Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126646 times)

LostxInxThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1260 on: March 10, 2010, 10:42:55 am »

4 dwarves, a peasant and her two children, and the liason, lost their lives today, while I tried to fix a mistake made setting up some millstones.

what happened, was I forgot to add up the power requirements, and found out a bit late that I was short a windmill to power the millstones. (facepalm #1)
not a problem, I think to myself, I'll just remove some of the walls built around the vertical axles, add another windmill, wall them back up, and all will be well.
I removed the wrong section of wall.. it happened to be supporting the other windmills, and the floors under them, which came crashing down on top of the peasant and her two kids, killing them instantly. (facepalm #2)
turns out, the outpost liason was wandering past there to get to my trader, who was collecting wood. He passed under the windmill platform, and his body wound up in my graveyard with the others. (facepalm #3)

Oh well, at least I got my millstones running now  :D

Myiagros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: March 11, 2010, 10:58:13 am »

The first time I was ever sieged I was unsure as to how powerful the attackers would be, I was playing with Dig Deeper so it was a group of orcs, maybe 10-15 of them.

I drew up my bridge and sent a couple trainees out thinking they could drive them away with some bolts to the face. I took out maybe one or two of them before I got tired of waiting and activated my 5 Legendary wrestlers and sent them out to deal with the orcs. Upon lowering the bridge they quickly swarmed over my army, killing them all.

I ended up having to activate my entire fortress of 30 dwarfs in order to kill them all, at the end I had 5 guys left to carry on which I did for another season before the next siege came. With no military I tried recruiting the rest of my group as crossbowmen but as soon as they got to my fortifications they got pummeled by a shower of bolts from the orcs, that spelled the end of that fortress.

Kitpup

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fuzzy One
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1262 on: March 12, 2010, 08:08:11 am »

Just now, irrigating underground farms for the first time. Had it all set up, perfect plots ready for soil, had water already pumped up from the brook for my moat so I just channeled it to where I was going to farm, set up the floodgate then let the water into the farm channels. Pulled the lever. Flooded the farms. And then realized I hadn't built any drainage.

[/facepalm]

Edit: And again just now, listening to Taylor Swift wherein she mentions the Seven Dwarfs...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:25:43 am by Kitpup »
Quote from: My Brain
Dig little diggah, dig!
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: March 12, 2010, 11:48:22 am »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: March 12, 2010, 11:51:46 am »

So? Sounds more like good planning to me than a facepalm. Besides, from the buildings and the chair and table, looks like you found more rock. Unless thats from the granite you bought on embark.

Morgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: March 12, 2010, 11:53:13 am »

Make sure they haven't been selected to be moved by a dwarf. That takes them out of selection use until they get dropped off.
Because it's so amusing to hear stories of the last recruit, pressganged into defending the fortress, making the critical shot that saves all the battle-hardened veterans... then going crazy because the cats have filled the dining room with miasma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: March 12, 2010, 11:58:07 am »

Make sure they haven't been selected to be moved by a dwarf. That takes them out of selection use until they get dropped off.

Or perhaps forbidden. Still, just keep digging down and you'll hit rock, not that hard.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: March 12, 2010, 05:13:34 pm »

Just now, irrigating underground farms for the first time. Had it all set up, perfect plots ready for soil, had water already pumped up from the brook for my moat so I just channeled it to where I was going to farm, set up the floodgate then let the water into the farm channels. Pulled the lever. Flooded the farms. And then realized I hadn't built any drainage.

[/facepalm]

Too much water? You should have piped magma in. Magma solves everything.

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: March 12, 2010, 05:15:50 pm »

I made an outdoor, walled-in statue garden built into the side of a mountain to cure my dwarves' cave adaptation.
Turns out that when the goblins with crossbows arrive, the statue garden turns into a deathtrap.

Edit:

Also:

I hate my clothier now
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:38:35 pm by atomicthumbs »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: March 12, 2010, 09:04:13 pm »

I made an outdoor, walled-in statue garden built into the side of a mountain to cure my dwarves' cave adaptation.
Turns out that when the goblins with crossbows arrive, the statue garden turns into a deathtrap.

Yeah, I built a five-z-level wall on the side near my mountain when I built my outdoor park and tree farm.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: March 13, 2010, 07:15:27 am »

Flooding the HFS with water, forgetting about it, coming back to unpump it a few years after and discovering it's full of skeletal carp.

Hertzyscowicz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: March 13, 2010, 07:53:50 am »

Apparently, water wheels don't connect to gears below them. That'll set my artificial waterfall back a few months.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: March 13, 2010, 01:36:18 pm »

Apparently, water wheels don't connect to gears below them. That'll set my artificial waterfall back a few months.

Did you clear a floor tile out under the waterwheel?

Hertzyscowicz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: March 13, 2010, 03:13:50 pm »

Did you clear a floor tile out under the waterwheel?
The wheel was built hanging on a horizontal axle, with the gear assembly already built under it's middle tile. I guess it just coupled to the axle and disregarded the gear assembly. Well, I already rearranged things, now to figure out how to get the water all the way up to the WW (which is standing next to the topmost pump of what most certainly isn't a proper pump stack).

Kitpup

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fuzzy One
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1274 on: March 13, 2010, 06:04:46 pm »

[/facepalm]

Too much water? You should have piped magma in. Magma solves everything.

You know, I've been on a dozen maps and I haven't found even a tile of magma.
And much too much water. I was pumping up with windmills, didn't lay it out very well and didn't consider drainage at ALL. I will not make this mistake again. I will make a completely different mistake :)
Quote from: My Brain
Dig little diggah, dig!
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 729