Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2115087 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9690 on: February 27, 2016, 02:15:13 pm »

There's likely some range that's close enough to hit goblins at but far enough away to not flee their post in terror.

Yea, anywhere from 250 squares, to about 20, 30, iirc. Butvits so innacurate it still borders on useless.

So seige weapons are currently crap?

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9691 on: February 27, 2016, 02:44:41 pm »

There's likely some range that's close enough to hit goblins at but far enough away to not flee their post in terror.

Yea, anywhere from 250 squares, to about 20, 30, iirc. Butvits so innacurate it still borders on useless.

Yes. It requires very careful design to make them remotely useable. I.e. a long, straight, narrow pathway to your fortress. If a 100 gobs are funnling through a 2 tiles wide tunnel then yes the siege weapons will probably kill a couple in the seconds it takes them to walk from where they enter to within sight of your siege dorfs.

IMO siege operation should be a military action and not a civilian action.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9692 on: February 28, 2016, 11:21:12 am »

Not if you use them on large, dense crowds of goblins and their friends.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9693 on: February 28, 2016, 12:19:31 pm »

Not if you use them on large, dense crowds of goblins and their friends.

Yea, but to get those types of groups, you have to plan it, or be lucky.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 02:54:19 pm by SimRobert2001 »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9694 on: March 04, 2016, 01:31:07 pm »

You can funnel the goblins through a maze of fortifications, or rather a zig-zagging path. Ballista arrows fly through it. But if you have military they are probably better used against more dangerous opponents, where you don't want your soldiers to face them.

chesse20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9695 on: March 05, 2016, 09:21:10 pm »

messed around with the properites of diorite, making it weapon grade and powerful as bronze, but then also causing to sublmate when mined/exposed to air, thus destroying 3/4 of my workshops instantly

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9696 on: March 07, 2016, 12:44:56 am »

...why, Solon. Why are you walking PAST the stone stockpile to go use stone that's several levels below it? Is it because your dwarven wine-addled brain looks at the mined-out section being a few levels below the workshop, ignoring just how long of a walk it is? :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9697 on: March 11, 2016, 08:51:24 am »

Had a face palm just a second a go. Messed around tileset on my save with the best fortress I ever had and was about to get my first siege ever and boom... something went wrong and needed to delete dwarf fortress  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( SO SAD
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9698 on: March 11, 2016, 07:06:30 pm »

ouch. Delete Dwarf Fortress? That's unpossible.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9699 on: March 12, 2016, 01:26:07 am »

ouch. Delete Dwarf Fortress? That's unpossible.
Well I did something to the game and everything went crazy and I couldn't repair it maybe the game was always crazy but I was playing it wrong. :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 01:30:14 am by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9700 on: March 12, 2016, 11:08:29 am »

And that is why I always back up my raw folder before I start modding. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9701 on: March 12, 2016, 09:24:57 pm »

Very minor facepalm, but was trying to build the majestic castle to guard my fort's entrance since I went straight down rather than into a mountain. Building the walls out of microline blocks, planning to make it so the second floor overhangs so nothing can climb it, so I don't need to roof it off and can build a statue garden outside to combat cave adaptation.

I wanted to make the floors that weren't microline white, so originally tried diorite, mixing it up with dolomite as I usually do. Diorite is the black-like colour on Spacefox graphics. Facepalm, shrug, tried gneiss. Light grey, acceptable.

Only notice that diorite and gneiss are NOT the same colour after building some floors. Facepalm. Time to designate a bunch of flooring to be ripped up...things must be UNIFORM.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9702 on: March 14, 2016, 09:38:16 am »

...things must be UNIFORM.
I once built a castle with mixed metal bars and color stones.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9703 on: March 14, 2016, 04:32:07 pm »

...things must be UNIFORM.
I once built a castle with mixed metal bars and color stones.
A very large area (about 30x30) of my fort is made of slate and orthoclase. Said area is suspended near the top of the first cavern layer... and very poorly supported. A single cave-in could send the whole floor plummeting several z-levels.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9704 on: March 14, 2016, 05:10:38 pm »

A single cave-in could send the whole floor plummeting several z-levels.

Dooo iiiit.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 729