Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2112068 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8595 on: June 26, 2014, 06:39:12 am »

i accidentally made my gemcutter build a jeweler without making sure he had an exit.
something i only noticed when the message "gem cutter has been missing for a week" appeared... such a newbie mistake.   
Don't worry, this is a quite common mistake... Happens when you just got to set up a new floor to the fortress and is making twenty or more rooms at once, some things slip by...
Oh, and welcome to the forums!
In a time before time, I had a name.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8596 on: June 26, 2014, 02:04:08 pm »

I have a pet kitten that I have no idea what do with it. I can't cage it, chain it, military won't touch it either. And I don't want catsplosion any time soon, so... Any ideas?

Oh wait, nevermind. I just remembered magma solves EVERYTHING.

i accidentally made my gemcutter build a jeweler without making sure he had an exit.
something i only noticed when the message "gem cutter has been missing for a week" appeared... such a newbie mistake.   
Don't worry, this is a quite common mistake... Happens when you just got to set up a new floor to the fortress and is making twenty or more rooms at once, some things slip by...
Oh, and welcome to the forums!

I think we all starved/dehydrated our gemcutters to death at one point. It's like a rite of passage to become a fully-fledged dwarf.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:09:29 pm by KiBoy »
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8597 on: June 27, 2014, 01:03:17 am »

Trying to get rid of some cast obsidian I accidentally created. Dug instead of taking the time to channel properly. The resulting cave in knocked my mayor/accountant/legendary +3 miner neatly down one z-level, breaking his neck. Not a scratch on him otherwise. Or on anyone else.

Reverse facepalm: deadly dust forgotten beast knocked a piece of granite into its own head, killing it.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8598 on: June 27, 2014, 01:14:30 pm »

Trying to get rid of some cast obsidian I accidentally created. Dug instead of taking the time to channel properly. The resulting cave in knocked my mayor/accountant/legendary +3 miner neatly down one z-level, breaking his neck. Not a scratch on him otherwise. Or on anyone else.

Reverse facepalm: deadly dust forgotten beast knocked a piece of granite into its own head, killing it.

For some reason expedition leaders/mayors survive pretty often with head injuries. My expedition leader for example broke her skull from 1 z-level drop after a cave-in. She passed out a few times, but otherwise she immediately returned to work. Damn, dwarven women are freaking tough...

Oh well, FB are stupid, not much we can do about that...
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8599 on: June 27, 2014, 11:08:39 pm »

Oh no, my mayor was instantly killed. :(

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8600 on: June 29, 2014, 12:04:33 am »

Finally got both atom-smashers up and running and pulled one of the levers. Instantly realize that a retracting bridge =/= atom smasher. It just fluffs the stuff around. I ran the other one (finally got over losing a few non-trash pieces, including a bit of iron) just to satisfy my need to destroy stuff, then designated the retracting bridge for removal. I'll re-build it...I like being able to sort stuff from one zone to the other to keep good stuff from being smashed. Hooray.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8601 on: June 30, 2014, 10:34:07 am »

Modding a caste of dwarves to be [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] dragon-handlers does NOT make them resistant to being boiled alive by the blood of exploding goblins that the dragons breathed on.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8602 on: June 30, 2014, 12:01:48 pm »

I think what the FIREIMMUNEs do is they keep a unit from being on fire, not from melting in the heat.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8603 on: June 30, 2014, 08:41:31 pm »

A falcon got into my fort and in a rush to catch it I threw up a row of cage traps only to have it get away and realize the cage traps were locking some merchants in.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8604 on: July 01, 2014, 09:40:44 am »

Trying to dig an opening next to the river at the base of a waterfall to build a bridge there, and instead designating the digging in the level under that, where the river water was. Yeah...

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace-ace ace-ace of ace-aces
    • View Profile
« Reply #8605 on: July 01, 2014, 11:06:57 am »

realizing how burrows work.

i r newb.
This is a birch door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. On the item is an image of ravens in birch.
Noob fortress, a succession game for noobs.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157847.0

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8606 on: July 01, 2014, 11:17:18 am »

realizing how burrows work.

i r newb.
Somewhen you'll realize the way they don't work.
Finis sanctificat media.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8607 on: July 02, 2014, 03:58:55 am »

I dug into a river for a flow of water. I was going to control the flow with a floodgate, I only realized after mining out the tile that the floodgate wasn't finished yet. Also I had no failsafe and the fort was promptly flooded.

In another fort I intended to flood the elves so I could take their stuff, so when they arrived at the trade depot the room filled with water, all went well until I realized I did not build a way to drain the water after drowning the elves. I just generally don't agree with water, it seems.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8608 on: July 02, 2014, 03:00:11 pm »

Brought the laptop into the kitchen to refer to a recipe, and didn't stop playing (I was trading with the Mountainhomes! New weapons for my traps!). Laptop battery died one minute before I was done to bring it back to the charger.
Why not use mains power?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8609 on: July 02, 2014, 07:05:59 pm »

Brought the laptop into the kitchen to refer to a recipe, and didn't stop playing (I was trading with the Mountainhomes! New weapons for my traps!). Laptop battery died one minute before I was done to bring it back to the charger.
Why not use mains power?

Didn't want to disentangle the cord. Laziness at its finest!
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 729