Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 711

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1401945 times)

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9780 on: May 30, 2016, 09:44:20 am »

With my latest fort, I had a minor facepalm, thinking "Oh, the whole brook won't freeze!  I'm seeing some brook not freeze".  Cue the remaining brook getting with the program of freezing and me narrowly averting a fort death via no drink or water.  (The land's badlands for the record, with a brook going through it near the edge.  I have made measures to make a screw pump to pump some water into the X-Com-esque fortress.)

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: June 01, 2016, 06:40:45 am »

Brought a single Turkey Hen and about 20 Turkey Gobblers with me on an embark instead of the othey way around.

"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Nasferatu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: June 02, 2016, 03:38:24 pm »

Axedwarf has grown attached to a grown oak shortsword

there are many things wrong with this

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9783 on: June 02, 2016, 05:55:39 pm »

first migrant wave of 3 dorfs:
a beekeeper, a fisherdorf and a talented doctor

now i instantly open DT and check them, everything is fine.
i unpause and soundsense playes battlesounds. i check the announcement window to see that the doctor is fighting the beekeper.
suddenly it says the beekeeper is dead.
i check units and find they were married and have 4 children.
while killing him, she even felt satisfied for improving fighting and striking.
then felt horrified upon the unsuspected death of a beloved one.
WTF?!
---
i just made a copy of the save and opened it in legends viewer and there is no sign of a reason for that fight.
he gave up beekeeping to become a poet, she gave up armoring to become a doctor, they met, they migrated and then she kills him. i even looked if any of them worshipped a dark deity, but none did. well, i hope she can cope with killing her spouse.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • The brochure sure didn't mention any of this shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: June 03, 2016, 05:07:49 pm »

Trees are evil!

I've had my second tree-related death!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: June 04, 2016, 04:08:16 am »

Trees are evil!

I've had my second tree-related death!
I'm up to 7. They have their own section in the cemetery.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. Was this inevitable (Y/y)?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: June 04, 2016, 04:58:55 am »

In previous version, when I want 1 armor stand, I input the following commands: j-m-rock ar-enter-enter.
But now the default number is infinity...
Fortunately the caravans came that years had extra space in their wagons.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: June 05, 2016, 10:04:54 am »

That reminds me of Spearbreakers...(though it ended up becoming a Thing.)

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.
MUGS FOR THE MUG THRONE.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: June 07, 2016, 07:58:31 am »

I didn't realize the manager quantity for conditional repeating jobs is a batch size, not a running total. Had to redo all of them because the jobs never stopped.

Finally got my first scholar petition to join my fort, after several years of only mercs and bards. Save-scummed after bungling some of my minecart stockpile settings (apparently it's per stop, not per stockpile link.) The scholar is now nowhere to be found, not even visiting.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: June 13, 2016, 01:03:21 pm »

So, working on powerless minecart percussion corridor plans....

Test of concept whether falling loaded minecart will spill contents...I learned a few things, like when dwarves deconstruct a floor, they take the minecart off it instead of letting it fall down.

I also realized that I should have just dug down instead of building a tower >_>

Every military dwarf in burrow dodged when it hit, because I forgot to wall them in.

Finally, on success I learned that no spillage and same falling cart can hit multiple creatures on same tile.

Ok, so time for a corridor....High cadence,diagonal for slower pathing, no power would make things simple, so lets try two valid ramps, floor and fake ramp...Of course, I've seen enough carts stopping on collisions that I should have realized this would pause on first hit. At least the dwarf got 21 exp from 7 previous dodges, that was cute. To add insult to the injury, it did only yellow wounds - right, damage is dependent on fall distance.

So, elevator designs. Initial proof of concept checkpoint elevator seemed to work, so built 1 5z tall one for diagonal iteration (easy to perfectly load and pause with single hatch thanks to quantum piles)

...I put the stop walls for walling in the same direction starter impulse ramp launches them from, thus putting the cart on the edge of a tile and making it backslide due insufficient speed.

Okay, so new design. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson?
Spoiler: "Haha nope" (click to show/hide)

Spent like 8 minutes looking at it and wondering "why does this impulse checkpoint + flat track checkpoint elevate properly but this one not"

Then realized that although both corners initially center the cart I forgot to account for corner ramp diagonal movement <_<

At least I have working elevator to mirror, but still. Same mistake twice in a row *sigh* At least only 1 misdesignated ramp and 1 mining accident so far.

*realizes the mirror would mirror the direction*

...I should get out of the sun before I get a heatstroke.

*reverses the polarity of ramps*

...that worked not so much that the section that worked before stopped working. ...I guess it's due the corner ramps at the bottom, but there's one thing I know:

I'm great at confusing myself.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: June 14, 2016, 08:46:19 am »

This is my magma minecart trough:

Guess what happens when somebody goes to retrieve the dumping minecart right after it drops an iron minecart into the magma?

I would have changed it to do a U-turn, but my magma forges are too close. Also, they never pick up the filled minecart for some reason. Probably too close to the trough to cool.

Double face-palm:

I changed it so that the iron minecart rolls down the ramp into the magma trough, instead of being dumped. It then sped through the magma without filling. I drained the trough, deconstructed the rollers, waited for the magma to evaporate, and rebuilt the rollers at medium. Still no fill. Save-scummed and built at lowest speed. Fill, but the cart doesn't make it back up the ramp. Save-scummed and built at low speed. Cart neither clears nor fills with magma. It just sits there in 7/7 magma unfilled.

Guess I'll stick with lowest and rely on other carts to push it back out. Edit: Did this and now they're spontaneously clearing without pushes. Not going to question it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:33:28 am by Bumber »

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: June 14, 2016, 07:04:50 pm »

Just realized that the whole time i was trading i was pressing 'o' instead of 't'. (giving the caravan stuff with nothing in return) Now i understand why my exported wealth is 0 and i wasn't getting any sand or glass.
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.

k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: June 14, 2016, 07:58:01 pm »

I was making a magma pool to power the forge, but accidentally ignited a dwarf. Unfortunately, this level is in soil, so it is covered in moss. The fire went from the dwarf to the ground, and then to everything else.

I thought the whole fortress would die in fire. However, my 20 soldiers had been sparring in the barrack for so long that on the ground no moss grew. They survived the fire.

And a poet and a bard survived, too. Because of the traffic, some part of the bar is free from moss.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: June 15, 2016, 06:47:03 am »

It took me 3 years to realize that one of my military dwarves had nearly maxed stress vulnerability.

It also took that dwarf 3 years to finally loose their shit enough to start throwing tantrums.

Hammerlords throwing tantrums in a very small crowded meeting area is not the best way to deal with stress...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: June 15, 2016, 02:39:30 pm »

It also took that dwarf 3 years to finally loose their shit enough to start throwing tantrums.

Huehuehue: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9660
On DF Wiki On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 711