Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2110532 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8520 on: May 16, 2014, 01:43:33 pm »

You can allow one of your ores to be used in construction, through <z> ---> Stones.  Just remember to disallow it, once you have a piece of charcoal to build a new wood furnace.

Last I checked, copper nuggets were not magma safe.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8521 on: May 16, 2014, 01:51:18 pm »

You can allow one of your ores to be used in construction, through <z> ---> Stones.  Just remember to disallow it, once you have a piece of charcoal to build a new wood furnace.

Last I checked, copper nuggets were not magma safe.
I thought one only needs fire-safe materials to build the needed workshops, though?
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8522 on: May 16, 2014, 04:17:48 pm »

Yep, fire-safe is all you need if it isn't a magma furnace but since a significant portion of stones and IIRC all metals, glasses, and ceramics are fire safe no one really mentions it all that much.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8523 on: May 16, 2014, 06:35:23 pm »

What qualifies as fire-safe? Lead and its alloy metals melt in FIREJET fire

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8524 on: May 16, 2014, 06:58:51 pm »

What qualifies as fire-safe? Lead and its alloy metals melt in FIREJET fire

Lead, tin, zinc, bismuth, and all three types of pewter are not fire-safe metals. Anything that is stable at a temperature of 11,000 U is considered fire safe by the game.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8525 on: May 18, 2014, 12:26:14 am »

I'm training up my melee squad by sending them to attack captured goblins tied up in my room of restraint(s). I checked the reports for this last one I sent...and it was, well, d0rfy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He eventually did get back to using his war hammer, steel buckler, punches, and kicks before finishing him off with the help of his squadmate who arrived with steel battle axe. But seriously? Why would you stop hammering and start punching/biting/shaking? I promise that goblins taste terrible. I don't even need to taste one to assure you of that!

Edited to add: I now have a gem setter on break in that room of future-military-training-fodder. Hiding between two chained goblins. Really? "He has admired a fine restraint lately."
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:39:14 am by MrsStick »
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8526 on: May 18, 2014, 12:56:02 pm »

Chained hostiles are not automatically attacked if you station a squad nearby, are they?  Did you use a kill order to achieve this?

Is the Gem Setter in danger / receiving attacks?  is he trapped as in he wants to run, but the chained Gobbos are blocking his exit?  I thought chained hostiles panicked civilians, but it's been a while since I had any.

This is actually a pretty brilliant training setup, I might improve it by using wooden training weapons to get more longevity out of the gobbos.  But I am very interested in this.  Would like to hear more.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8527 on: May 18, 2014, 03:25:07 pm »

Chained hostiles are not automatically attacked if you station a squad nearby, are they?  Did you use a kill order to achieve this?

Is the Gem Setter in danger / receiving attacks?  is he trapped as in he wants to run, but the chained Gobbos are blocking his exit?  I thought chained hostiles panicked civilians, but it's been a while since I had any.

This is actually a pretty brilliant training setup, I might improve it by using wooden training weapons to get more longevity out of the gobbos.  But I am very interested in this.  Would like to hear more.

Your militia won't attack automatically, but caravan guards will. If you want to use them for training, you will want to keep the restraints away from where caravans may see them. You can get your militia to attack the restrained creatures with a kill order.

Restrained creatures won't actively fight back, but when attacked they may be able to counterstrike. Chained creatures do not panic civilians.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8528 on: May 18, 2014, 06:26:03 pm »

Cool, thanks for the details.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: May 18, 2014, 10:31:52 pm »

BlackFlyme said it all. I use a kill order. I actually need to put out more cage traps because I'm out of *ahem* training aids. I have a room next to my workshop room with restraints all along the wall. The only thing to make sure of is that you have taken all armor/weapons from the gobbos, or else your n00b dwarves might get killed. Ask me how I know that one...

So wait at least a few months after designating the gobbos' stuff for dumping and confirm that it has been removed (check your dump) before chaining or else you'll have to be very careful on who kills whom.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: May 19, 2014, 01:09:15 am »

So, I was being invaded by about 20 goblins. My highly-trained military could take them, so I sent them out. When I realized that was just the initial wave of a 150+ invasion force, I decided to retreat, closing my outer drawbridge behind my forces.  Unfortunately, my Captain of the Guard, one of the most badass of badasses (knocked out a goblin's teeth into the face of his friend, killing them both), was locked outside.  I decided to open the gate for him. He was promptly atomsmashed.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

shevtsov200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8531 on: May 19, 2014, 05:34:16 am »

Why would you stop hammering and start punching/biting/shaking?
I think, his hammer stucked and he didn't want to twist it.

Kreydurst

• Bay Watcher
  • Is insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: May 19, 2014, 03:20:11 pm »

He was promptly atomsmashed.

And this is the reason I always build a 2z level deep "Bridge" moat with no ramps (only staircases on the side.) To prevent accidental atom smashing.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8533 on: May 20, 2014, 08:38:52 pm »

A real predator, that.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: May 20, 2014, 10:25:09 pm »

A real predator, that.

.... .... .... .... .... I wonder what a mouse would do to it?
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 729