Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2112252 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8580 on: June 19, 2014, 10:27:38 pm »

I kept seeing a rock on my otherwise pristine area... kept trying to dump it.  No dwarf would touch it.  finally, I checked to see if it was forbidden.  Turned out I was trying to dump the dump :P
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8581 on: June 20, 2014, 08:16:11 am »

I found an axelord with multiple +5 legendary skills starved to death in a cage he fell into during a fistfight with another dwarf. He was literally within mere footsteps of the damn well too.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: June 20, 2014, 10:34:05 am »

A copperstar room surrounded by windows is built to defend against migration, and a migrant who is killed, turns out to be a vampire. They are not really that tough!
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8583 on: June 20, 2014, 04:18:50 pm »

I've been trying to build a 4 floor arena and before I finished channeling the 1st floor, I've already had 5 cave ins, in which two legendary miners got horribly injured. one can't walk due to a broken leg and the other can't grasp due to breaking both arms.

great practice for the hospital though.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8584 on: June 20, 2014, 08:31:32 pm »

Something that happens fairly often is I see a forgotten beast coming up from below, so we all gather behind the deeping gates. The entire army gathers behind the doors as we hear the fell beast slam furiously against it! I start up some epic music to set the mood, I brace myself for the battle of a lifetime.

Then it SMASHES the doors down! Then gets shot once in the head dieing instantly. Everybody goes home.
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: June 21, 2014, 08:00:32 pm »

I discovered adamantine and mined it out for the first time. My +5 legendary weapon smith for one reason or another couldn't seem to make masterwork weapons from it most of the time which was driving me nuts. So I  quickly looked up the melt tables and at a glance it looked like melting my picks and battle axes and reforging them would actually net me a 120% return each time I did it. So I did the only logical thing which was I to melt down each and every battle axe and pick the smith made except for the masterwork ones. In the end I repeated this a couple of dozen times trying to reforge all his failures into master pieces.

Sometime after finally getting the handful of masterwork axes and picks I needed, I was looking through my stocks menu and to my horror I noticed all my glorious stacks of adamantine wafers were gone. They had vanished into thin air! Then the horror of what had happened dawned on me. I went back and looked at the wiki again and noticed underneath the melt table that adamantine was the exception to the rule and you lose 70% of it every time you melt down a weapon. I had vaporized 60 priceless wafers of adamantine.   :-[

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: June 21, 2014, 08:44:39 pm »

After a majority of my legendary military and lots of civilian dwarves got webbed and slain by a web spitting coral forgotten beast, a farmer killed the thing by kicking its head off.

How anticlimactic. Here I was all prepared to watch the beast rampage through my fort, and then it goes and dies.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8587 on: June 21, 2014, 11:02:05 pm »

I went back and looked at the wiki again and noticed underneath the melt table that adamantine was the exception to the rule and you lose 70% of it every time you melt down a weapon. I had vaporized 60 priceless wafers of adamantine.
Well, on the bright side, one set of 500 adamantine coins split (via trading) and melted down yields you a net 49 wafers each round. It's 620 melt jobs to get all your wafers back, but at least you don't have to micromanage redesignating melt like when you fail to make a masterwork.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:06:00 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: June 22, 2014, 09:39:54 am »

I have a LEVITATING Dwarven caravan.

I removed all the floors and walls under them. No luck. These bastards are stuck in mid-air.

How to get them down? ( That doesn't involve cave-ins or magma preferably. )
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: June 22, 2014, 12:20:54 pm »

Made an embark team with hens, a rooster, a couple of cows, good sets of skills.
Forgot the anvil.
For the first year I had a single miner, then I managed to buy an iron pick (I wanted a copper one, but the liaison had only irony).
I ordered for an anvil, since I have  plenty of copper and silver bars: got a swarm of miners in the next migrant weave.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8590 on: June 23, 2014, 11:13:36 pm »

I finally figured out how the military screen works ... damn, that's so frickin' easy and self explanatory once you got it. 'FACEPALM²'.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Rüdiger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: June 24, 2014, 09:26:43 am »

I went back and looked at the wiki again and noticed underneath the melt table that adamantine was the exception to the rule and you lose 70% of it every time you melt down a weapon. I had vaporized 60 priceless wafers of adamantine.
Well, on the bright side, one set of 500 adamantine coins split (via trading) and melted down yields you a net 49 wafers each round. It's 620 melt jobs to get all your wafers back, but at least you don't have to micromanage redesignating melt like when you fail to make a masterwork.

Or adamantine minecarts which cost 1 wafer and return 1.8 wafers.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: June 24, 2014, 08:37:02 pm »

Interesting. Seems it's because of this bug.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: June 25, 2014, 09:35:51 am »

Interesting. Seems it's because of this bug.

So all I need is 2 adamantine to clone it endlessly? * fanfare *

Hell yeah, and I was worried I'd have to melt coins...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:08:08 pm by KiBoy »
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Equus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: June 26, 2014, 04:14:49 am »

i accidentally made my gemcutter build a jeweler without making sure he had an exit.
something i only noticed when the message "gem cutter has been missing for a week" appeared... such a newbie mistake.   
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 729