Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2112984 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8640 on: July 15, 2014, 02:29:50 am »

Hm. That doesn't sound too good.

Oh, damn it.

His corpse, along with that of my fish cleaner:

(His is the yellow one.)
Black lives matter.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8641 on: July 15, 2014, 04:29:55 am »

My expedition leader dehydrated for a month and y crops went unplanted because I had some trouble with an unusuable upwards/downwards ramp combo leading to my farms. I finally realised the problem and built some wooden stairs.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8642 on: July 15, 2014, 02:31:29 pm »

"hmm, this site looks great.   Two biomes, both include flux, shallow metals and deep metals, neither has an aquifer...Mostly flat, except that little outcropping of rock.    Yeah, and no aquifer to worry about."

Embark carefully, make a new template.
"Yeah, so all these carpenters will be useful for making blocks so I can bust the aquifer."

Embark.   

"Wait....  There's no aquifer here.    D'oh."

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8643 on: July 16, 2014, 11:10:10 am »

Decided to gen a Large World, Very High Civs, Beasts, Sites, and Savagery, with Frequent Minerals. I've been waiting an hour and it's only at year 480, so I figured I'd stop it there. It hasn't responded in 20 minutes.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8644 on: July 16, 2014, 03:39:28 pm »

Got two necromancers invading at the same time in winter, but with only one corpse.
I scare the necro away, don't bother to hunt them in the trees.
They leave. Only the corpse left.

It's an elf corpse. Idling on the edge of the map.
"Meh, I'll just send my two axedwarves eliminate it." (Superior/masterwork copper axes and full copper armor)

First one proceed to land a few hits.
Get punched in the head through the + copper helm +! The injured part collapse in a lump of gore!
Second one takes a month to arrive. Going back to training and failpathing in the whole fort.
Get punched in the head through the + copper helm +! The injured part collapse in a lump of gore!

Oh, right. I forgot about the agility + strength boost.

Savescum, deal with it with crossbows.

Riklurt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8645 on: July 16, 2014, 04:07:33 pm »

Embarked in a haunted biome (full of "staring eyeball clusters") and decided to play it very careful. Sealed myself into the fortress near a volcano and started working on a magma purge against anything nasty that might come from outside, letting nothing in or out until it was finished. Plenty of food stocked up, had just finished making magma-safe mechanisms and floodgates and was about to pull the lever.

By now, plenty of undead mountain goats and giant badgers have gathered up outside. Just about to link up the final lever when I get the following message:

"Stray yak cow (tame) has starved to death."

I'd forgotten about the stupid things needing pastures to survive. Needless to say, it immediately animated as a hideous yak cow corpse and butchered the entire fortress.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8646 on: July 16, 2014, 08:35:21 pm »

Embarked in a haunted biome (full of "staring eyeball clusters") and decided to play it very careful. Sealed myself into the fortress near a volcano and started working on a magma purge against anything nasty that might come from outside, letting nothing in or out until it was finished. Plenty of food stocked up, had just finished making magma-safe mechanisms and floodgates and was about to pull the lever.

By now, plenty of undead mountain goats and giant badgers have gathered up outside. Just about to link up the final lever when I get the following message:

"Stray yak cow (tame) has starved to death."

I'd forgotten about the stupid things needing pastures to survive. Needless to say, it immediately animated as a hideous yak cow corpse and butchered the entire fortress.

Also if i remember correctly, lava doesn't do anything to husks, so your plan wouldn't have worked anyway :3
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8647 on: July 17, 2014, 01:33:49 pm »

One of my wrestlerdorfs threw another into the ground while sparring, caving his skull.

Real damn smart move.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

donald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8648 on: July 18, 2014, 09:04:45 am »

One of my wrestlerdorfs threw another into the ground while sparring, caving his skull.

Real damn smart move.

Related story:

A child threw a temper tantrum yesterday and punched my mayor through the skull.

Despite being found guilty, he was never sentenced.  I assume he pled insanity.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8649 on: July 18, 2014, 10:27:32 am »

plead insanity because not an adult yet me thinks.... i could be wrong though.

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8650 on: July 18, 2014, 10:42:56 am »

Real damn smart move.

Related story:

A child threw a temper tantrum yesterday and punched my mayor through the skull.

Despite being found guilty, he was never sentenced.  I assume he pled insanity.
In my "monk shrine" fort in 34.11, I quickly learned that wrestler dwarves need helmets. I had 2 severed spines in the first year.

Vi Et Armis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8651 on: July 18, 2014, 09:39:48 pm »

When I get the resources, I put all dwarves in inactive squads with helmets.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8652 on: July 19, 2014, 11:30:52 am »

when I deconstructed a floor tile, and one of my miners mining on top of it fell! not before clinging on a craggy wall of the caverns however! Still the clumsy yet durable dorf fell down, and broke his upper spine. Now that should be bad yeah? funny thing it doesn't stop dwarves from breathing anymore, unlike the last few versions when it was considered a fatal blow!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:38:43 am by Bartholomew The Pious »
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8653 on: July 19, 2014, 11:46:45 am »

That's because the dorf's spine (that is, bone) was broken, not his upper nervous tissue. Now if the upper spine nervous tissue was torn...

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8654 on: July 19, 2014, 12:25:33 pm »

That's because the dorf's spine (that is, bone) was broken, not his upper nervous tissue. Now if the upper spine nervous tissue was torn...
Perhaps, though we can't deny the head has been given some buffs to environmental and occupational damage. Oh and since the neck has been added, the upper spine nervous tissue must have more protection ergo to the neck so it's been moved to a somewhat safer area.
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 729