Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2115872 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9810 on: June 28, 2016, 05:19:58 am »

Clowns now go in the (unfilterable) corpse stockpile. My corpse stockpile gives to a wooden minecart that dumps into magma.

Cancel announcement. Lots of smoke and I notice my minecart is missing from the hauling menu. I thought the size of the corpses was finally causing magma to splash.

I assign another wooden minecart to check. Dwarves start loading up the cart and it immediately disintegrates. Some clown corpses are made of fire.

I assign an iron minecart. The corpses are dumped. The corpses sit in the magma. Fire does not melt in magma.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:21:43 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9811 on: June 28, 2016, 05:27:40 am »

Clowns now go in the (unfilterable) corpse stockpile. My corpse stockpile gives to a wooden minecart that dumps into magma.

Cancel announcement. Lots of smoke and I notice my minecart is missing from the hauling menu. I thought the size of the corpses was finally causing magma to splash.

I assign another wooden minecart to check. Dwarves start loading up the cart and it immediately disintegrates. Some clown corpses are made of fire.

I assign an iron minecart. The corpses are dumped. The corpses sit in the magma. Fire does not melt in magma.

Drain a pool into the magma. Dig out the corpse-destroying obsidian. Carve statues of the demon from the obsidian. Decorate your dining room with them. No problem here, right?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9812 on: June 28, 2016, 02:33:37 pm »

Weaponize the corpses. The invaders come in, are shocked to see dead demons, then burn from the heat.

Of course, after killing the clowns it begs the question of "against what"?

Alternatively, use them to prevent freezing water perhaps.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9813 on: June 28, 2016, 02:35:42 pm »

Dump them into the magma sea. Any object that hits SMR will instantly disappear.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9814 on: June 28, 2016, 10:25:15 pm »

'I'm getting miasma. Why am I getting miasma?'

Check butcher shop, it has rotted gazelle I got killed earlier.

'Hm, is it because "haul all the willow logs from clearcutting willow" is more important than store item in vehicle?'

No, there are idlers...Plus only single-tile feeder pile for wood.

Check routes. Forgot to enable food for food cart *facepalm*

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9815 on: June 29, 2016, 03:15:06 am »

Drain a pool into the magma. Dig out the corpse-destroying obsidian. Carve statues of the demon from the obsidian. Decorate your dining room with them. No problem here, right?
Does obsidian even destroy magma-safe corpses? I thought they just got stuck in the tile, like regular corpses in ice.
Alternatively, use them to prevent freezing water perhaps.
No ice on my embark, but they could be useful for burning down trees. Unfortunately, collapsing trees destroy floor/ground tiles, leaving unpathable areas on the map which are a pain to find and fix.
Dump them into the magma sea. Any object that hits SMR will instantly disappear.
Don't want to risk magma crabs. I ended up just atom-smashing them.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9816 on: June 29, 2016, 06:13:54 am »

My bucket-brigade successfully converted the highest level of magma around one of my candy canes into obsidian, but took forever. I decided to expand my plumbing to speed the process up, and have been dumping the output of 40+ aquifer tiles into the magma sea around the candy cane to form a caisson. Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention and it turns out, a good portion is not just Magma, but Magma Flow.

That means I've been attempting to use an aquifer and dwarven engineering to flood the magma sea with water, and it is working. The top level of magma near the spire has already dropped to 0/7 within a 15-tile radius, and the level below is down to 5/7 and 6/7s in the areas that aren't Magma Flow. Admittedly, my FPS isn't doing so hot.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9817 on: July 02, 2016, 05:20:01 am »

Nearly flooded my fort in adventure mode because the map-edge fortification trick doesn't work there. Worse, I swear I'd seen the same face-palm before in this thread.

And now I did the thing where you try to jump-grab a wall, only to realize your hands were full. At least I only mangled my arm. (It was in a world gen fort, so not really a fort mode facepalm, but whatever.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 10:08:17 pm by Bumber »

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9818 on: July 06, 2016, 12:14:31 am »

"Okay something went wrong but we do have weresquirrels that crash the game"
Er, atleast I think that's right.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9819 on: July 06, 2016, 07:46:38 am »

Dorfs: "suspended link from lever, could not find path"
me: "..but you could pull the lovemaking thing, and the door you are supposed to hook up is downstairs from it!"
Dorfs: ".... could not find path"
me: "DO IT FFS!"
me:  :'( *rage*  >:(

... oh, the door is forbidden.  :o
Took me quite a while to figure that out...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9820 on: July 12, 2016, 11:41:04 am »

My bucket-brigade successfully converted the highest level of magma around one of my candy canes into obsidian, but took forever. I decided to expand my plumbing to speed the process up, and have been dumping the output of 40+ aquifer tiles into the magma sea around the candy cane to form a caisson. Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention and it turns out, a good portion is not just Magma, but Magma Flow.

That means I've been attempting to use an aquifer and dwarven engineering to flood the magma sea with water, and it is working. The top level of magma near the spire has already dropped to 0/7 within a 15-tile radius, and the level below is down to 5/7 and 6/7s in the areas that aren't Magma Flow. Admittedly, my FPS isn't doing so hot.

Somewhere in this subform there is a thread detailing the process of draining the magma sea and sealing the edges (by... itg I think?). The process is fairly easy to implement, but non-obvious. It looks like you have discovered the first part of it on your own. Congratulations!
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9821 on: July 14, 2016, 01:33:05 pm »

Just now:

Was working on filling in part of a volcano so I could build my fort in it. Everything was going well, pumpstack was complete, and I was just working on the canal for water delivery. Plan was to fill in by pieces using retractable bridges to control the flow. First bridge was ready, just had to wall around it for containment.

I forgot that walls can be built off of a bridge, but not supported by one. I designated one whole side to be built at once. I'm now down 9 dwarves.

This is shortly after I screwed up and created the channel for a magma smelter before the smelter was built. Urist McLegendaryMiner dutifully broke the volcano wall and then walked back into the hole under the smelter on his way back...
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9822 on: July 14, 2016, 01:37:32 pm »

Had one myself a bit ago. Deleted my raw folder to start up a new bit of modding experimentation...and realized I hadn't backed up the vanilla raws by zipping it up.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #9823 on: July 17, 2016, 06:58:48 am »

Why aren't my miners mining!?

The answer is the burrow boundaries, genius.

LockePhilote

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9824 on: July 18, 2016, 03:44:43 pm »

I forgot that werecreatures bite. So, I had my dwarves take the wounded from my wereass fight to the hospital. Come next full moon... dead dwarves everywhere.

Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 729