Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2118076 times)

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fell Asleep: Abdomen/Thorax.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2190 on: August 02, 2010, 06:52:36 pm »

The other day, I had a fort going, and it was nicely set up ( I spent awhile laying it out in an organized fashion. )
It was the best fort I've ever had. I say had for a reason.
My carpenter, who I named Rudy ( I know, lame name, but I was naming quickly on the fly.), got into a "fey mood" and she claimed a mason's workshop. I ignored it, which I shouldn't of done... Eventually, she became posessed and then I had my problem. However, I was too busy mining out an elaborate set of bedrooms, and didn't really care about Rudy's posession.
I should've sent some wrestlers in to contain her, but I didn't, and I regret that.
Long story short, she started taking off her clothes around the fortress then she sat in my dining hall, and died.
My dwarves were all too busy drinking their beer to bother picking up Rudy's dead carcass, so she rotted, the cave filled with gasses, all my dwarves didn't like that, so they went insane and starved to death...

I really wish I contained Rudy before it all went downhill lol.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: August 02, 2010, 06:54:11 pm »

My dwarves were all too busy drinking their beer to bother picking up Rudy's dead carcass, so she rotted, the cave filled with gasses, all my dwarves didn't like that, so they went insane and starved to death...

Now wasn't that RUDE *rimshot*
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fell Asleep: Abdomen/Thorax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: August 02, 2010, 06:58:05 pm »

Lol, yeah, you know you're low on the fortress hierarchy when no one even bothers to bury you.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: August 02, 2010, 07:33:13 pm »

So I was making another stab at replacing the green glass walls holding back the aquifer with clear glass. (I lost the first attempt to a .10 military crash.) Here's a blueprint:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The stairs are the only entrance to what will eventually be my main fort, and currently my only source of stone, and indeed ANY building materials. (I embarked on a desert and clear-cut it ridiculously fast.) The plan is to sink the stairwell straight down until it hopefully intersects the first cavern layer, at which point I'll REALLY start to build this fort. The pumps are fully automatic, powered by windmills. The plan is to install switches for the doors and pumps so I can flood the stairwell at will. Being impatient, I've already got my miners working on the sublevels. They're getting a bit damp, but the floor space expands fast enough to prevent flooding.

I had 3 gaps in the wall with masons braving (or not-so-braving, as the case tends to be) the ankle-deep water to finish the walls. I also noticed that I had nothing for my lazy mechanic to do, so I started him installing levers and gears for the various irrigation systems. May as well start the work on the pumps' off switch as well.

Me: I just have to remember to suspend construction on the key gear when it reaches 'nearly done'...
Dorfs: Oh noes, the water is too deep!
Me: Where did all these blue sevens come from?
Mechanic: *smug*
Legendary Miner: (Five levels below.) Where did everyone go?

This is literally twenty seconds after I gave the mechanic seven different jobs to do. The one dwarf I could depend on to go On Break between each and every job finally got down to business on the one thing I didn't really want done.

Luckily, I had installed hatches on the stairs, so the only effect was a temporary work stoppage while I sent the mechanic back to tear the gear out. (He went On Break first.)

I am putting that in my sig.

{Mechanic does his work for a change - in fact, does it too fast}

(He went On Break first.)

Priceless.
And I will use that as a linkcase.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: August 02, 2010, 08:40:18 pm »

Oh f**k. I just accidently abandon fortress out of haste on my 10 year fortress instead of save, forgetting that there is no instaquit button.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: August 02, 2010, 08:45:30 pm »

Oh f**k. I just accidently abandon fortress out of haste on my 10 year fortress instead of save, forgetting that there is no instaquit button.

GG

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: August 02, 2010, 08:55:52 pm »

Okay, wow. New fort, set on a river. Need to pierce a soil aquifer to get to stone. An alligator tears off half of a miners arm. He's resting.  I continue, planning to have my other miner drop a big ol square of soil in. He drops it in, also falling in himself.

He's drowning for a frame, but somehow manages to get thrown out completely unharmed.

However, half of my food got washed into the aquifer tiles that were left exposed by me not planning my punch properly. Also, the soil turned into more aquifer.

Edit: Wait no, I made it through. I still only have a 3 tile breach to work with, and I still lost half my food.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2197 on: August 03, 2010, 05:47:37 am »

Mined into Huge cavern filled with gold and microline.

All the gold is underwater while microline is above water.  :'(
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: August 03, 2010, 08:49:02 am »

You must drain the cavern. You will also get delicious trees.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2199 on: August 03, 2010, 08:53:46 am »

Don't caverns have unlimited water?

Also, 6 masterwork plump helmet biscuits were stolen by raccoon. Their creator was very, very sad. Killing the raccoon, didn't help, I cant find those biscuits anywhere, probably eaten I quess...
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Richard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: August 03, 2010, 08:55:38 am »

My dwarves were all too busy drinking their beer to bother picking up Rudy's dead carcass,

I think you misunderstand.  That's called a wake.

Don't caverns have unlimited water?

Only if the water in them is touching the edge of the map (i think)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:57:45 am by Richard »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: August 03, 2010, 09:51:03 am »

"Infinite" water sources can be fooled by pumping water into them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: August 03, 2010, 10:39:33 am »

I had a mature fort of about 100 dwarves, and I am pretty good at managing them So they are all very busy
Anyways I wanted to deconstruct some of my front door defense structures. As most DF players know children will assist in harvesting and deconstruction. I noticed with dismay that my demolition squad comprised of nearly all children. Unfortunately for them I had never deconstructed such large multilevel structures before, Mistakes were made and well most of them didn't make it.
On any other forum my name would be considered dirty

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: August 03, 2010, 10:56:07 am »

So, my carpenter got possessed on my new glacial fort. I saved some wood, so he got that. Slaughtered a cat, 'cause he wanted that too.

A while later, he makes an artifact splint, menacing with spikes of fungiwood. Yep, that's really reassuring.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: August 03, 2010, 11:29:46 am »

So, my carpenter got possessed on my new glacial fort. I saved some wood, so he got that. Slaughtered a cat, 'cause he wanted that too.

A while later, he makes an artifact splint, menacing with spikes of fungiwood. Yep, that's really reassuring.

Comfty.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 729