP? idk), but I had still lost a whole seasons worth of toil, it was only a few days from autosaving again.

EDIT: It was only autosaving yearly. Damn. Oh well, i'll just have to go through all the work again.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:09:35 am by 11sparky11 »

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7761 on: June 09, 2013, 04:13:35 am »

My expedition leader-miner was digging down giant chute to drop hematite ore from the mines to the magma furnaces. I really don't know what happened, but next thing I saw was miner's mutilated corpse in the end of the shaft. And blood. And miner's limbs had all got separated from the body. All of them.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7762 on: June 09, 2013, 02:10:10 pm »

Yeah, fall damage tends to make things explode. Some people have built elaborate tower/shaft combinations to drop captured goblins as many z-levels as possible before they go splat, as sacrifices to Armok...

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #7763 on: June 11, 2013, 07:06:49 am »

Today, a fortress of 23 years falls. The 50 strong military(30 melee, 20 ranged) proved to be inadequate in suppressing the 100 strong force of goblins and their beasts of war. The shooty gobbos and their steeds went straight past the military, the few civilians who ran in the depot(and decided best direction to escape was straight at the goblins(also sparking the first fire of a tantrum spiral)), and then the gobbos went and smashed quite a few of the gem windows I had placed in the tunnels connecting the towers that make the fort.

Did I mention I have the whole thing surrounded by magma, and those glass windows are the only thing keeping it at bay? Right now out of 208, 156 dorfs are alive. Most of them now flipping their shit, getting trapped by magma and so on.

Once things calm down, I'll see if I can salvage at least a few of these jerks. At least in the future, I know that 100 military dorfs isn't too much.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:10:34 am by Ieb »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7764 on: June 11, 2013, 02:05:39 pm »

I was mining a huge mineshaft, including channeling out large areas. Suddenly, when almost all my miners are there (and I'd already lost a few from falling), the entire thing caved in. I realized that I forgot to build supports between layers.

Cue two dwarves dying because their brain is destroyed from impact, and two more hitting the ground and blowing apart.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7765 on: June 12, 2013, 02:36:41 am »

I was building ~70 z-levels high pump stack. Everything is fine, I've consturcted pumps and water reactors and things like that.

Then I notice that I forgot to dig that one channel under the pumps -> the pumps aren't connected to each other -> fuck this -> order dwarves to remove every pump and miners dig the channels.

Well, after this had succesfully done and I tried to start the stack, I noticed that my four water reactors didn't produce enough power.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7766 on: June 12, 2013, 06:29:44 am »

After a fair bit of rigorous minecart testing, i had my first minecart-related death (of a dwarf, the cats catching a faceful of -trifle pewter minecart- are population control). It wasn't one of the brave dwarfmonauts riding carts over ramps - and some of these flights failed spectacularly, one even with a dwarf getting thrown about thirty tiles, but getting away with two broken legs. It wasn't even an accident in one of the spectacularly poorly-secured minecart cannon concept test rigs. It was a harmless stonecrafter deciding she needed to put a kaolinite boulder in a stockpile. A boulder on a track i had built for a simple test of properties of ramps and which i'd never switched off because it worked so nicely. Well, she cancelled her hauling task because of 'unsafe terrain', which is dwarven for 'oops, i just gone got myself killified': the terrain was unexpectedly (?!) full of speeding minecart, which bumped into her from behind and threw her head-first into the nearest wall. At least it was a proper smashed skull death and not one of the awful deaths through whiplash/light concussion dwarfs so often suffer when something so much as lightly knocks on their heads. And she got a nice slab and a fine pewter statue in her burial chamber.

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7767 on: June 12, 2013, 07:00:25 pm »

Setting my barracks close to the entrance of the fort, while mining candy.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7768 on: June 14, 2013, 04:18:19 am »

No, right, mason, I get that.  That makes sense.  Of course you'd stand in your own way when trying to build a wall.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Mortis

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7769 on: June 14, 2013, 05:23:36 am »

I just spent about an hour and a half starting a new fort, designating all the bedrooms and setting up basic industries, all on this great site that had a 27 z-level canyon with multiple waterfalls and flux stone to boot. And then I did the stupidest thing I've ever done- I attempted to mod the raws while the game was still running. Cue crash-to-desktop after about a minute of intense relief as it seemed to work. Lost all my progress and the site. There is now quite a large dent in my desk.
My full signature
To expand on this, I'm hoping someone can explain to me why my babies appear to be coated in axel grease...
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 729