Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095589 times)

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2205 on: August 03, 2010, 01:41:52 pm »

I love cave-ins.  I can't ever get a controlled cave-in like I want (testing my volcano burial mount), but as soon as I go for that gold vein on top of the mountain BOOM! Miner dead.  Even better, separating the constructed floor from the mountainside by means of channeling makes the game freeze.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fell Asleep: Abdomen/Thorax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: August 03, 2010, 05:24:15 pm »

Not saving... I figured DF wouldn't crash, because it rarely has ever crashed when I play it. I was wrong today. I clocked in about 2 hours of work today, then it all went to bust when the game crashed. Why didn't I save? I had a whole trap system set up, and I had discovered a cavern...
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: August 03, 2010, 05:41:10 pm »

Seasonal Autosave, FTW!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

weird beard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: August 03, 2010, 06:47:40 pm »

Seasonal Autosave, FTW!

How do you set that up? I NEED it.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: August 03, 2010, 07:00:02 pm »

Seasonal Autosave, FTW!

How do you set that up? I NEED it.

Init file.  don't even have to gen a new world.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: August 03, 2010, 07:07:44 pm »

Seasonal save ive found is buggy. Cloggs up space and trying to delete some of them leaves the current save file all wonky.

Peasant fort. No axes or picks. Dead civ. Facepalm.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: August 03, 2010, 07:18:56 pm »

Seasonal save ive found is buggy. Cloggs up space and trying to delete some of them leaves the current save file all wonky.
That's odd. I've used seasonal autosave for the longest time now. Are you sure you aren't thinking of autobackup? Seasonal autosave shouldn't use any more space than any other method of periodic saving, and shouldn't leave you with multiples.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: August 03, 2010, 07:51:17 pm »

I always use Seasonal saves. They work perfectly so far.

Bhaalspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: August 03, 2010, 08:34:29 pm »

I had, a while ago, decided to wall in a human caravan, in an effort to get their stuff when they died. It was a good plan, so of course I had to screw it up. After the few days of playing, I decided that they weren't dying fast enough. Drowning them in the room wasn't an available option, as I'd have no way of draining the room.

Then, the idea hit me...why not collapse the roof on them?

(if you're not facepalming now, you should)

So I went to the level and spot above the depot, mined out a room, selected a chunk of the floor to drop (a nice 5x5 square sound nice?), channeled around that, and dropped it.

(now, up to this point, this seemed like a great idea)

The ceiling crashed down on the trade depot, killing everyone in it...or so I thought. Part of the ceiling crashed through the floor into a ore storage room, dumping 2 humans (one merchant and a crossbowman) and 2 horses into it. a dwarf or two were knocked unconsious, as well as the humans and horses.

then all hell broke loose.

the horses woke up, and went insane. they ganked the humans, then went after my dwarves. one was killed outright, and the rest ran screaming around the room (one of them recently given birth and carrying a baby). I decided to activate the clerk/axedwarf, and send him in to kill the horses before they killed anyone else. it makes perfect sense that the clerk was asleep when i activated him.

sigh

so having to wait until he woke up, I activated another dwarf in the room (convieniently one being chased) and told him to turn and attack. CURBSTOMPED BY HORSE. the clerk/axedwarf finally woke up, and attacked one of the horses (killed it), but not before that horse killed another dwarf. the clerk/axedwarf chased down and killed the last horse chasing the new mother and baby.

I couldn't reload, as I hadn't saved for at least 2 hrs and had done a lot of work.

all in all:

3 or 4 humans dead
3 horses dead
3 dwarves dead

*facepalms*

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: August 03, 2010, 11:00:15 pm »

You know, you don't have to kill them to take their stuff. You can just select all their goods and press the "sieze" button.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: August 04, 2010, 12:43:55 am »

That's odd. I've used seasonal autosave for the longest time now. Are you sure you aren't thinking of autobackup? Seasonal autosave shouldn't use any more space than any other method of periodic saving, and shouldn't leave you with multiples.
In the d_init file, the first inputs you come across are Autosave, Autobackup, and Autosave_pause.
Autosave can be SEASONAL, YEARLY, or NONE, and it does exactly what it says: Automatically save every season, year or not at all. AUTOBACKUP is YES or NO, and it creates a new file whenever you save. AUTOSAVE_PAUSE is either YES or NO, and it also, is exactly what it says: Pause on autosave.

Edit: So, yeah. If you have AUTOSAVE set to SEASONAL and AUTOBACKUP set to YES, then you'll wind up with a lot of saves really fast.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

JonMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: August 04, 2010, 04:50:04 am »

My boys just disembarked right at the confluence of two rivers.  Boom!  Alligator attack out of nowhere.  Two dead dogs and two dead dwarfs later, my miner chases the bastard away from the wagon.  While he's off bludgeoning it with his pick, my leader (the woodcutter) goes berzerk from the trauma and hacks down a third dwarf, injures a fourth.  Dwarf number five runs for the hills, meets the gator coming back his way with the miner in hot pursuit, and dodges into the river where he drowns.  The miner refuses to abandon the fight - vengeance will be his!  Meanwhile, the injured dwarf bleeds out, the expedition doctor (naturally) having been the first to die.  That's five dead dwarfs 30 seconds into the expedition.

The miner finishes off the gator, drags the carcass back to the wagon where he finds the axe murdered bodies of his two companions.  His leader calmly sits by the river, fishing.  A bloody axe resting at his side.

Perhaps Luckycharms wasn't the best name to pick for this group.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: August 04, 2010, 04:56:39 am »

That is so awesomely incredible! You should get some kind of medal or plaque for that one!
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2218 on: August 04, 2010, 05:59:10 am »

Weaponsmith was possessed in the first fall, and I couldn't do anything to save him.  Then I got two better weaponsmiths to replace him. "Praise Armok!" I thought.

"Dobar Thimshuramost, Weaponsmith has been possessed."

It is Summer, year two.  I have nothing he likes.  Screw you, Armok.

I should also note these are the only two weaponsmith moods I've ever had and the only two possessions I've ever had.

Edit: My best stonecrafter was just possessed, took a single stone, and began construction.  /facepalm
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:03:08 am by Derekristow »
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: August 04, 2010, 08:13:32 am »

Weaponsmith was possessed in the first fall, and I couldn't do anything to save him.  Then I got two better weaponsmiths to replace him. "Praise Armok!" I thought.

"Dobar Thimshuramost, Weaponsmith has been possessed."

It is Summer, year two.  I have nothing he likes.  Screw you, Armok.

I should also note these are the only two weaponsmith moods I've ever had and the only two possessions I've ever had.

Edit: My best stonecrafter was just possessed, took a single stone, and began construction.  /facepalm

You want Fey moods or Secretive ones for dwarves, not Possessions. Possessions are all well and good, as you produce an artefact and all, but Fey and Secretive dwarves produce an artefact and also become legendary in their craft.
(Speaking of which, I've only ever had 1 secretive dwarf, and no fell or macabre moods at all... ever... even back in my 40d games)

And as of facepalm moments, the only ones I've had of late aren't dwarf related. Haven't been playing DF much of late, been too busy with Wurm, Medieval Total War 2, FreeSpace Open, or MechCommander. Intend to get back onto it soon, but until my determination comes back to managing hundreds (or thousands, as was the case in one of my forts recently) of little axe-wielding midgets again, I'm going to be busy making the longbow take over the world.
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 729