Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2116145 times)

Zachski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8475 on: April 14, 2014, 05:37:31 am »

If you can get wood by dismantling something then you can produce a wooden trainingsaxe.
The Woondcutter can work with that as well.

I suppose I can find something to dismantle and do that.  assuming the fey kid doesn't grab the wood first.  (Which may solve the problem, ironically.)

At one point, a bunch of rhesus-something birds (the name slips my mind, like names tend to do with me)...
If they were rhesus macaques, those are monkeys not birds. (*Face Palm* or whatever.)

Ah, sorry, the tileset I was using gave them a bird-like appearance.  That and I don't know much about monkeys OR birds, so... boo for ignorance :S

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8476 on: April 14, 2014, 08:36:12 am »

Furthermore, I've lost two more dwarves to insta-thaw drowning since then: Because the lake thaws instantly when Spring hits, I get absolutely no warning that I can use to pull my dwarves into burrows to get them off the ice. This fort's going to be interesting...

The insta-thaw issue is why I designate all ponds, streams, etc with restricted traffic. 'd-o-r', takes a while to perform all the designations, but once done, the beards won't go wandering onto ice while doing their chores.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8477 on: April 14, 2014, 11:44:23 am »

So, I was doing a little bit of modding and added some beast-man civs just they would not be just a nuisance fluttering around the fort, and gave them some fairly primitive professions and merchants and so on, and what do they bring?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Two of them. All the way up to my taiga volcano-top fortress... And I have nowhere to put them, as ponds are frozen 75% of the year and caves are somewhere very deep.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8478 on: April 14, 2014, 12:19:15 pm »

So, I was doing a little bit of modding and added some beast-man civs just they would not be just a nuisance fluttering around the fort, and gave them some fairly primitive professions and merchants and so on, and what do they bring?

Two of them. All the way up to my taiga volcano-top fortress... And I have nowhere to put them, as ponds are frozen 75% of the year and caves are somewhere very deep.

Edit the raws so you can war train them. Then make a large moat filled with water and put them there.

Wait, you said you lack water? Use magma and make them magma proof. NOTHING shall come in.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Zachski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8479 on: April 14, 2014, 12:54:05 pm »

Facepalm undone.  The child only needed one log (and I managed to free up two of them so that I could make a wooden axe)

I now have Rithartob, "Bellcombined", a maple bracelet.  It is encrusted with oval limestone cabochens decorated with ash and encircled with bands of fungiwood.  On the item is an image of Can The Book Save The World? the sandstone-bound book in maple.

It's no Planepacked, but it'll do.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8480 on: April 14, 2014, 06:01:18 pm »

I built 2 farmer's workshops out of ice boulders (murky pools only melt for 20 days a year in this embark), but built them right on top of a magma pipe I dug on the z-level below. The workshops melted. Said pipe was dug to get magma under a pool to keep it molten, which it doesn't.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: April 15, 2014, 02:37:09 pm »

Im looking for . . . solutions.  I don't have food for that, its the fifth season.  Its bad enough I never bother making the (typically 55 on average, for me) bedrooms required to house the third wave before they arrive.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:39:10 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8482 on: April 15, 2014, 03:27:55 pm »

Are they actually all children? Sometimes you can get migrants who are more than 12 years old, but show up as children to your fort, because worldgen doesn't properly update their professions.

Regardless, ouch.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8483 on: April 15, 2014, 05:49:41 pm »

A founder and a migrant have just died of thirst. I was wondering why, since I do have a bit of booze, (and trade with elves is about to commence), but then I realize it's probably in only 2-3 pots at most, and the dwarves can't all drink at the same time. The dangers of embarking on a volcano mountain include the aquifer being pretty far down, should've dug deeper earlier...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8484 on: April 15, 2014, 09:44:37 pm »

The human caravan came to town. I ordered all the worn clothes and some shoddy crafts brought to the depot. About ten days later, most stuff had arrived, so i asked for a trader. The trader arrived, "there are no merchants trading here". What?

Seems some trees grew while the caravan was underway and boxed in four wagons. On the upside, the deconstruct-teleport-then-atomsmash scheme worked flawlessly, getting the ~40k unasked-for gifts off our tab. And we have four wagon wooden items now - bed, minecart, wheelbarrow, enormous corkscrew.

Doc Voston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8485 on: April 19, 2014, 03:42:38 am »

Im looking for . . . solutions.  I don't have food for that, its the fifth season.  Its bad enough I never bother making the (typically 55 on average, for me) bedrooms required to house the third wave before they arrive.
Magma is always the solution.
"I'll grind you into porridge!"

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8486 on: April 19, 2014, 11:36:14 am »

Mod-related facepalm: I was trying to get the bread making reaction in my mod to work, and it did, thanks to Deon's Genesis. I used a bagful of oat flour to test it out, and was pleased to see things were working fabulously.

Then I looked at my supplies, and saw "Other: 3000-something". I went back to bakery, and I saw the cook moving very slowly to put the bread in its proper stockpile. Seems the reaction worked too well.

Now I have 3,000 dwarven oatcakes. Not what I had in mind. At least the fortress is going to be well-fed for the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:23:11 pm by Visus Draconis »
"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: April 19, 2014, 08:35:03 pm »

Bread for the bread god!

I had a face palm moment today when trying to figure out why my dorfs were leaving gaps in the cavern walls so things could (FREQUENTLY) come in and kill them. It turns out they--I don't know if they can't, but they really don't like to build a wall right next to a ramp (I had ramps alternating with floors, for scaffolding). Build floors over them, and now my caves are much more secure.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8488 on: April 21, 2014, 08:50:01 am »

Mod-related facepalm: I was trying to get the bread making reaction in my mod to work, and it did, thanks to Deon's Genesis. I used a bagful of oat flour to test it out, and was pleased to see things were working fabulously.

Then I looked at my supplies, and saw "Other: 3000-something". I went back to bakery, and I saw the cook moving very slowly to put the bread in its proper stockpile. Seems the reaction worked too well.

Now I have 3,000 dwarven oatcakes. Not what I had in mind. At least the fortress is going to be well-fed for the foreseeable future.

Too much yeast.....

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8489 on: April 21, 2014, 09:38:03 am »

Just got the first siege for a new fortress. A rather small affair, a crossbow goblin leading a squad of hammer goblins. Didn't have a trained military, but the welcome center was constructed and ready. The goblins after a while paused and stopped, not approaching the welcome center. I decided to take a look at the Units screen to see if any trolls or other beasts had made it onto the map. But what I saw was the hammer goblins, and no crossbow goblin.

WTF? I know I hadn't done anything to kill the crossbowman. Where was he? So looked at the Dead/Missing units and saw the dead crossbowman. What killed it? Do I used deathcause in dfhack and saw 'Drowned'. Turns out that the cave croc mount that the goblin was riding decided to stop in the middle of a murky pool, drowning his passenger. And of course, the rest of the goblin squad just stood around looking at the floating corpse. So I then sent my untrained archery squad to shoot at 'em from the safety of the other side of the ditch. After all, no longer had an other crossbowman to shoot back did I?
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 729