Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2116194 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8925 on: October 15, 2014, 12:07:15 pm »

*Banging head off table* I had a huge trap set up for the clowns, to cave-in them... Forgot I turned cave-ins off. So I turn it on. EVERY. SINGLE. LEVEL. OF. MY. FORTRESS. JUST. COLLAPSED. AAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!
Whats it look like now?  I am deathly curious.  Well, maybe not as dead as your fort :P
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8926 on: October 16, 2014, 01:29:58 pm »

...I forgot magma doesn't pressurize like water does.

When clearing a hill next to my wagon I found a nearly perfect 4x5 block of obsidian running down through multiple layers was randomly left behind as my miners happened to dig around it, so I kept it and began smoothing/engraving it. Ended up digging down a good ways into the fort, about 10 z levels top to bottom, but it made things unbalanced, so I dfhacked another column of obsidian to repeat it with on the other side, but THAT one had revealed interior blocks by default so I used up/down stairs to clear it and get the engraving done.

Then I thought... hmmm, I accidentally flooded part of my fort through a well with something like this on a much smaller scale... *liquids, m(agma), range 2x3x9* pow, engraved columns filled with magma, ready to go. Got the release tunnels set up, opened it for a test firing... wah-wah-wah-waaaahhhhh. It just sinks to the lowest level it can reach. T.T

Not to be deterred, I whipped up a magma-safe pumpstack, reloaded everything and hooked up a four-wheel perpetual motion machine in the basement, opened it up, giggled with glee at the magma starting to pour out all around my magma safe statues and constructions... and then realized I just started a brush fire in a fairly hot dry biome with heavy trees... it eventually made it around the entire map before there was nothing left to burn.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I thought it would be amazing as an elf caravan popped up just as it neared their side of the map but they happened to stumble into a natural firebreak, so I lured them closer with unforbidden doors, slammed them shut to break their pathing AI, and laughed as they stood there and melted while I started another forest fire...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8927 on: October 18, 2014, 12:14:07 pm »

I think my dwarves are climbing to build sites that I designated over magma, and slipping and falling in somehow.  :facepalm:  So now I cant even predesignate areas to build.

Also, I keep losing bunny rabbits and cavies to . . . something?  They just disappear.  I get the 'xx has been missing for over a week' and we never find the bodies.  Ever.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8928 on: October 18, 2014, 05:22:51 pm »

Wonder, speaking of nestboxes, if The Toad has plans to let wild birds use tree twig tiles/pebble tiles as wild next boxes.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8929 on: October 18, 2014, 09:07:30 pm »

Are the cavies/bunnies in cages? I had to start checking to see what I could pasture after I dispose of some elves since grazers starve to death in there.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8930 on: October 18, 2014, 09:38:02 pm »

No they  werent, not this time.  due to my fort layout I left all my grazers topside.  we have no water in our cavern, so . . . i suspect they get chased away from  my dwarves and mauled by the rather savage/evil wildlife (as proven by the presence of trolls/cave ogres)
PKs DF Mod!

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8931 on: October 19, 2014, 09:27:03 am »

I thought the lion tamarin i got from elves would be larger than they actually are.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8932 on: October 19, 2014, 09:31:00 am »

I thought the lion tamarin i got from elves would be larger than they actually are.

Hah! Yeah, despite the fierce name, they're less than a foot long.  Most tamarins are about the size of a gray squirrel; many are way smaller.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8933 on: October 19, 2014, 11:14:03 am »

I've genned a new world by using advanced world generation to get evil badlands embark, also raised embark points a little.

First Facepalm
How could you embark without plump helmets?
I'll send you to gather some plants if anything can grow here.

Second Facepalm
Ignored undead great horned owl and clouds of vile dust. My untrained woodcutter took it down, but it was reanimating biome, so hair of butchered horse killed everyone.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8934 on: October 20, 2014, 02:35:39 am »

Wonder, speaking of nestboxes, if The Toad has plans to let wild birds use tree twig tiles/pebble tiles as wild next boxes.
There will be face palms when unhatched eggs start maiming woodcutters.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8935 on: October 20, 2014, 09:33:49 pm »

I had a moody dwarf with demands I couldn't meet, so I walled him in, just in case the caravan didn't get there in time. It didn't, and he went full-on bezerk. Good thing I built that wall!

I went to focus on other things, and started getting cancelation spam: "Interupted by mason", "experiencing emotional shock", etc. Went to check -- how did he get out?

Well, looks like that wall I built so carefully around the workshop overlapped a stairway on one corner -- so I guess he was able to path out diagonally. *facepalm*
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8936 on: October 21, 2014, 10:01:09 am »

My decision to not embark with any weapons had... mixed results.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8937 on: October 21, 2014, 12:18:41 pm »

I had the same embark result little over a hour ago. Embarked right beside a river and my hoppleheads got insta pastered across the floors by the local alligators. xD

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8938 on: October 25, 2014, 01:46:53 pm »

On the first fortress that lasted long enough for me to get a noble (a mayor), the first demand given to me by the first mayor to take office was for an... aluminium bed to be brought to his bedroom.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8939 on: October 25, 2014, 02:45:36 pm »

Accidentally drowned two dwarves in my cistern before I realized it only needed to be two z levels deep and one square wide for my well to draw from it...
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 729