Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2114733 times)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8490 on: April 23, 2014, 09:48:19 pm »

did you check the reports screen to see any combat reports with the crossbow goblin?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8491 on: April 24, 2014, 12:54:58 pm »

Yup. No combat for that squad leader at all. Just a crossbow carrying goblin riding a cave croc. Silly beast stopped on the slope of a small pool (about 3x4 tiles) and stayed there until its rider drowned. Definitely a face palm moment.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8492 on: April 25, 2014, 03:20:31 am »

I got a bit overzealous with DFHack's digv near a volcano.
Some time later I noticed my framerate was dropping. Then I couldn't find my most experienced miner. Then I noticed the magma dripping down the central staircase. I was lucky it was near the bottom.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8493 on: April 25, 2014, 09:11:59 am »

Are you sure the digv command was at fault? If memory serves, the rock right next to a volcano (at least that rock that's adjacent to magma) is obsidian. And I don't think obsidian can be selected using the digv command. In any case, since the rock next to the magma is "revealed", you won't get the warm stone warning when digging there. So you do have to be careful to not accidentally designate it for digging.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8494 on: April 25, 2014, 09:23:15 am »

I'd previously dug away part of the obsidian to funnel some magma into a different area, to power magma forges and furnaces.
The vein marked ended one tile diagonally from where this funnel led from the volcano.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8495 on: April 25, 2014, 10:25:28 am »

I think digv is messed up with obsidian on a magma pipe. I once used digv on non-obsidian next to a volcano and it marked the obsidian next to the cluster. Maybe the information that dfhack is using is somehow not what DF uses to determine whether something next to a magma pipe is obsidian.
Taste my Paci-Fist

firelord84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8496 on: April 26, 2014, 12:11:06 pm »

My fort just succumbed to a Forgotten Beast......composed of vomit.  It breathes poisonous vapors so my dwarves could only get a couple wacks in before falling unconscious.  One managed to cut off its trunk and another cut off one of its feet.  Another fractured its upper body (indicating it had no organs).  A war dog managed to fracture its head somehow.  But eventually, my entire military fell.  It repeatedly kicked and "pushed" my dwarves in the head, killing the vast majority of them instantly.  My legendary axedwarf clad in adamantium managed a hit to the upper leg before being insta-killed by the headshot.

This thing is insane.  It's obliterated 4 attempts to reclaim with all starting seven having bronze weapons and skill, even though every single part of its body is red or missing (it doesn't have blood).  I give up.  It's now lost all its feet so it just "pushes" my dwarves to death as they lay unconscious in its vapors.  However, even an entire starting seven of axedwarves do nothing.  It must be gigantic because they can't sever its head or its legs.

The facepalm moment is this:  All cavern entrances are walled up in my fort.  There's no way for it to have gotten into my main stairwell!  Except....the damn wells in the damn hospital.  They fed directly from a first-cavern lake one level below them.  It must have crawled up the well.  It's the only explanation I can come to, as ridiculous as it is.  Those "very few" enemies which can still get up wells just happened to be my very first nigh invincible Forgotten Beast in an otherwise very well laid out, very promising fort...damn.

SupermanBananaX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8497 on: April 26, 2014, 01:11:49 pm »

My fort just succumbed to a Forgotten Beast......composed of vomit.  It breathes poisonous vapors so my dwarves could only get a couple wacks in before falling unconscious. 

This happened to me, my only team of 10 swordsmasters quickly dispatched it, but my hospital wasn't large enough to accommodate all 10 to treat whatever sickness they had. 4 were treated, and just as my eyes were popping out of my head seeing my six swordsmasters suffocate, I was sieged.

Anyway my facepalm moment is wasting 2 1/2 hours trying to figure out why my craftsdwarf is trapped in his shop and can't access wood or stone. I tried deallocating piles moving a pile right next to the shop, making multiple shops (yes with the same door/room structure so my problem wasn't alleviated) ,  queuing through manager, and pulling my hair out. Turns out those little darker green X's mean something...

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8498 on: April 26, 2014, 07:19:01 pm »

My fort just succumbed to a Forgotten Beast......composed of vomit.  It breathes poisonous vapors so my dwarves could only get a couple wacks in before falling unconscious. 

This happened to me, my only team of 10 swordsmasters quickly dispatched it, but my hospital wasn't large enough to accommodate all 10 to treat whatever sickness they had. 4 were treated, and just as my eyes were popping out of my head seeing my six swordsmasters suffocate, I was sieged.

Anyway my facepalm moment is wasting 2 1/2 hours trying to figure out why my craftsdwarf is trapped in his shop and can't access wood or stone. I tried deallocating piles moving a pile right next to the shop, making multiple shops (yes with the same door/room structure so my problem wasn't alleviated) ,  queuing through manager, and pulling my hair out. Turns out those little darker green X's mean something...

I once had a jeweler that went to his workshop, done his job cutting gems and... never left it until he died of thirst/hunger.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8499 on: April 26, 2014, 07:35:53 pm »

The facepalm moment is this:  All cavern entrances are walled up in my fort.
Doesn't matter. When game prepares site to reclaim, nasties can and will teleport around.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Lelouch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8500 on: April 27, 2014, 10:43:36 pm »

I Atomsmashed my legendary miner trying to check which switch was for which bridge... (4 bridge 6 levers...) :(  :/

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8501 on: April 28, 2014, 03:16:57 pm »

This thing is insane.  It's obliterated 4 attempts to reclaim with all starting seven having bronze weapons and skill, even though every single part of its body is red or missing (it doesn't have blood).  I give up.  It's now lost all its feet so it just "pushes" my dwarves to death as they lay unconscious in its vapors.  However, even an entire starting seven of axedwarves do nothing.  It must be gigantic because they can't sever its head or its legs.

Make a vampire adventurer, kill the thing with him. Vampires are inmune to gas, and a vomit FB should be a pushover.

(Or, kill thething with ranged weapons, out of reach of the gas)
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

JerDGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8502 on: May 05, 2014, 05:58:39 pm »

New to the forum, and new to DF.  I'm having a BLAST with it though, and just had my first moment like this.  I have my first injurned dwarf.  He's sitting in his room looking real sad.  He's been cleaned and sutured, but needed a crutch.  I knew I had ONE crutch in my fortress, but did not know where it was.  WHY WON'T MY BONE DOCTOR GET THAT CRUTCH?!?!

After about 20 or 30 minutes of messing around I realize...wait...what are crutches made out of? Wood? Excellent, I have woodworker, carpenters and and carpentry shops. 
Construct Wooden Crutch
Construct Wooden Crutch
Construct Wooden Crutch

If this doesn't work...then I'll let him bleed out.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8503 on: May 06, 2014, 09:04:26 am »

Don't worry, medical jobs have such low priority that doctors are well know for eating, drinking, attend a party, hanging around in the dining room with no job for months, and then, tend the wounded.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8504 on: May 06, 2014, 02:43:10 pm »

Wow, what an effective sluice valve I made!

Thankfully I built another one just in case, and it saved my meeting hall from drowning.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 729